Mazda 6 Forums banner

Egr help!

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  waughoo 
#1 ·
Ok so my 05 mazda 6s 3.0 is throwing codes for the egr valve and is now throwing a code for a cylinder 1 misfire but brand new coil packs and plugs. Can the egr be causing that code?

#2 ·
Not likely that the egr is causing the misfire. I would check the electrical plug in the coil for #1 . The plastic gets brittle over time and the securing clip can break such that they dont have a positive latch and can vibrate out. I had to zip tie a couple of mine.

What are your codes?

#3 ·
+1 for checking the coil plug. All 6 of mine are broken and have zips ties on them. Also check the EGR plug. Mine was cracked and broken and was not able to stay in. It was so bad that individual pins were falling out of the plug itself. I didn't find that out until about 2 in the morning while I was in the middle of changing my injectors.

#5 ·
I had the baro sensor code and solved it by replacing both the baro sensor and the three way solenoid right next to it on the firewall above and behind the egr valve. I suspect that your codes could be related to those parts. You might also want to take off your egr and give it a good clean out. They sometimes get gummed up and fail to close or open properly.

#7 ·
They are fairly easy to remove. So unbolt the ERG valve (there a few good videos on youtube) and have a look at it. If it's really full of crude than you will wash it down with EGR valve cleaning solvent from the parts store.

#8 ·
To clean the EGR, had anyone had difficulty getting the nut loose to the EGR pipe? I can't break it free and am worried about cracking the plastic intake while it's still attached? Did any of you have to remove the intake to get the EGR off?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.