post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Egr help!

Ok so my 05 mazda 6s 3.0 is throwing codes for the egr valve and is now throwing a code for a cylinder 1 misfire but brand new coil packs and plugs. Can the egr be causing that code?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Not likely that the egr is causing the misfire. I would check the electrical plug in the coil for #1 . The plastic gets brittle over time and the securing clip can break such that they dont have a positive latch and can vibrate out. I had to zip tie a couple of mine.

What are your codes?
DJ Raydiate likes this.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
+1 for checking the coil plug. All 6 of mine are broken and have zips ties on them. Also check the EGR plug. Mine was cracked and broken and was not able to stay in. It was so bad that individual pins were falling out of the plug itself. I didn't find that out until about 2 in the morning while I was in the middle of changing my injectors.

Ray.

2003 Mazda 6s

Brakemotive Drilled and slotted rotors, Modified eBay CAI, EGR reroute and optimized, TB coolant delete, Brake light mod, AWR Racing Lower dog bone, AWR Right engine mount, BIG 5 upgrade, Battery Relocated, Custom Busbars, Optima Red top, 2 12" Planet Audio BBD12, Rockville Audio 1400w 4chan amp, Rockville Audio 8000w sub amp, RX 8 seats, Custom LED side markers, Lower rear bumper lights and lots more to come!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
Not likely that the egr is causing the misfire. I would check the electrical plug in the coil for #1 . The plastic gets brittle over time and the securing clip can break such that they dont have a positive latch and can vibrate out. I had to zip tie a couple of mine.

What are your codes?

The codes im getting are p0301 cylinder 1 misfire
02144 exhaust gas recirculation vent control direct low
P2227 barometric pressure circuit range/performance
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
I had the baro sensor code and solved it by replacing both the baro sensor and the three way solenoid right next to it on the firewall above and behind the egr valve. I suspect that your codes could be related to those parts. You might also want to take off your egr and give it a good clean out. They sometimes get gummed up and fail to close or open properly.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
I had the baro sensor code and solved it by replacing both the baro sensor and the three way solenoid right next to it on the firewall above and behind the egr valve. I suspect that your codes could be related to those parts. You might also want to take off your egr and give it a good clean out. They sometimes get gummed up and fail to close or open properly.
How to clean the EGR valve. The code one away for a little bit but it came back. So I'm assuming I need a new one but I will try buying a new sensor. They should be relatively cheap right?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
They are fairly easy to remove. So unbolt the ERG valve (there a few good videos on youtube) and have a look at it. If it's really full of crude than you will wash it down with EGR valve cleaning solvent from the parts store.

2006 Mazda6, 3.0L v6, six speed auto (all stock, and loving it.)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:13 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
To clean the EGR, had anyone had difficulty getting the nut loose to the EGR pipe? I can't break it free and am worried about cracking the plastic intake while it's still attached? Did any of you have to remove the intake to get the EGR off?

2004 Mazda 6 Sport Wagon, 3.0L, 5-Speed Auto Trans
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:12 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdafish View Post
To clean the EGR, had anyone had difficulty getting the nut loose to the EGR pipe? I can't break it free and am worried about cracking the plastic intake while it's still attached? Did any of you have to remove the intake to get the EGR off?
Yes, that mega nut was a bear.
I pulled the EGR out of the intake before cranking on it. I was able to get to it from the bottom with a 10" adjustable wrench and a 4' breaker bar. I believe I removed the resonator / downstream cat to get at it. I drowned it in PB blaster for a day or two before.
Good Luck.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:19 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
Yes, that mega nut was a bear.
I pulled the EGR out of the intake before cranking on it. I was able to get to it from the bottom with a 10" adjustable wrench and a 4' breaker bar. I believe I removed the resonator / downstream cat to get at it. I drowned it in PB blaster for a day or two before.
Good Luck.
I ended up getting the nut to the rear exhaust manifold removed with some heat, an adjustable wrench, and a small piece of pipe as an extension. Thankfully I didn't need to remove any of the exhaust. I just left the EGR pipe attached to the valve the whole time too. Cleaned everything out and it eliminated the P2227 code issue I was having. The EGR port into the intake was completely plugged with carbon soot.

2004 Mazda 6 Sport Wagon, 3.0L, 5-Speed Auto Trans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page