24hr test drive of 2014 GT black on black - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:28 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT View Post
I finally found what I was looking for... an SAE Paper (2001-01-0867) on the impacts of ATF cleanliness on A/T life expectancy. I tried to attach it... but at 962 kB it did not let me. It is located here, though:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

I attach below, just a snapshot of the first page of the article.

A bit dry-reading, i.e. a scholarly article, but in my view something that really corroborates the whole claim of why we want really low-micron filtration for an A/T.

Swarf circulating in the ATF wears the valve body out, it wears out the rolling-element bearings... roller, ball, and Torrington, it worsens the wear of the steels, etc...

We all want to maximize A/T life... as they are expensive to fix... and in some cases, upon failure - they efffectively "total" a car from an economic perspective.
Thanks for the link. I wanted to install a Magnefine transmission filter to the vehicle to filter better than the basic paper element one sitting above the pan. Unfortunately there are no external oil lines to tap into like many vehicles. Ours only have lines with coolant running through the transmission. If anyone has come across an aftermarket transmission filter that filters much smaller particulate, let me know. The Magnefine filter is definitely going on our Jeep when I change the transmission oil in that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Bailey View Post
Had it a few days ... new tint, alignment, new front rotors, brake pads all around, rim curb rash repaired and all repainted, headlight lenses polished...

Will look at the atx fluid change.

It still has the rattle when cold and in reverse I havenít had time to figure out.

Hope to give it to him soon.

(Yes, that is my Ď69 Bronco in the garage)
Would like to salute you for being an awesome dad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'14 JBM Touring - 6
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteGT6 View Post
Thanks for the link. I wanted to install a Magnefine transmission filter to the vehicle to filter better than the basic paper element one sitting above the pan. Unfortunately there are no external oil lines to tap into like many vehicles. Ours only have lines with coolant running through the transmission. If anyone has come across an aftermarket transmission filter that filters much smaller particulate, let me know. The Magnefine filter is definitely going on our Jeep when I change the transmission oil in that.
Maybe I am misunderstanding you, above.... but the transmission fluid runs to the radiator... and within the radiator there is a cooling loop that is immersed in the coolant. It both warms up the ATF... and it limits the max ATF temp, albeit to a pretty high level. Those are the lines that you would want to intercept with a filter.

The other couple/three points I should like to make is that i) not all of the "swarf" that circulates is metallic... i.e. which would become attached to a magnet. Some of the swarf is friction material from the clutches and bands... and so maybe the Magnefine would not be optimal, on that account; ii) the Magnefine (or any other in-line filter) indeed, if the Magnefine has filter media inside of it HAS TO be a coarse-enough filtration filter that it will not unduly plug up (lest it then totally cut off any cooling that the transmission needs and the oil source through the cooling lines that likely feeds another circuit or a bearing). So an in-line filter cannot be a tight-media filter. Only a bypass filter can be. Which leads me to point iii):

iii) that referenced SAE paper (and indeed, all other sources related to super-filtration of ATF) refer to the tight-media filter being operated in bypass. Then, when inevitably the super-filter plugs up... it does no damage to the A/T. Please see the attached graphic... which shows the bypass arrangement. Note that, say, a 5% bypass rate, if that, in NO TIME FLAT cleans up ALL of the fluid to a super-low micron level.

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada

Last edited by Cdn17Sport6MT; 04-19-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:48 PM

Garage
Attached graphic:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	How to Plumb-In as a Bypass Filter.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	227436  

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:38 AM
Learners License

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteGT6 View Post
Maybe I am misunderstanding you, above.... but the transmission fluid runs to the radiator... and within the radiator there is a cooling loop that is immersed in the coolant. It both warms up the ATF... and it limits the max ATF temp, albeit to a pretty high level. Those are the lines that you would want to intercept with a filter.

The other couple/three points I should like to make is that i) not all of the "swarf" that circulates is metallic... i.e. which would become attached to a magnet. Some of the swarf is friction material from the clutches and bands... and so maybe the Magnefine would not be optimal, on that account; ii) the Magnefine (or any other in-line filter) indeed, if the Magnefine has filter media inside of it HAS TO be a coarse-enough filtration filter that it will not unduly plug up (lest it then totally cut off any cooling that the transmission needs and the oil source through the cooling lines that likely feeds another circuit or a bearing). So an in-line filter cannot be a tight-media filter. Only a bypass filter can be. Which leads me to point iii):

iii) that referenced SAE paper (and indeed, all other sources related to super-filtration of ATF) refer to the tight-media filter being operated in bypass. Then, when inevitably the super-filter plugs up... it does no damage to the A/T. Please see the attached graphic... which shows the bypass arrangement. Note that, say, a 5% bypass rate, if that, in NO TIME FLAT cleans up ALL of the fluid to a super-low micron level.
The magnefine is designed to bypass flow of “plugged” up. Plus I would plan to do fluid replacements regularly anyways.

If you look up the service manual you will see that there are “coolant filled” lines running to an oil cooler mounted on the transmission. It actually states that you must drain the coolant to replace these lines. When I was under and around the transmission I did not see any other external lines running from it.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:01 AM

Garage
Ah, right you are. I stand corrected.

Diagram attached (item C is the heat exchanger).

From my perspective, then, all the more reason to change ATF often... i.e. you cannot fit either a Magnefine or a tight-media bypass filter in this arrangement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mazda6 ATF Cooler - Bolted to Case, Fed by Coolant Lines.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	227452  

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:06 AM

Garage
One more shot...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ATF Cooler, Pan Filter, Etc..JPG
Views:	10
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	227454  

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:28 AM
Learners License

Garage
Exactly. I’m in full agreement that changing it frequently is prudent. Fluid is cheap so I may do it as often as 30k for peace of mind, plus I really enjoy maintaining this vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page