Help! - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Learners License
 
mmoore9323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Help!

Hey everyone. I just bought a 2005 6 s wagon. I love it but I was tracking down an oil leak and I think it might be the oil pain gasket. How much should i expect to pay to replace it and should I as a n00b attempt what seems like a difficult job (pretty sure the cv axle has to be moved out of the way to take out the pan..)?? Anyway thanks in advance.
mmoore9323 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:49 PM
Registered User
 
MazdaMetalhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 28 Times in 28 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore9323 View Post
Hey everyone. I just bought a 2005 6 s wagon. I love it but I was tracking down an oil leak and I think it might be the oil pain gasket. How much should i expect to pay to replace it and should I as a n00b attempt what seems like a difficult job (pretty sure the cv axle has to be moved out of the way to take out the pan..)?? Anyway thanks in advance.
Welcome! Always good to see another wagon join up. I haven't experienced this particular problem but I'm sure someone else can offer guidance.

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6 | 5MT | Steel Gray Metallic |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods: 2015 OEM 17" 6 rims | NGK Iridium IX plugs | Matte black painted OEM wheels (winters) | Red painted calipers | Light black "smoked" headlights | R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads | Rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
MazdaMetalhead is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to MazdaMetalhead For This Useful Post:
mmoore9323 (03-26-2019)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:32 AM
Registered User
 
waughoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Edmonds, WA
Posts: 1,803
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 115 Times in 110 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Welcome to the forum. There is a dedicated group of us on here with wagons. Glad to have another amongst the ranks!

The pan should not be too terribly hard to do, but it does require a clean place to work as you are opening up the crank case. If you've done any wrenching before, it should not be that big of a deal to do.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waughoo is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to waughoo For This Useful Post:
mmoore9323 (03-26-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Learners License
 
mmoore9323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMetalhead View Post
Welcome! Always good to see another wagon join up. I haven't experienced this particular problem but I'm sure someone else can offer guidance.
hey man thanks for the welcome Just got back from the dealership and for the whole shebang it's probably going to cost me around $500. The gasket itself is about $50. So now I just have to think it over because the leak is pretty small all things considered. anyway i probably was hasty with this thread anyway. Will definitely lurk a bit to see whats going on here.
mmoore9323 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Learners License
 
mmoore9323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
Welcome to the forum. There is a dedicated group of us on here with wagons. Glad to have another amongst the ranks!

The pan should not be too terribly hard to do, but it does require a clean place to work as you are opening up the crank case. If you've done any wrenching before, it should not be that big of a deal to do.
i have not worked on cars much honestly, but i work as a pipe/hvac mechanic for a contractor so i'm not totally green. i was mostly worried about removing and putting the cv axle back, seems like a bit of work.
I love my wagon it's an '05 V6 i'll put some pics up soon. also--maybe you can answer a burning question. i bought this used and the trans fluid is kind of dark. do you think i should change it? it's not completely black, but i've been put off by a few people saying it's a bad idea. anyway man thanks for the reply
mmoore9323 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:17 AM
Registered User
 
waughoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Edmonds, WA
Posts: 1,803
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 115 Times in 110 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore9323 View Post
I love my wagon it's an '05 V6 i'll put some pics up soon. also--maybe you can answer a burning question. i bought this used and the trans fluid is kind of dark. do you think i should change it? it's not completely black, but i've been put off by a few people saying it's a bad idea. anyway man thanks for the reply <img src="http://forum.mazda6club.com/images/smilies/5.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" class="inlineimg" />
We look forward to seeing it!! Search for the wagon love thread. We have been trying to gather as many photos of the long tops all consolidated in one place as we can.

As for the trans fluid, @DrFeelGood is who I'd recommend weigh in here on your question. He will steer you right.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waughoo is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to waughoo For This Useful Post:
mmoore9323 (03-27-2019)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:05 PM
Rally Racer
 
DrFeelGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,522
Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Thanks: 121
Thanked 168 Times in 157 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore9323 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
Welcome to the forum. There is a dedicated group of us on here with wagons. Glad to have another amongst the ranks!

The pan should not be too terribly hard to do, but it does require a clean place to work as you are opening up the crank case. If you've done any wrenching before, it should not be that big of a deal to do.
i have not worked on cars much honestly, but i work as a pipe/hvac mechanic for a contractor so i'm not totally green. i was mostly worried about removing and putting the cv axle back, seems like a bit of work.
I love my wagon it's an '05 V6 i'll put some pics up soon. also--maybe you can answer a burning question. i bought this used and the trans fluid is kind of dark. do you think i should change it? it's not completely black, but i've been put off by a few people saying it's a bad idea. anyway man thanks for the reply <img src="http://forum.mazda6club.com/images/smilies/5.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" class="inlineimg" />
hello there, and welcome to the Forum. I drive a 5-speed automatic transmission and based on my experience keeping clean fluid is a pretty good idea. When I got my car, it had a fairly pronounced shift shock when going into 3rd gear. I decided to drain the transmission fluid and refill with Mobil 1 ATF MV synthetic. After refilling, I put the car in drive with the engine running and left it there for a minute then put it in reverse left it there for a minute back in Drive left it there for a minute. I would then drain the fluid, refill with the appropriate amount, and repeat the procedure. I did this for a total of 3x using about 10 quarts of fluid total. It should be noted that the engine and transmission were thoroughly heat soaked before beginning this process. my 3rd gear hard shift went away and has stayed away for the 60000 miles since. Every 30000 miles I do one drain and refill. I currently have 180,000 miles.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mozz-D
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX
DrFeelGood is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to DrFeelGood For This Useful Post:
mmoore9323 (03-27-2019)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Learners License
 
mmoore9323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
hello there, and welcome to the Forum. I drive a 5-speed automatic transmission and based on my experience keeping clean fluid is a pretty good idea. When I got my car, it had a fairly pronounced shift shock when going into 3rd gear. I decided to drain the transmission fluid and refill with Mobil 1 ATF MV synthetic. After refilling, I put the car in drive with the engine running and left it there for a minute then put it in reverse left it there for a minute back in Drive left it there for a minute. I would then drain the fluid, refill with the appropriate amount, and repeat the procedure. I did this for a total of 3x using about 10 quarts of fluid total. It should be noted that the engine and transmission were thoroughly heat soaked before beginning this process. my 3rd gear hard shift went away and has stayed away for the 60000 miles since. Every 30000 miles I do one drain and refill. I currently have 180,000 miles.
Very good to hear something straightforward. There are a lot of old wives tales about this. I can't feel any sluggishness or slipperyness in the transmission, i just checked the fluid and it looked a little dark. I think I will use the method you described. Thanks for helping me out with this. Could you let me know what "heat soaked" mean in this context?
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
We look forward to seeing it!! Search for the wagon love thread. We have been trying to gather as many photos of the long tops all consolidated in one place as we can.

As for the trans fluid, @DrFeelGood is who I'd recommend weigh in here on your question. He will steer you right.
I will definitely find the thread. I can't keep it looking clean since every day it ends up completely covered in tree pollen wtf
mmoore9323 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:50 PM
Rally Racer
 
DrFeelGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,522
Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Thanks: 121
Thanked 168 Times in 157 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore9323 View Post
Could you let me know what "heat soaked" mean in this context?
It means thoroughly heated through. Not just until the gauge reads warm. I only say it so the fluid runs thin even when you replace it with room temp new.
Double check your fluid type. The 5-speed uses MV (multi vehicle) and the 6-speed uses T-IV. Check the dipstick or owners manual. Clean healthy fluid is your best insurance against trans failure.
Can't wait to see it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mozz-D
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX
DrFeelGood is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:33 PM
Registered User
 
waughoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Edmonds, WA
Posts: 1,803
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 115 Times in 110 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore9323 View Post
I will definitely find the thread. I can't keep it looking clean since every day it ends up completely covered in tree pollen wtf
I have the same problem at my house... we have a lot of evergreen trees on and around our lot. I looked out the window the other day and the otherwise clear day had turned foggy yellow!!?!??! I had washed the car the day before and it now looked like I'd driven down a dry river bead for a few miles. Crazy!

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waughoo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome