Hello, can I get post access to the rest of the site? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, can I get post access to the rest of the site?

My wife has a 2018 Mazda 6 and really dislikes the two second lag from stomp to power. I'd like to ask if anyone knows if there is a tool to gain access to the accelerator pedal to install the Pedal Commander we bought.

Can I have post permission in the "How To" forums?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:37 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Thanked 1,156 Times in 843 Posts
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
First of all, Welcome!

Secondly, the topic you want to post about doesn't belong in the How-To/DIY section, it's more suited to the Tech/Performance/Model section. The DIY section is for people explaining things in step-by-step fashion how to do things, based on their own past experience...

Third, you can always ask your question here in this thread you created in the Newbie section. If any of us can help, we will.

By chance, why doesn't she just switch to "sport" mode using the button next to the shifter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:37 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 778 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2852 Post(s)
Thanked 4,046 Times in 2,840 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Welcome to the forum!

The board requires that you make 1 post in the 'Newbie' section before being given access to the rest of the forum. This was done a part of a group of security measures taken to combat spam bots.

Also, the How-To/DIY section is strictly for posting tutorials on how to do things. You may ask your question in any of the Technical/Performance sections.

To answer your question: Not that I'm aware of. Our accelerators are 100% electric and, short of getting into the ECU, there's nothing you can do.

Finally, that lag she's experiencing is part of 3 things: 1) It's an automatic and that's what they do. 2) She'll find better results if she puts the car in 'sport' mode prior to stomping. 3) At 10k miles the transmissions really break in and have a noticeable difference in low-end torque.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thanks. Sport mode and the floor switch do not deliver the power she wants. She's used to a 165 HP Subaru Forester with standard transmission and the Mazda 6 automatic doesn't deliver.

I'm hoping the Pedal Commander will make the car respond better, at least reduce the lag...

Here is a picture of the clip I need to remove: i.imgur.com/CP21HMM.jpg

I didn't know about the transmission break in time... I'll tell her about that. I'm not sure how many miles she has... I'll check.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:23 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
I've been happy with my pedal commander.

I didn't need any special tools to access the plug.

I think I just used a socket set to remove the pedal bolts and then insert the plug. But- sorry, I don't remember in detail. (It was quick, and I'm a schmo.)

You might get more information at this thread -
https://forum.mazda6club.com/2-5l-tu...bt-review.html
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:36 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 778 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2852 Post(s)
Thanked 4,046 Times in 2,840 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Check the OVTune threads then. I've heard nothing but good things about the low-end torque gained from that tune while maintaining MPGs.

Gotta remember, she has a 181hp tiny 4-cylinder non-turbo engine in a car that weighs over 3k pounds. It does a GREAT job getting out of its own way if you ask me.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

I didn't think about removing the pedal bolts! That's so obvious!

THANKS!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Final Update for anyone who finds this thread in the future.

The pedal does not slip under this plastic, like I thought it did. I saw a picture of a replacement pedal on the web and thought it had a huge arm attached to it. It does not.

The solution is simple. Remove the little oblong plastic covers on the left side of the pedal, then remove the two bolts that are holding the pedal down.

At that point you can access the plug, disconnect it (I used a little screw driver to pry out the locking mechanism. I was not strong enough to do it by pressing the lever.)

The Pedal commander fits nicely behind the center column on some smooth white plastic. The cord is much longer than needed and I put one of the included zip ties on the cable to keep it out of the way.

Thanks to Jim for clearing the fog from my mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raydude For This Useful Post:
dcoulombe (03-22-2019)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
@Raydude, be sure to also update us with the results! Does it make a difference? Does it "fix" the lag from pedal to power? And most importantly, did it pass the wife test?

edit: Also, is this the regular or turbo engine?

Tungsten Gray 2006 Mazda 6s Grand Touring - Finally another 1st Gen 6 to play with! New-to-me Oct 2018 with 107K miles!

Performance White 2003 6i Sport - dead, after 240K miles
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

This is a 2.5 liter, non-turbo, 2018 MY.

Update:

I do not drive my wife's car much. When I installed the Pedal Commander, I switched it off and then drove up a inclining road to measure the lag and power response of the engine. It's not good folks. We're both used to standard transmission, we switched to automatic because we're older and we don't want to hold clutches down in traffic anymore. I recently leased a Chevy Volt and it's 150 BHP is offset by it's 294 ft/lbs of torque, so there is no pedal lag and I really like it. But my wife's car, man there is some serious lag. Anywhere from half a second to 1.5 seconds, depending on the phase of the transmission, I guess.

I switched the Pedal Commander to "Sport" mode and tested it in a similar way, basically by idling down and then half stomping the pedal. It does respond better, but there's still a pretty significant lag, as far as I'm concerned. I was worried about the WAF. (Wife Acceptance Factor). I tried the Mazda 6 sport mode, again a slight improvement, but I didn't like it. I'm spoiled by my electric motor.

I drove back to the house and called her and asked her on a mini-date. She climbed in behind the controls, adjusted the seat and then I showed her how to use the settings on her phone.

(as an aside, if your phone pairs with your car, you won't be able to get the Pedal Commander to pair with your phone. You have to disable the pairing to the car, or do what I did which is turn off blue tooth on the phone, then turn it back on and immediately have the phone pair with the Pedal Commander. It will connect and then the car will not be able to Pair.)

She tested it first with sport mode on and said, "This seems better. Yes this is better."

I was glad. She tried it without Mazda 6 sport mode and concluded it was still better. Then she tried P.C. "Sport Plus" mode and that was way too twitchy (using a term I read on another review).

She's been driving it now for a few days, I'll ask her for an update later this week and post it here.

TL; DR: WAF is okay. Does seem to help. More information to follow later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page