Mazda 6 Forums banner

Looking to buy a mazda 6 in 2019

6K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Brightshen 
G
#1 ·
Hello guys!

I am new to the forum and I subscribed to it as I would like to get some end users and experts point of view on the Mazda 6. This is the car I would like to buy during the 2019 year.

Unclez

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Let us know if you've got any questions about the car. The best I can tell you is to go and test drive one because there no amount of words we can put on here to describe the fun feeling of driving a Mazda :)

#3 ·
I totally agree! I'm a first time owner of Mazda, the 6 in particular. It's totally different! I mean, if you're the kind of guy who enjoys driving then this car is for you.

The paddle shifter is great when you want some control. If you want total control, then you shift to manual. I seldom use the manual mode, even during racing as the transmission is very intelligent.

Do you remember the film "Avatar"? The protagonist connected his hair to the "dragon" (I can't recall the correct term). That is how I am describing how this car is connected to the driver.

I don't know if a test drive can totally describe what I have said. I wasn't able to try first this car before purchasing it. I know what I did is crazy as I called all dealers and looked for the best deal. After that, I went there and paid the car. I was running on a "deadline" so I needed to get one.

#7 ·
When I decide to replace it I hope the "HX" engine is available -- with a stick. I'd hate to leave Mazda over no MTX option, but I will if they try to force an ATX on me. I simply hate them.
If Mazda ditches the stick option, I believe the new Genesis G70 would like to have a word with you...

#9 ·
I drove the at-the-time Genesis before buying the "6".

It didn't impress me that much and I could nearly buy TWO Mazdas for the price of one of those. For that sort of money I expected much more.
Completely redesigned now, the new G70 is probably nothing like what you drive 5 years ago. The G70 with a stick starts in the low 30s, which is where the 6 is heading it seems...

#10 ·
I am looking to purchase a 2019 6 as well. I don’t understand why Mazda releases there cars at such odd times. I mean it’s physically 2019 now and they’re still manufacturing 2018’s??? It doesn’t make sense but whatever I have time I guess.
I bought this Mazda 6 last December of 2017 but my registration record says it's a 2018 model. Checking the internet, the 2018 model that I saw has a different grille from what I have.

#11 ·
When I decide to replace it I hope the "HX" engine is available -- with a stick. I'd hate to leave Mazda over no MTX option, but I will if they try to force an ATX on me. I simply hate them.
C'mon now, Ticker, at least in ur 'Burb the automatic is a decent choice - and GM generally makes decent A/T's! Having said this, I too am a proponent of MT''s... for fun, longevity, economics, etc.

#12 · (Edited)
Yeah, GM was so wonderful they stuck the shift cable bracket attachment on TOP of the gearbox (!!) which makes it quite a lot of fun to get to the torx-head bolts that hold it on -- and you cannot drop the pan to change the fluid and filter without removing the bracket first as the pan will NOT clear the internal transmission components with the bracket in place. Oh, and they're steel bolts into an aluminum case, so subject to dissimilar metals corrosion, and IF you strip the heads trying to get them out (blind, since you cannot see where you're working) you get to drop the entire gearbox out of the truck (after removing the driveshafts, transfer case, etc) in order to do a transmission fluid change.

That's yet ANOTHER reason to not want an ATX (and to desire to string up a GM vehicle engineer by his genitals, should I ever meet one)....

#13 ·
I was aware of the 6, but wasn't considering one early in my long search, though I was looking at the Accord. I had some interest in the Mazda3, though. So I went and drove it one afternoon. While I was in the dealer showroom, I walked by a '17 6 Grand Touring, which was the current model then. I got in to see what it was like. Wow! It was like the 3, but more luxurious with more features. Mazda cars are distinctive in their character in ways that I like. I told the sales guy that this car had grabbed my attention and we went for a drive. This was with the naturally aspirated engine before the turbo was available. Bye-bye 3. That was a long shot, anyway, but the GTI was on my radar and I felt like I should check out the 3 as part of that. I really needed more space, though. Suddenly, the Mazda6 was a contender.

I wanted more power, though, so I passed on some pretty great deals on '17 models to wait for the '18. I liked the idea of the added power and revisions to the car, overall. Then, once it finally appeared, I was a little disappointed by the rated MPG and the real world pricing compared to what I could have gotten one of the '17's for. The search went on, but the 6 always remained prominent on my short list. Ultimately, once the prices dropped enough, I bit.

To the OP and others who are interested who haven't owned a Mazda before, I'd recommend giving the car a good going over. I was able to get an extended drive. Without that, I wouldn't have bought it. I didn't feel like I had a good enough sense of what this car was going to be.

I like the car quite a bit. It's a pleasure to drive, has an appealing interior, and it's loaded with features depending on the trim level you look at. But it is kind of a mixed bag. It's shortcomings may not bother you at all compared to its strengths. But maybe they will. Spend some time with the car and see how it feels.

G
#15 ·
I am looking to purchase a 2019 6 as well. I don’t understand why Mazda releases there cars at such odd times. I mean it’s physically 2019 now and they’re still manufacturing 2018’s??? It doesn’t make sense but whatever I have time I guess.
Why wait for 19 when it will be the same as the 18 (updated) except you'll likely get a better deal on an 18 as the year closes out?

#16 ·
Why wait for 19 when it will be the same as the 18 (updated) except you'll likely get a better deal on an 18 as the year closes out?
You make a good point. I just wanted to see what, if anything would change for the 2019 model year. Maybe the resolution for the cameras will be improved? I will be special ordering the vehicle either way, so a close out price is somewhat irrelevant.

G
#17 ·
You make a good point. I just wanted to see what, if anything would change for the 2019 model year. Maybe the resolution for the cameras will be improved? I will be special ordering the vehicle either way, so a close out price is somewhat irrelevant.
Since the 6 has options pretty much locked in by trim level, what would the purpose be to "special order" one as opposed to locate the trim/color combo you want at a dealer? Cn you even special order a Mazda?

#19 · (Edited)
Speaking about a new car with minimal test-drive mileage on it... My '17 Sport 6mt had 5 km on the clock Christmastime '16 when i saw and drove it. Late Feb '17 when i saw it again it had 12 km on it.... meaning no one but me drove it, i.e. I put on those 7 km. When i went to negotiate with the sales mgr. I said "car's been on the lot since Oct. I have been the only interested individual. Either you're 'gonna sell it to me at what I 'wanna pay for it or it will languish on your lot..." He took my lowball offer...

Fact that no one else "practised" on this 6mt car was a compelling reason for me... I'm 'real fussy about that hehe.

#20 ·
Got it and in that context, makes sense. I generally don't like dealers messing with my cars as many times the screw things up. I too like minimal mileage and was lucky enough that mine had 9 miles on it when I bought it. Think that's about the lowest on any car I'v purchased. Saw a Soul Red with Chestnut at the auto show in December and I thought it was sharp. I'd consider it. Parchment is pretty light - basically off white - so may require extra care. (My Blue Reflex has parchment) Keep us posted on your chase of the 6.
My 2018 GTR had 3 miles on it. >:)

I didn't go for Parchment because I wear jeans a lot and I KNOW that leather was going to look like ass after a year without trying to clean it all the time. Keeping the exterior clean with Texas' bipolar weather is hard enough as it is.

I love the look of light interiors, but can't get myself to pull the trigger on them. Plus, the black interior still looks very nice. I wish you could get the chestnut color with the normal leather in the GTR, and not just Nappa in the signature trim.

#22 ·
I used to hate driving, it was a chore to me and I'd force my bf to drive whenever possible. I bought my 6 in December and you can't keep me out of the thing. I'll get this urge sometimes and I'll just have to go for a drive. I've never done that before this car, I used to drive a little as possible. It's a strange feeling for me, but awesome!

I love my 17' Blue Reflex GT! Today, someone pulling out of a parking spot almost hit me and I lost my mind at the idea of my car getting damaged. My previous car has a few dings, and scratches, but I just didn't care. I can't even describe how much I am not a "car person," but my 6 makes me happy. I actually thought "OMG, my baby!" after the near miss today which is beyond weird for me. I also love just looking at it, it's really good looking, and then getting to enjoy driving it is something else. Mine only has 4500mi, I'm excited to see how it changes with more mileage, I've read good things about the 10Kish mark. Budget wasn't a big concern for me, I could have chosen any brand, but the Mazda6 was the only car I wanted. I'm so glad I bought it!

I live in SoCal and we do have a good number of Mazdas on the roads, but it's still far from common, I love that's it's not just another Honda/Toyota. The only thing is whenever I see another one near me, I want to wave, but this is a tourist area and some are rentals, plus, it's just goofy! I always look though. I love Blue Reflex, it's my color, but I enjoy seeing the other ones too, even colors I normally don't like for cars. They are all unique looking and change in the sun.

#23 ·
I love my 17' Blue Reflex GT!
I loved reading your post @Brightshen . I could really tell how much you love your machine. I feel the same about my 04 mtx wagon. It still looks and drives great after many years in service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.