Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Michelin vs dunlop

Hi guys,

So this will be my first time replacing tires on my 2016 mazda 6. I was shopping around for quotes and found out that the dealership would charge approximately 1200$ fir dunlop tires vs Costco michelin tires for 760$ (as they have some deals going on). Regardless of the price, which tires are preferable for an all season wear and tear.

Also, what's the optimal mileage we generally change tires on mazda 6, preferably 2016 model.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 09:55 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashidharKalluri View Post
Hi guys,

Also, what's the optimal mileage we generally change tires on mazda 6, preferably 2016 model.

Thanks
Regardless of the brand, I go for the tire indicator instead of mileage. If the indicator bar is almost level to the tire thread, then it's time to replace it.

http://bfy.tw/Lh8J
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 10:57 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashidharKalluri View Post
Hi guys,

So this will be my first time replacing tires on my 2016 mazda 6. I was shopping around for quotes and found out that the dealership would charge approximately 1200$ fir dunlop tires vs Costco michelin tires for 760$ (as they have some deals going on). Regardless of the price, which tires are preferable for an all season wear and tear.

Thanks
Hi Even I am having the same model but i believe that my previous owner did replace the tires so I am good with them so far. I currently have Falken on the car but just for curiosity I was looking to see with tires I should go for next. The best out there would be the Michelin Pilot Sport but they are damn expensive. Medium range would be Yokohoma Advans, Conti Pro-Contact and Pirelli P-Zero have good reviews.

Dont go for the Dunlops as they have pretty bad reviews.

Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 02:23 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinciosky View Post
Hi Even I am having the same model but i believe that my previous owner did replace the tires so I am good with them so far. I currently have Falken on the car but just for curiosity I was looking to see with tires I should go for next. The best out there would be the Michelin Pilot Sport but they are damn expensive. Medium range would be Yokohoma Advans, Conti Pro-Contact and Pirelli P-Zero have good reviews.

Dont go for the Dunlops as they have pretty bad reviews.

Hope this helps!
Michelin Pilot Sport Tires are fantastic tires BUT they are NOT "an all season wear and tear" tire, Summer only.

OP: Which Michelin (model) tire is Cosco suggesting. The correct "all season" Michelins, if the price is competitive, should be an excellent choice.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by idrive; 01-09-2019 at 02:25 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrive For This Useful Post:
threedeuces (Today)
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive View Post
Michelin Pilot Sport Tires are fantastic tires BUT they are NOT "an all season wear and tear" tire, Summer only.

OP: Which Michelin (model) tire is Cosco suggesting. The correct "all season" Michelins, if the price is competitive, should be an excellent choice.

The technician at Costco has suggested 'Michelin Pilot sport A/S 3 plus'. Going through multiple reviews, i feel like these are the perfect fit my car, only thing these are 207$ per tire and guess what they have about 45k miles thread warranty on them.

As this is my first time, i'm looking for more guidance/suggestions on this topic.

On a side note, i have about 32k miles on my new car and the reason for changing tires is i ran over some metal object that was too close to the side walls to be repaired. Somehow, when i went to costco they said it can be repaired (Surprised but gave it a shot). After about an hour got a call saying that while trying to repair it they messed it up as the metal object was too close to the side wall (Dealership told me this earlier). So now, as this is their mistake they gave a prorated amount of 70$ to be used towards new tires. As i still have about 8k miles to go before getting another 2 tires, i decided to buy only 2 new tires from costco now. Is this a bad decision ? I know the general rule is to change all 4 tires once, but the other tires still pretty good and can go for another 6-8k miles easily.

Normal price: 207 * 2 tires = 414$ (plus taxes)
Price i got : 2017*2 tires = 414$ - 70$ = 344$ (plus taxes).

Is this a good deal ? Should i go for all 4 tires, as costco has a deal for 70$ off when you buy 4 michelin tires. Which would give me a total discount of 140$ (207$ * 4 = 828$ - 140$ = 688$ (plus taxes))
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:37 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I've been doing some tire research, and those Michelin AS3s are expensive for an all season tire, but that's because they're considered the best by pretty much everybody, and you're not going to beat Costco's current price if you've got a membership. I probably would have gone that route if I had a membership. As it is I ended up ordering some General AS-05s since they are a good "bang for the buck" tire and the expense was unexpected.
Kalalicious likes this.

Beep Beep
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:02 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I recently got a full set of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus tires and I love them so far, with the caveat that it's only been about 4-5 months now.

I did a lot of research and, same as Gohan, found that these seem to be considered the top all season tire as well. I was considering between going all out for the A/S3+s, or the General AS-05s as they did appear to be the about the best value per dollar you could get (they're both considered by Tirerack to be "ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE ALL-SEASON TIRES"!!1!1).

I ended up treating myself to the AS3+s because I could and for slightly less road noise.

Tungsten Gray 2006 Mazda 6s Grand Touring - Finally another 1st Gen 6 to play with! New-to-me Oct 2018 with 107K miles!

Performance White 2003 6i Sport - dead, after 240K miles
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:27 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
I put Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on my 2018 GTR and they've been fantastic. Cornering and acceleration is much more controlled vs the stock Falken's.

They're not all-season, so I can't compare directly to the A/S models. (I live near San Francisco. We don't get winter snows, so I'm using these year-round.)

fwiw mine are 235/40/R19- slightly wider than stock.

PS. I didn't notice any difference with road noise.
The Following User Says Thank You to jim94610 For This Useful Post:
threedeuces (Today)
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalalicious View Post
I recently got a full set of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus tires and I love them so far, with the caveat that it's only been about 4-5 months now.

I did a lot of research and, same as Gohan, found that these seem to be considered the top all season tire as well. I was considering between going all out for the A/S3+s, or the General AS-05s as they did appear to be the about the best value per dollar you could get (they're both considered by Tirerack to be "ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE ALL-SEASON TIRES"!!1!1).

I ended up treating myself to the AS3+s because I could and for slightly less road noise.
Thanks for the information. Did you notice any significant road noise difference after adding the A/s 3 plus ?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:56 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You can hear the tires in certain conditions, but they are not too loud in my opinion, and what I can hear is a decently pleasant low growl on some road surfaces. I don't really like road noises or wind noise that is too loud when I have all my windows up, but I balance that out against my fun-quotient need for grippy tires for my mountain road trips. I find that these tires easily fit into that balanced spot for me, as I do plenty of commuting and highway miles in-between trips up to the Rim.

Hope that helps!

Tungsten Gray 2006 Mazda 6s Grand Touring - Finally another 1st Gen 6 to play with! New-to-me Oct 2018 with 107K miles!

Performance White 2003 6i Sport - dead, after 240K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page