Michelin vs dunlop - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:45 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threedeuces View Post
I just picked up my 18 but am not a fan of Falkens and was already looking at the PSS 4S when I ready your review...Thanks! I've had several sets of Michelin Pilot Super Sports and they don't disappoint. I figured they'd be a big improving on the 6's Falkens.

For those considering the AS3+, I've had those as well on my wife's car and it too is an excellent choice. We had then on an 11 Accord V6 a they were decently quiet and wore well in that application.
For you, threedeuces, or anyone who's driven both the Pilot Sport 4S and the A/S3+ extensively, how big is the difference in performance, ride quality, and road noise between the two? I'm not usually a super-aggressive driver, just here and there when I need it. But clearly the Falken's grip isn't that of a performance tire and I feel like it holds the car back on certain roads. I don't like having to spend what it costs to upgrade the tires to something worthy on such a new car, but there's a good chance I'll do it. I want the Pilot Sport 4S, but it strikes me that I'd benefit more from the lower cost and longer life of the A/S3+ given the way I drive. Is the difference between the two tires particularly extreme in normal to occasionally spirited driving?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:50 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95350 View Post
Just out of curiosity, @Kalalicious how does one like and yet groan at a post?
I couldn't begin to tell you.... \_(ツ)_/

Tungsten Gray 2006 Mazda 6s Grand Touring - Finally another 1st Gen 6 to play with! New-to-me Oct 2018 with 107K miles!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Performance White 2003 6i Sport - dead, after 240K miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:37 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I know this is just discussing Michelin, but theres always the extreme contact sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
I've been doing some tire research, and those Michelin AS3s are expensive for an all season tire, but that's because they're considered the best by pretty much everybody, and you're not going to beat Costco's current price if you've got a membership. I probably would have gone that route if I had a membership. As it is I ended up ordering some General AS-05s since they are a good "bang for the buck" tire and the expense was unexpected.
I've had the AS3+ on my 2006 Acura TSX for the past 20 months. They are SUPERB all-season tires. Quiet, responsive, juuuuuuust stiff enough of a shoulder for cornering, uptick in MPG, predictable grip levels. I'll be buying them, or their updated offering when the 6 needs new tires.

The OEM suv tires that came on the 19" rim equipped Mazda6's are miserable.... And they definitely weren't predictable or fun on the race track!

9 cars and 2 parking spots, this doesn't make any sense.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 01:54 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
First of all, you cannot beat the Costco Michelin deal. Michelin makes a very good tire. How do you drive will determine the best Michelin. Do you like to drive fast (over 100 MPH) on winding roads or looking for all around use and reliability on a commuter car (and still handle well at 80 MPH)?
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Save your money and replace two. My 2007 Speed 6 GT has all wheel drive and is advised to replace all 4 which I did at 29,700 with Cooper Zeon RS3-A tires. Car currently has 58K and tires have plenty of wear left in the Coopers, so should go 50K pretty easy.
The Coopers are wearing perfectly, are sticky in the tight corners enjoying the cars all wheel drive. Literally no tire squeal but they are a bit noisy on certain pavements. I would buy them again.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:55 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have General RT 43 on both 2014 Mazda 6 and 2015 CX5 and they are great and much less expensive than Michelin. Tops in Consumer Reports review also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page