Michelin vs dunlop - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:06 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim94610 View Post
I put Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on my 2018 GTR and they've been fantastic. Cornering and acceleration is much more controlled vs the stock Falken's.

They're not all-season, so I can't compare directly to the A/S models. (I live near San Francisco. We don't get winter snows, so I'm using these year-round.)

fwiw mine are 235/40/R19- slightly wider than stock.

PS. I didn't notice any difference with road noise.
What did you do with the stock Falkens after installing the Michelin tires? I've got the same car and am thinking of changing tires, too, though I'm hesitant to spend the money so soon. I'd feel better about it if I could get something for the stock tires.

Did you put these tires on the stock rims? Those rims can accommodate tires that are slightly different than stock sizes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 02:16 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maigre View Post
What did you do with the stock Falkens after installing the Michelin tires? I've got the same car and am thinking of changing tires, too, though I'm hesitant to spend the money so soon. I'd feel better about it if I could get something for the stock tires.

Did you put these tires on the stock rims? Those rims can accommodate tires that are slightly different than stock sizes?
Yes, I used the stock rims. They can handle this width, but not wider.

BigO gave me a modest amount for the stock Falken tires, $50-100. (I don't remember, but I think toward the lower end. I think they had 200miles on them. But at least it was something.) I think they could be sold for more via ebay or craigslist etc but I didn't want to hassle with it.
Kalalicious likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jim94610 For This Useful Post:
maigre (01-09-2019)
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 04:50 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalalicious View Post
I ended up treating myself to the AS3+s because I could and for slightly less road noise.
I have a feeling I may later wish I had gone with the Michelins, but that extra $200-300 right after Christmas hurts

Beep Beep
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
I've had the Pilot Sport A/S3+ on my 2018 since I bought it new (swapped rims & tires from my 2015 6 Touring). A couple of things I have noticed:

1) Fuel economy dropped slightly
2) Road noise is definitely noticeable under rougher road conditions. When the road is glass smooth or interstate grade, they're quiet. If it's a slurry seal or gravel overlay road, the noise picks up considerably

I had the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 before the Michelins and outside of the somewhat premature wear (only 35000mi before they were at 4/32), they were an excellent tire. They are also about $30+ less per tire than the Michelins, though they are usually special order.

Though you have to replace your tires at 2/32" tread, it's usually a good idea to replace them at 4/32". This is especially true as you get towards the wetter seasons. The closer you get to the wear bars, the more compromised your stopping and handling will be. Once you get down to 4/32, it gets very noticeable.
Kalalicious likes this.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
I have a feeling I may later wish I had gone with the Michelins, but that extra $200-300 right after Christmas hurts
I totally understand! I was fortunate enough to be in a place where I could spend the extra dough, though I had to convince myself, as I'm typically a tight ass...

Tungsten Gray 2006 Mazda 6s Grand Touring - Finally another 1st Gen 6 to play with! New-to-me Oct 2018 with 107K miles!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Performance White 2003 6i Sport - dead, after 240K miles
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 06:32 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95350 View Post
I've had the Pilot Sport A/S3+ on my 2018 since I bought it new (swapped rims & tires from my 2015 6 Touring). A couple of things I have noticed:

1) Fuel economy dropped slightly
2) Road noise is definitely noticeable under rougher road conditions. When the road is glass smooth or interstate grade, they're quiet. If it's a slurry seal or gravel overlay road, the noise picks up considerably

I had the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 before the Michelins and outside of the somewhat premature wear (only 35000mi before they were at 4/32), they were an excellent tire. They are also about $30+ less per tire than the Michelins, though they are usually special order.

Though you have to replace your tires at 2/32" tread, it's usually a good idea to replace them at 4/32". This is especially true as you get towards the wetter seasons. The closer you get to the wear bars, the more compromised your stopping and handling will be. Once you get down to 4/32, it gets very noticeable.
How are you liking the A/S 3+ compared to the stock Falkens? Big, obvious difference?

I'm leaning towards these tires, too. I live in a no snow area where there is lots of traffic and I'm occasionally on curvy, hilly roads. I'm not that aggressive a driver most of the time, but I want to be able to get more out of the tires than the stock Falkens give me when I do want or need to get on it more. I'm inclined to think that the A/S 3+ will give me close to as good performance for the way I drive as the Pilot Sport 4S would. Someone correct me if I'm way off on that. The A/S 3+ is a little cheaper and would have a longer lifespan.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 04:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maigre View Post
How are you liking the A/S 3+ compared to the stock Falkens? Big, obvious difference?

I'm leaning towards these tires, too. I live in a no snow area where there is lots of traffic and I'm occasionally on curvy, hilly roads. I'm not that aggressive a driver most of the time, but I want to be able to get more out of the tires than the stock Falkens give me when I do want or need to get on it more. I'm inclined to think that the A/S 3+ will give me close to as good performance for the way I drive as the Pilot Sport 4S would. Someone correct me if I'm way off on that. The A/S 3+ is a little cheaper and would have a longer lifespan.

I only drove on the Falkens during the test drive. Dealer swapped rims and tires while I was in F&I, so I don't have long term exposure to them. The A/S 3+ would lose some performance over the PS 4S, but you would be ahead in All Season rating and the added warranty.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 04:52 PM

Garage
Just out of curiosity, @Kalalicious how does one like and yet groan at a post?
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 02:33 PM
JTC
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a '14 Mazda6 GT with 19" rims. The OEM Dunlops were good but didn't last long. I replaced them with Hankook Ventus V12 (Summer Performance tires) which lasted almost 40k miles. I just replaced those with the Michelin Sport Pilot 3 All Season Plus a month ago. These are by far the best tires the car has had. Great warranty and best brand heritage.
Purchased at Discount Tire in Georgia and received 20% off the list price.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:27 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim94610 View Post
I put Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on my 2018 GTR and they've been fantastic. Cornering and acceleration is much more controlled vs the stock Falken's.

They're not all-season, so I can't compare directly to the A/S models. (I live near San Francisco. We don't get winter snows, so I'm using these year-round.)

fwiw mine are 235/40/R19- slightly wider than stock.

PS. I didn't notice any difference with road noise.
I just picked up my 18 but am not a fan of Falkens and was already looking at the PSS 4S when I ready your review...Thanks! I've had several sets of Michelin Pilot Super Sports and they don't disappoint. I figured they'd be a big improving on the 6's Falkens.

For those considering the AS3+, I've had those as well on my wife's car and it too is an excellent choice. We had then on an 11 Accord V6 a they were decently quiet and wore well in that application.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page