Battery problem Mazda 6 2015 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy Battery problem Mazda 6 2015

My Mazda 6 Grand Touring 2015, purchased in July 2014 is suddenly showing a warning "Battery Management System Inspection" warning. This Mazda does have the e-loop system which means a special battery must be used as a replacement, cost over $500!

Seems like Mazda should have warned buyers of this expensive replacement battery & that the original battery will last less then 5 years. Not happy at all with the performance of this battery. My last original battery with my other car, a Toyota last over 10 years and the replacement cost was less than $100

Will Mazda do anything about this problem. Do the new Mazda cars have this e-loop (I-Loop) system. If so, I would not be inclined to purchased another Mazda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 03:13 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I have read an article about reviving a dead battery by using Epsom salt. You might want to give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TShelley View Post

. Do the new Mazda cars have this e-loop (I-Loop) system. If so, I would not be inclined to purchased another Mazda
I don't have this feature but instead, what I have is i-Stop. I seldom use it and its almost automatic for me to turn it OFF whenever I drive. I've heard that it's possible to use an ordinary battery. However, i-Stop won't work.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 05:14 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to zrxsteve62 Send a message via Skype™ to zrxsteve62
I have read on this forum that it is possible to use any AGM battery of similar capacity that will fit the dimensions. I have heard it both ways though. One says you need the e-Loop battery because it has some special circuitry, the other group says that an AGM battery will work and have pictures of the batteries in their car. The advantage is that the AGM battery would be much less expensive. The marketing information about e-Loop says that it delivers ~ 2 mpg better gas mileage. I drive 17K miles per year. If I average 30 mpg with e-loop I purchase 566.6 gallons of gas per year. If I get 28 without E-Loop I purchase 607.14 gallons of gas per year. The delta is 40.54 gallons so at $2 a gallon I save about $80.00, $3 a gallon = $120. Who knows if it really saves that much. Just trying to help take a bit of the sting out of it, particularly if it is possible to get a much cheaper AGM battery.

I have seen posts on this site that says you have to use the Mazda E-Loop battery (called Q85) because it contains the high amp capacitor, but this is incorrect. I found a Mazda post that details the technology and the battery and the capacitor are separate.

That would tend to make me think an AGM battery would work. I also found posts for other car mfg's with engine stop/start technology that use a secondary and expensive battery like Mazda does for E-Loop, and it sounds like people are substituting AGM for them as well.

Steve

2017 Snowflake White Mazda 6 Grand Touring GT Premium Package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
It's just an AGM battery. The distinction is that AGM can take very high-rate charge and discharges without being damaged; a flooded battery CANNOT.

Find one that fits and has the correct terminal configuration and install it. Screw Mazda and their crazy markup -- an AGM battery will run you $200 or so. It's 12V and the capacitor is separate, so there you go.

BTW AGMs don't have materially longer service life - 3 years isn't terrible for a car battery. I replaced mine already in my 2015, but it's a Sport (the factory one was a Panasonic) and no, I didn't go to the stealer for it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page