post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
2005 Mazda 6 3.0l v6

Just would like some help on hose routing, every workshop and service manual I get some how finds a way to leave what I need out. Got my 6 used obviously, they had stuff all over the place and I’m trying to make sure the hoses in the back of the plenum both upper and the one kinda hidden. Additionally they have a t in my coolant line attached the the lower end of my throttle body that certainly isn’t factory so pretty much where all the coolant, water pump, heater core, and bypass hose are routed to. It’s a lot I know that’s why searching google for hours has gotten old and it doesn’t seem like I can find a single v6 in my area to look at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdavis312 View Post
Just would like some help on hose routing, every workshop and service manual I get some how finds a way to leave what I need out. Got my 6 used obviously, they had stuff all over the place and Iím trying to make sure the hoses in the back of the plenum both upper and the one kinda hidden. Additionally they have a t in my coolant line attached the the lower end of my throttle body that certainly isnít factory so pretty much where all the coolant, water pump, heater core, and bypass hose are routed to. Itís a lot I know thatís why searching google for hours has gotten old and it doesnít seem like I can find a single v6 in my area to look at.

Could you possibly post some pics? That would help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Still Want lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<- ->
<-
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 11:19 PM

Garage
Iím thinking the tee youíre talking about should probably look like this, it should have a line coming off of the bottom of the throttle body mine is just capped because I eliminated the coolant lines going through it. A very simple mod if you wanted to do it btw.

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That’s the tee I’m talking about. It’s dark out now so I’ll probaly take some pics tomorrow. Is their a reason you have one side blocked off? And where’s the other side go to? Mines literally a copper pipe tee for house water lines. But more importantly I need to see the hoses going to the plenum and where they go.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:52 PM

Garage
2005 Mazda 6 3.0l v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdavis312 View Post
Thatís the tee Iím talking about. Itís dark out now so Iíll probaly take some pics tomorrow. Is their a reason you have one side blocked off? And whereís the other side go to? Mines literally a copper pipe tee for house water lines. But more importantly I need to see the hoses going to the plenum and where they go.

Iíll try to take some pics of the intake tomorrow, dark here in Ohio too gotta hate this time of year lol. That part of the tee is blocked off because it was for the coolant line running through the throttle body, I deleted these because on these cars they really donít serve much of a purpose so by getting rid of it you decrease the intake air temperature especially if you have a cold air intake like I do therefore increasing power. The other line I THINK goes to the heater core I will confirm this tomorrow when I take the intake pics.

I have seen a lot of those with household tees in junkyards, they break really easy I broke mine when changing my spark plugs I bought mine at autozone you can also get them from rock auto Iíll put a link at the end
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/.../+flange,11566

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
i believe that hose routes coolant through nipple on the throttlebody and intake. those lines are very misunderstood. people think the hot coolant increases intake charge temp so they block it off thinking it 'll lower IAT sensor readings. other people live where it's warm and delete it because they think it prevents throttle body icing in winter and they don't need it. both of those groups are misinformed. the actual purpose is to cool the EGR passage and lower intake temperature once the car is up to temp. it's part of the COOLING system. it fights heatsoak. exhaust gas is a lot hotter than 200į and that hose keeps the passages the hot EGR gas passes through in check. depending on the car and how long it's driving you may have an intake that is a hell of a lot hotter than it should be with that disconnected. if you delete the EGR system, it is safe to discard those coolant lines. if EGR functions, those lines should function as well. i have studied this quite a bit and i deleted those lines and the EGR system on my foxbody. not because i wanted to get rid of EGR, i like EGR gas and i wanted to leave it so could try to inject extra for mpg while cruising. unfortunately in 1992 car computers didn't have many extra sensor inputs. in order to datalog my air fuel ratio i repurposed the input wire from the egr's EVP sensor as described here: eectuning.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14947

new guy here. not a know it all, just a car guy that is always learning and willing to get in over my head. my profession is a signmaker. i'm just chiming in because i know those lines and their purpose.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 08:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertD View Post
i believe that hose routes coolant through nipple on the throttlebody and intake. those lines are very misunderstood. people think the hot coolant increases intake charge temp so they block it off thinking it 'll lower IAT sensor readings. other people live where it's warm and delete it because they think it prevents throttle body icing in winter and they don't need it. both of those groups are misinformed. the actual purpose is to cool the EGR passage and lower intake temperature once the car is up to temp. it's part of the COOLING system. it fights heatsoak. exhaust gas is a lot hotter than 200į and that hose keeps the passages the hot EGR gas passes through in check. depending on the car and how long it's driving you may have an intake that is a hell of a lot hotter than it should be with that disconnected. if you delete the EGR system, it is safe to discard those coolant lines. if EGR functions, those lines should function as well. i have studied this quite a bit and i deleted those lines and the EGR system on my foxbody. not because i wanted to get rid of EGR, i like EGR gas and i wanted to leave it so could try to inject extra for mpg while cruising. unfortunately in 1992 car computers didn't have many extra sensor inputs. in order to datalog my air fuel ratio i repurposed the input wire from the egr's EVP sensor as described here: eectuning.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14947

new guy here. not a know it all, just a car guy that is always learning and willing to get in over my head. my profession is a signmaker. i'm just chiming in because i know those lines and their purpose.

Not sure if the egr portion applies here, on these v6s the egr is not at all connected to the tb and it is located after it so the gasses go directly into the intake, those coolant lines only run through the tb not the intake. But this is an interesting piece of information that I did not know before.

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-

Last edited by bluedevil6; 11-17-2018 at 08:58 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil6 View Post
Not sure if the egr portion applies here, on these v6s the egr is not at all connected to the tb and it is located after it so the gasses go directly into the intake, those coolant lines only run through the tb not the intake. But this is an interesting piece of information that I did not know before.
where does the coolant exit the mazda intake(or tb)? i've never even SEEN the engine yet.

on dodge neons and 01-02 pt cruisers the passage is very obvious in it's purpose. the PT on the left it goes in and runs all through the intake. you can see the egr passage on the TB in my pic. the mustang one on the right the coolant only circulates the egr spacer. i had quite a few civics, they were similar to the PT in that the coolant would flow through the intake but i was young/dumb when i was a honda kid so IDK where the coolant was flowing in relation the the egr gas.

now you have me curious to see where the path of coolant goes after it enters the mazda TB. what would the coolant there do? i'm sure you're correct, now i'm curious what it cools(or heats?).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	225298  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 10:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertD View Post
where does the coolant exit the mazda intake(or tb)? i've never even SEEN the engine yet.

on dodge neons and 01-02 pt cruisers the passage is very obvious in it's purpose. the PT on the left it goes in and runs all through the intake. you can see the egr passage on the TB in my pic. the mustang one on the right the coolant only circulates the egr spacer. i had quite a few civics, they were similar to the PT in that the coolant would flow through the intake but i was young/dumb when i was a honda kid so IDK where the coolant was flowing in relation the the egr gas.

now you have me curious to see where the path of coolant goes after it enters the mazda TB. what would the coolant there do? i'm sure you're correct, now i'm curious what it cools(or heats?).
nobody has really been able to come up with a definite answer as to what the coolant actually does it literally only runs in the upper inlet on the TB (only running through the TB) then exits it on the lower outlet if you look at the pic I posted earlier in this thread you can see the upper port. some think its there to prevent ice ups at extremely cold temps.

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Garage
I have no way to find it, but someone on here, years ago, who was a bit of a scientist figured out the cooling effect on the air entering through the venturi of the TB. He posited that the temps could concievably get near freezing and thus his assumption was that the coolant lines to the TB were there to actually keep the TB from freezing. I challenge someone to find that post in the archives to see if my memory is any good &#x1f609;
bluedevil6 likes this.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page