2018 GTR - New Club Member, New to Mazda Brand - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
2018 GTR - New Club Member, New to Mazda Brand

Greetings - I am a new member and a new to the Mazda brand. Purchased a Deep Crystal Blue / Parchment GTR about a month ago. Some initial observations on the execution of some features:

At its slowest setting, the rain sensing wipers operate too frequently in light to moderate rainfall.
The cruise control, which theoretically should be straightforward to set, is finicky on my car and will not set at times.
Idle is a tad rough or high when cold
As some other posters have mentioned, the seat cushions are too hard. Hoping they will soften with more use
Annoying that the right mirror does not tilt down when placing the transmission in reverse (albeit this is a feature I've only had with premium brands)

Overall I'm happy with the purchase. I do regret not test driving an Accord. Was not interested in Camry, Altima or Korean brands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 12:23 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I'm happy with the rain sensors. Although I prefer the intermittent setting which is not included, just the Low Speed and High Speed aside from Auto.

Have you tried hitting the RPM just below the red lines? It's a great experience!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Re your comment about the Accord - tho this is a Mazda forum - consensus opinion is that 10 speed auto Accord 2.0T, in day to day driving, is inferior to Mazda6 turbo, by way of engine urge and A/T operation. You made the right choice IMHO.

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 01:34 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Congratulations on your new wheels. I also purchased a 2018 Six GTR last summer and have been very happy with everything except the very fragile paint. I have the soul red crystal (SRC) and noticed three small paint chips (one on hood and one of each front fender) within the first 1200 miles, a not unusual occurrence based on forum postings I’ve read. After touch-ups on these three spots with the Mazda brand two part paint marker, I splurged on a GhostShield clear bra for the entire front end up to the front edge of the doors and side mirrors. This urethane coating is crazy $$$ to install although still a small fraction of a partial repaint. I’m really impressed with the results - You wouldn’t even know it’s there unless you feel for the urethane coating beneath the edges of the fenders/ hood.

I don’t know if the deep blue crystal is as sensitive to chipping as the SRC paint but would highly recommend applying one of these clear coat guards while the car is still new. You can save $$$ by DIY kits but it doesn’t appear to be an easy job for novices like me. Enjoy your beautiful ride!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 01:50 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
PS - I agree with CdnSports6MT comment above concerning the 2.0T Accord. In my test driving the 10 spd. auto version, it seemed like a real Jeckle&Hyde vehicle, somewhat docile & dull in regular traffic, then crazy street racer fast when you punch it. Certainly fun but how often would I really do that? (I’m 65 and retired...). I did like the big Honda touch-screen LCD. The deciding factors for me on the Accord was 1) did not care for the high beltline view, 2) felt like a really big car although no bigger than the 6, 3) uncertain reliability of first model year and 4) funky styling. Would have probably bought the new Civic if it had a conventional (non-CVT) trans.
The Following User Says Thank You to Papajohn For This Useful Post:
Kalalicious (11-08-2018)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
I'm happy with the rain sensors. Although I prefer the intermittent setting which is not included, just the Low Speed and High Speed aside from Auto.

Have you tried hitting the RPM just below the red lines? It's a great experience!
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps rain sending wipers are a new feature for Mazda - I'm new to the brand - but IMO other Japanese and German cars we've owned have executed this better. My Wife has a 2018 CX-5 GT and she also wishes there was better 'Low" sensitivity. Not a huge deal.

Yup the car is beyond the break-in period so I'll be exploring the redline more. The sweet-spot for the 2.5T engine seems to be mid-range revs.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT View Post
Re your comment about the Accord - tho this is a Mazda forum - consensus opinion is that 10 speed auto Accord 2.0T, in day to day driving, is inferior to Mazda6 turbo, by way of engine urge and A/T operation. You made the right choice IMHO.
Thanks for the feedback. Its been a long time since we've owned a Honda product (2002 Accord). I'm 6'5" so seating position and leg room are very important. I've sat in the last two Gens of Accords and found the HR to be on the tight side. We had a 2014 Altima which offers a lot of Head and Leg room. Also the seats in the last Gen Accord really suck. So much so that there was rumor of a class action suit based on the thousands of complaints. I would have liked to have sat in/drove the latest Gen Accord but that's water under the bridge now.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajohn View Post
PS - I agree with CdnSports6MT comment above concerning the 2.0T Accord. In my test driving the 10 spd. auto version, it seemed like a real Jeckle&Hyde vehicle, somewhat docile & dull in regular traffic, then crazy street racer fast when you punch it. Certainly fun but how often would I really do that? (I’m 65 and retired...). I did like the big Honda touch-screen LCD. The deciding factors for me on the Accord was 1) did not care for the high beltline view, 2) felt like a really big car although no bigger than the 6, 3) uncertain reliability of first model year and 4) funky styling. Would have probably bought the new Civic if it had a conventional (non-CVT) trans.
I drove a 2015 V6 Accord and man that car bordered on beastly when floored - really quick. But I had back pain within 5 minutes of sitting in the driver seat. Also I didn't like the controls - every input required using the touch screen.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajohn View Post
Congratulations on your new wheels. I also purchased a 2018 Six GTR last summer and have been very happy with everything except the very fragile paint. I have the soul red crystal (SRC) and noticed three small paint chips (one on hood and one of each front fender) within the first 1200 miles, a not unusual occurrence based on forum postings I’ve read. After touch-ups on these three spots with the Mazda brand two part paint marker, I splurged on a GhostShield clear bra for the entire front end up to the front edge of the doors and side mirrors. This urethane coating is crazy $$$ to install although still a small fraction of a partial repaint. I’m really impressed with the results - You wouldn’t even know it’s there unless you feel for the urethane coating beneath the edges of the fenders/ hood.

I don’t know if the deep blue crystal is as sensitive to chipping as the SRC paint but would highly recommend applying one of these clear coat guards while the car is still new. You can save $$$ by DIY kits but it doesn’t appear to be an easy job for novices like me. Enjoy your beautiful ride!
Sorry to hear about the chips. Maybe there's differences in Mazda's paint process and materials (clear coat) from other manufactures but its really hard to answer factually. 10 years ago GM was famous for quality defects and differences in the application and result of clear coat (soft vs hard). I did a paint correction job on a friend's 2008 Corvette Z06 with 80K miles and was amazed at the lack of chips or swirls in the paint. But of course chips are a different story. When washing my GTR for the first time a couple of weeks ago noticed afterwards that there were some fine scratches not present before wash. I use high quality tools and product. But fine scratching comes with the territory with darker paint. I'm familiar with a similar product to Ghostshield that I used on a Volkswagen but only the front area that a traditional bra covers. Really impressed with the protection. Thanks for the info.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpwhit View Post
Sorry to hear about the chips. Maybe there's differences in Mazda's paint process and materials (clear coat) from other manufactures but its really hard to answer factually. 10 years ago GM was famous for quality defects and differences in the application and result of clear coat (soft vs hard). I did a paint correction job on a friend's 2008 Corvette Z06 with 80K miles and was amazed at the lack of chips or swirls in the paint. But of course chips are a different story. When washing my GTR for the first time a couple of weeks ago noticed afterwards that there were some fine scratches not present before wash. I use high quality tools and product. But fine scratching comes with the territory with darker paint. I'm familiar with a similar product to Ghostshield that I used on a Volkswagen but only the front area that a traditional bra covers. Really impressed with the protection. Thanks for the info.
You don't have Soul Red Crystal, however the paint booth info will be the same for your color. Mazda is intentionally producing very thin, environmentally sustainable paints and application processes.

https://forum.mazda6club.com/picture...d-crystal.html

There is also a natural reduction in chips on Corvette's based on the type of fiberglass they use for the body. GM destroys the competition with their fiberglass work.

What did you use for the paint correction on the Vette?

9 cars and 2 parking spots, this doesn't make any sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page