New 2018 Sport MT owner, awaiting interior upgrades: leather, tint, footwell lighting - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
New 2018 Sport MT owner, awaiting interior upgrades: leather, tint, footwell lighting

Picked up my 2018 6MT Sport last week, no complaints after 80 miles, just stuff I miss at the moment (auto headlights, more detailed info display, and sunroof even though I only actually used it maybe once per year). She's in the shop for leather this week, and next week gets tint, new speakers, footwell lighting and clear bra. Got OEM plate frames and those shiny OEM door sill plates, will get at those after all that, and in 2-3 months I'll upgrade MZD Connect with Android Auto/Carplay (after bugs get worked out and install gets cheaper). I wanted the MT versus the turbo (couldn't justify spending several extra $thousand for a 40hp gain plus those other minor luxuries that I will eventually no longer miss).

Thanks in advance for everyone's help here.
LIMazda6 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Welcome! You are the officially the first one out of dozens here who got an 18 with a manual! That's what I love to see.
bayareacraig likes this.

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6 | 5MT | Steel Gray Metallic |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods: 2015 OEM 17" 6 rims | NGK Iridium IX plugs | Matte black painted OEM wheels (winters) | Red painted calipers | Light black "smoked" headlights | R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads | Rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
The Following User Says Thank You to MazdaMetalhead For This Useful Post:
bayareacraig (10-25-2018)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
MT > AT

Torque > HP

It's a tough decision, you made the best one for you and it sounds like it's going to be getting some love from it's owner! Can't wait to see the interior after it's done, and congrats on being a happy camper!

9 cars and 2 parking spots, this doesn't make any sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thanks to both of you. Yes, no argument on the torque, and I really did want a MT anyway, so, there you go. What I *really* wanted was a 6MT AWD Wagon, but Mazda is simply too small of a company to sell enough of them in USDM profitably. Or so I hear. But this NA engine with its engaging MT should remain pretty fun, reliable and cheap to operate & maintain for the next 5-7 years, after which hopefully I'll be able to upgrade to an EV. Good "fun for the dollar" quotient.

No Touring MT this year, so pickins are slim - in fact there were not many manuals available, at all... 3 weeks ago I counted only 134 of them in the US (using an auto search web site). One was a 2017.5 Sport MT. About a third of those 134 were on the West Coast. Still, they are slow movers. I sent an email inquiry via the AAA buying program web site and they emailed me back an offer of $17,751 for the "base" colors - I upgraded to Machine Gray for the extra $300. Had to finance via Mazda in order to get that price - even with my crappy credit score it will be worth it, as I am using the equity from my outgoing car to pay off a 25% interest credit card. The rate arbitrage makes the deal a good one.

I'll post pics of the leather seats and door panel inserts on Saturday. They couldn't do the center console/armrests/dash accents. Those will stay black. It will still look good though, because those all sort of echo each other, design wise, with the seats and door inserts being the second color.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome and Save the manuals!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2641.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	566.1 KB
ID:	224624  
bayareacraig likes this.

2016 Touring manual Deep Crystal Blue Mica/Sand leatherette

35% 3M Ceramic film|OEM NAVI, cargo tray, F&R splash guards|TPI C726445F Wheel Locks|Interior & BKup LEDs|iJDMTOY Fogs yellow Lamin-x & H9s Mazda stalk|H9 headlights
A119 dashcam w/GPS & Lexar microSDXC 128GB|Polk Audio DB351s/100V 47uF caps in dash|DXI 651s rear doors|Kenwood KSC-SW11 subwoofer|Thermoquiet acoustic insulation
The Following User Says Thank You to BrianU For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Congrats on your new 2018 6 maybe consider getting ceramic window tint I’m going to get our windshield tinted with clear ceramic window tint because my buddy did his and it’s much cooler now.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareacraig View Post
...She's in the shop for leather this week...

Congrats and welcome aboard. You negotiated a phenomenal price on your Sport. Out of curiosity, are you getting a Katzkin leather kit installed? I'm surprised aftermarket leather options are available already. The crappy cloth interior was the single biggest reason I opted to buy a leftover 2017.5 6MT. Well that, and the fact that you could get the 6 speed manual on the 2017.5 Touring spec, and would lose so many great features to get the 6MT on a 2018 (...leatherette interior, automatic headlights, navigation, rain sensing wipers, 19 inch wheels, etc.)

Mazda's decision to relegate it to just the Sport models is the death knell for the manual transmission on the 6 in the fullness of time. Stupid decision. if they wanted to reduce the number of trim variants, they should kept the 6MT Touring and gotten rid of the base Sport.
BrianU likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to TitaniumVT For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumVT View Post
Out of curiosity, are you getting a Katzkin leather kit installed?
Yes! This is the first 2018 6 Sport this shop has done. They do a lot of work for dealers (my 2 previous vehicles included). The pattern is slightly different between the 2016/17 and the 2018. They don't include doors/armrests, center console, or that slick dash trim. Oh well. They agreed to do the door panel inserts for extra $$, just not the surrounding areas of the panels. My past 2 vehicles I did in two-toned seats, but this is going single tone - I wanted to get something approaching an Audi Q5 look. I'll start a different thread for that since we're gonna get too far OT past this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumVT View Post
The crappy cloth interior was the single biggest reason I opted to buy a leftover 2017.5 6MT. Well that, and the fact that you could get the 6 speed manual on the 2017.5 Touring spec, and would lose so many great features to get the 6MT on a 2018
I agree with you - the 2017.5 Touring was a good buy in the MT. I would have chosen that one and just swapped out the leatherette for Katzkin seats after saving some $$. I looked for one West of the Mississippi, but could not find any. Might have been one in NY, RI or CT but not sure. I will miss the auto headlights, already do after 80 miles of daytime driving - have yet to drive it at night. (We have tunnels.) Sort of miss electric seat controls but I'll be the only driver of this (especially thanks to the MT, haha). Never had heated seats before, or rain-sensing wipers (that I know of). I would have liked 18" wheels at least. The 17's are a little bit small for this car, though the ride is nice 'n quiet with them. The 19's look sweet and I like the brighter color, more than my grayish wheels. And changing the wheels is a $2K proposition just by themselves, let alone adjusting speedo/odo, spacers, other components, etc.!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareacraig View Post
Picked up my 2018 6MT Sport last week, no complaints after 80 miles, just stuff I miss at the moment (auto headlights, more detailed info display, and sunroof even though I only actually used it maybe once per year). She's in the shop for leather this week, and next week gets tint, new speakers, footwell lighting and clear bra. Got OEM plate frames and those shiny OEM door sill plates, will get at those after all that, and in 2-3 months I'll upgrade MZD Connect with Android Auto/Carplay (after bugs get worked out and install gets cheaper). I wanted the MT versus the turbo (couldn't justify spending several extra $thousand for a 40hp gain plus those other minor luxuries that I will eventually no longer miss).

Thanks in advance for everyone's help here.

And what about the additional 120 torqies ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Yeah, I am coming from a turbo with a little less torque but in a lighter vehicle, so yes, I will miss it. But my 6 is a stick, so I'll make do. I have no plans to track my 6, or even mod it. It will stay stock after the few changes I am making upfront.

Probably should have added that my preferred car would have been a 2013 BMW 535i xD Gran Tourismo for the same price, if I could have found one that wouldn't cost anything (more than oil changes) to maintain for the next 5 years. Suppose that might have been possible, as long as I didn't intend to actually drive it. But I need a car that I can use, and I could only spend $20K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page