post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gen 1 purchase info

Hello all. I'm looking to purchase an 05 or newer gen 1 wagon. I will be using mainly as a commuter for work. What do I need to make sure is done on a car before purchase? I know most cars now-a-days have timing belts that need done, do these motors have belts or chains?

Is there a buyers sticky available? I did a search but didn't find much. Still learning to navigate the site I guess. Thanks for any help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
I recently purchased a relatively low-mileage 04 wagon. Here is what I have done so far.

https://forum.mazda6club.com/1st-gen...intenance.html

The V6 has a timing chain.

2004 Mazda6 Sport Wagon
2017 MX5 Grand Touring
2016 CX5 Grand Touring

I work at a Mazda dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thanks Dave. I read your thread already! I've checked out the first 10 pages of threads in the gen1 section.

I looked at one today that is making a noise when you start it. How much of a pain is swapping out the starters in these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
Thanks Dave. I read your thread already! I've checked out the first 10 pages of threads in the gen1 section.

I looked at one today that is making a noise when you start it. How much of a pain is swapping out the starters in these?
Just nuts and bolts. Nothing overly difficult, if you know how to handle a wrench.

2004 Mazda6 Sport Wagon
2017 MX5 Grand Touring
2016 CX5 Grand Touring

I work at a Mazda dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Yeah, I'm good with mechanical stuff. I work on a lot of military 6x6 trucks for a hobby.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 09:46 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum.

I would put a OBDII code reader on it and see if there is anything or it was just reset.
Ask how much oil it uses. They all use oil so if you are told "none" I would be wary. The range seems to be somewhere between 1-2.5 qts every 3000mi.
Ask when the plugs and coils were replaced. A reasonable number for this seems to be 80-100K miles.

There are two real killers for the early model V6's (03-05) and that seems to be an uncorrected mis-fire (plugs and coils) that destroys the catalytic converters and an EGR malfunction that pulls oil out of the crankcase and puts it into combustion.

The last thing I would check is to make sure the transmission fluid is healthy and hopefully has been changed regularly (if ATX).

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Good to know. At one point I was of the opinion that manual transmissions were more robust, seems the autos are pretty reliable if maintained. I may have to give the 6sp auto a try.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

I've been reading about a lot of cat issues. Is there a way to tell if they've been addressed other than to ask the owner? How hard is it to swap them out? There doesn't seem to be an abundance of room under the hood!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I've been reading about a lot of cat issues. Is there a way to tell if they've been addressed other than to ask the owner? How hard is it to swap them out? There doesn't seem to be an abundance of room under the hood!
The cat issues really only seem to arise when maintenance is neglected such as misfires (excessive raw fuel entering the cats) or faulty pcv's (excessive oil entering the cats) and it seems to be a bigger issue on the earlier 6's (03-05). As far as replacing them I have not had mine off but the rear one looks fairly easy to get to from under the car the front is a completely different story I imagine by moving the radiator you could probably access it better the real problem would be the possibility of studs breaking off in the head because these engines are aluminum. If you get a later one (06-08- the exhausts are routed differently) you can gut the cats while they are still on the car with a long drill bit (I did this a few weeks ago), that is if you don't have emissions testing where you are.

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods-tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod with Trans Temp-Oil Pressure-Voltmeter, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, rear muffler delete, gutted cats/MF muffler

Mods to come
- lowering springs,

Audio- OE NON-Bose HU with 4 Boss Audio door speakers powered by 1000 watt Crunch amp with OE Bose sub

Other Cars 07 charger 5.7(factory patrol car) 14 Jeep patriot 04 Ram 2500 5.7
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Quote:
Good to know. At one point I was of the opinion that manual transmissions were more robust, seems the autos are pretty reliable if maintained. I may have to give the 6sp auto a try.
This is only my personal preference, but I would steer you back towards the manual transmission. The V6 wagon is such a joy to drive with a stick that I couldn't imagine the experience could be matched with a slushbox 🙂

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6, 5MT, Steel Gray Metallic
Mods: Pinstripes removed, rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page