Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
New in Oakland

Hello everyone.

I just purchased a 2018 Mazda 6 with GT Reserve package (blue reflex mica, parchment).

(I closely compared the Mazda and a 2018 Honda Accord Sport MT. I liked both cars. I especially liked the Accordís manual transmission with the larger/turbo engine, but I ended up preferring the Mazda 6 overall.)

Iím loving the car; it drives reasonably well, itís beautiful, and itís comfortable.

I replaced the stock tires (with some Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, 235/40/19).

I hope to lower the car, a bit, and tighten the suspension. (Iíve read in these forums a bit about, eg, using HR springs and Koni shocks for that ... I hope to research that some more.)

PS. I owned a 3rd generation RX-7 in the mid 90ís- and loved that car, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome aboard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 09:06 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Welcome and enjoy this wonderful car.
Nice fast quiet comfortable...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
This is the car
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mazda 6.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	223826  
Bill_k likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
I replaced the stock tires with Michelin pilot sport 4s's - summer/performance tires (we don't have a winter here in the bay area).

They are 235/40/19 - a little wider, and lower sidewall.

It rides a lot better with these tires - holds the road and corners with more confidence.

The overall tire diameter is about about 1/2" less with these new tires. That seems to be just slightly visible, which I wasn't expecting- a little bit more gap between the tire and the wheel well- but that might be my imagination. (The picture above is the original tires.)

Still .. even with the tighter sidewall, I still find the suspension a little too smooth/loose. I'm looking to tighten it up a little, and lower the car a little at the same time.

Would aftermarket springs - Tanabe, Corksport, H&R, etc - be sufficient for that?

I'm thinking I'd want to lower it about a 1/2" more than typical, to compensate for the smaller tire diameter.

Last edited by jim94610; 09-04-2018 at 04:17 PM. Reason: minor corrections, Corksport typo
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 01:48 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Bilstein B6 for the front axle and B4 for the rear. Lower it on Tanabe springs. Don't forget the sway bars front/rear.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 03:08 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 760 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Thanked 4,008 Times in 2,815 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your purchase.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post
Bilstein B6 for the front axle and B4 for the rear. Lower it on Tanabe springs. Don't forget the sway bars front/rear.
Thanks for these suggestions.

I am looking at the sway bars.

Just to control costs, I was hoping I might avoid having to do struts and springs, though. It looks like some users have added Tanabe springs, without replacing the struts. (Eg iDrive's Mazda 6.)

I can't tell whether I'd need/want to do the struts also.

But if I do need both struts and springs- for similar expense, I could put in coilovers instead. Then I'd be able to fine tune the suspension and the lowering ... and, lower a little further than the Tanabe springs. Finally, I think coilovers would allow me to adjust the camber, if necessary (instead of a separate camber kit). Is all this right?

As you can probably tell from my questions, I'm not very familiar with these components - so please excuse me if my questions are ignorant. (I added some suspension upgrades to an Audi, about 15 years ago - but that was all done by a local shop, and I just followed their advice. I was very happy with the result....)

Shops around the east bay aren't all that familiar with the 2018 Mazda 6, unfortunately, so it's not easy to get upgrade advice from the local Mazda performance experts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
PS. I asked Corksport why they don't list their springs for the 2018 model (2013-2017 only).

They said the 2018 model is heavier than previous years, and they have to get new springs tuned for that car/weight/etc.

(It seems this might apply to any spring that worked well in previous years - eg the Tanabe, etc ?)

They also said one of the owners just bought a 2018 Model 6 GT - they're using his car to try some good 2018 tuning enhancements.

They're expecting to have some more 2018 upgrades available, in a few months.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 09:04 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim94610 View Post
Thanks for these suggestions.

I am looking at the sway bars.

Just to control costs, I was hoping I might avoid having to do struts and springs, though. It looks like some users have added Tanabe springs, without replacing the struts. (Eg iDrive's Mazda 6.)

I can't tell whether I'd need/want to do the struts also.

But if I do need both struts and springs- for similar expense, I could put in coilovers instead. Then I'd be able to fine tune the suspension and the lowering ... and, lower a little further than the Tanabe springs. Finally, I think coilovers would allow me to adjust the camber, if necessary (instead of a separate camber kit). Is all this right?

As you can probably tell from my questions, I'm not very familiar with these components - so please excuse me if my questions are ignorant. (I added some suspension upgrades to an Audi, about 15 years ago - but that was all done by a local shop, and I just followed their advice. I was very happy with the result....)

Shops around the east bay aren't all that familiar with the 2018 Mazda 6, unfortunately, so it's not easy to get upgrade advice from the local Mazda performance experts.
You're not being ignorant. Tanabe springs don't offer a very aggressive drop (which is a good thing for performance and ride comfort reasons) Meaning they play nice with the dampening rates of your stock struts. If you want to save money you can certainly do that. Bilstein's with lowering springs cost about the same as a coilover set but honestly, I'd much rather go for the Bilstein's. They are a very durable and long lasting strut, plus they are well designed and would pair very well to Mazda's chassis dynamics as long as you don't get very stiff springs. They will be more comfortable and corner better than OEM. Nice firm but compliant ride - exactly what you are looking for. Coilovers are also a fine choice, but they are only a good option in the hands of a very good suspension tuner, as they need to be adjusted once you install them. And they will not last anywhere near as long. Bilstein's are a one setting type ordeal but will work perfectly for what you need as is.

If you just want to save your money, get lowering springs and sway bars. But I would suggest upgrading to Bilstein's while you have your suspension taken apart. As for the Camber, your best bet is to just get Corksport Camber Plates are they are not very expensive and offer more adjustability. They are not necessary unless you like to drive very spirited around corners though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page