Bringing an '04 back to life..... - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bringing an '04 back to life.....

Hi all. Bought my nieces old car for my daughter who won't have her license for another year. A 5 speed. I have insisted she learn to drive a clutch. But it's been sitting for a year and a half cuz niece said it lost power. Just like her father "Cousin Eddie", car breaks, so just park it wherever and buy another one. Car is my avatar pic. Has mechanical and cosmetic issues. All hopefully fixable.

It barely runs, but I limped it home and have a P0340 cmp code. And like everyone everywhere else I've researched this, put in a new cam sensor, and no change . Idles very smooth and quiet, steady 18 inches vacuum, but bucks and spits when I touch the throttle. TCS lights flash and tach goes crazy. I checked the grounds and all is good there, but I took them apart and scuffed them up anyway.

I have read that this could be a false code and really should be looking at the crank sensor instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthesnow View Post
Hi all. Bought my nieces old car for my daughter who won't have her license for another year. A 5 speed. I have insisted she learn to drive a clutch. But it's been sitting for a year and a half cuz niece said it lost power. Just like her father "Cousin Eddie", car breaks, so just park it wherever and buy another one. Car is my avatar pic. Has mechanical and cosmetic issues. All hopefully fixable.

It barely runs, but I limped it home and have a P0340 cmp code. And like everyone everywhere else I've researched this, put in a new cam sensor, and no change . Idles very smooth and quiet, steady 18 inches vacuum, but bucks and spits when I touch the throttle. TCS lights flash and tach goes crazy. I checked the grounds and all is good there, but I took them apart and scuffed them up anyway.

I have read that this could be a false code and really should be looking at the crank sensor instead?
I'd suggest going through this link quickly, you may find it very helpful. Sounds like crank sensor to me.

https://autoservicecosts.com/obd2-codes/p0340/

2015 Mazda 6 GS-L Touring - Liquid Silver Metallic - Auto
The Following User Says Thank You to Get Inline For This Useful Post:
luvthesnow (08-20-2018)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thanks for the reply. I have yet to check the sensor wiring to the pcm. Need to get some manuals to find the pin numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 11:02 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Welcome to the group.

I can't tell if you have a 4 or 6cyl but, there is a known issue with the throttle body causing erratic code presentation and poor running. I believe there is a TSB n this.

Here are some pages from the 2004 workshop manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P0340 AJ.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	223376   Click image for larger version

Name:	P0340 Mazda 6 4cyl (L3).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	223378  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
I'm with @DrFeelGood . Despite the strange connection, I would suspect the throttle body based on the failure pattern. If memory serves, it's the throttle position sensor within the throttle body. Unfortunately it's not a separately replaceable part.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Dont forget the nasty MAF hose issue too.

2006 6 Hatch Grand Touring 5spd Sunroof

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thanks guys. Wow, I don't know where to start now. I can get it to run above idle speed but here is the scenario. I hold throttle a bit above idle. It stumbles along and at some point cleans up and revs steady at say 2000rpm for maybe 2 seconds then cuts out like no ignition, tach and tcs lights go wild, almost comes to a stop, and comes back to life again. If I hold the throttle steady it will continue this back and forth. Exhaust gets rotten egg stinky. If I let off throttle it will usually settle down to idle again.

Engine is the 2.3L

What's the MAF hose issue?

Last edited by luvthesnow; 08-21-2018 at 09:36 PM. Reason: added info
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 03:28 AM
Track Racer

Garage
Quote:
Thanks guys. Wow, I don't know where to start now. I can get it to run above idle speed but here is the scenario. I hold throttle a bit above idle. It stumbles along and at some point cleans up and revs steady at say 2000rpm for maybe 2 seconds then cuts out like no ignition, tach and tcs lights go wild, almost comes to a stop, and comes back to life again. If I hold the throttle steady it will continue this back and forth. Exhaust gets rotten egg stinky. If I let off throttle it will usually settle down to idle again.

Engine is the 2.3L

Take out (don't just unplug) the upstream O2 sensor and give it a short drive. Does it seem better?

Modifications:

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 09:02 PM
Track Racer

Garage
@luvthesnow, I don't know what keeps happening to your posts but I was thinking that maybe you catalyst was clogged and that was causing the performance issue. The lights and what may have been another problem.
You said in an earlier response, that is now gone, there was no change after removing the O2 sensor.

The weird bit is when you report that the car runs perfect when the air conditioner is turned on. This I cannot explain outside of an electrical issue that is obviously way above my pay grade.

Sorry.

Modifications:

The Following User Says Thank You to DrFeelGood For This Useful Post:
luvthesnow (08-26-2018)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 01:48 AM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Engine is the 2.3L

Not certain on this but the MAF hose issue might refer to the accordian hose between the air box and the throttle body developing a small crack and thus vacuum leak. If that hose has a leak, unfettered air enters the intake and can cause problems with fuel mixture etc that shows up as stumbling, idle problems surging etc. Taking the hose off and articulating it while VERY closely inspecting the valleys for cracks would be the way to sue that out.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page