High cost of maintenece/repair for Mazda 6? - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
High cost of maintenece/repair for Mazda 6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
nobody bothered to service them since it's not supposed to need service "for life."

This exactly, when I'm car shopping I don't know how many conversations go as follows

Person- "everything works great but reverse (or another gear) doesn't work"

Me- "when was the last time the transmission fluid was changed?"

Person- "Transmission fluid? I didn't think you had to change that."

Me- "How many miles did you say were on the car?"

Person- "170,000(or some other astronomical amount)"

Me- (usually in my own head, but it has actually come out before) " Do we see them problem here yet?!?"

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Still Want lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<- ->
<-

Last edited by bluedevil6; 01-08-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Did the 1st and 2nd Gen's claim to be "life time" tranny fluid as the Gen 3 does?

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 12:04 PM

Garage
High cost of maintenece/repair for Mazda 6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive View Post
Did the 1st and 2nd Gen's claim to be "life time" tranny fluid as the Gen 3 does?

I donít know about the 2nd gen but the 1st gen didnít necessarily say it was lifetime but the owners manual and even the fsm as far as I know donít have a listed service interval

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kalalicious likes this.

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-

Last edited by bluedevil6; 01-08-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
2015....with 96K.
I haven't even changed the plugs yet.
The Dunlops made it to 35K and the Continentals are still going strong.
I have had to replace the rotors and pads twice.
I wished Mazda had gone with at least a 2 piston caliper.
Other than that just gas and oil.

I have an inquire to Akebono to see if they have any multi piston calipers that will just bolt on.

Next car is probably going to be a CX-5. This is my 3rd Mazda....had a B2600 4x4 too.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:09 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil6 View Post
I donít know about the 2nd gen but the 1st gen didnít necessary say it was lifetime but the owners manual and even the fsm as far as I know donít have a listed service interval
Yeah, when I picked up my 2006 6s a few months ago I started planning all the maintenance that should be done at around the 100k mark (it only had 107k ), and found the same lack of information on the ATX fluid in the user manual and the shop manual.

I figured that was crazy and looked around on here and found most everyone recommended changing it, or at least starting the process of dumping and adding, if not earlier, then at least at 100k. So I picked up some appropriate ATX fluid and plan on doing that as soon as I get around to making my car ramps. I'll also be adding a tranny cooler and inline filter at the same time.

Tungsten Gray 2006 Mazda 6s Grand Touring - Finally another 1st Gen 6 to play with! New-to-me Oct 2018 with 107K miles!

Performance White 2003 6i Sport - dead, after 240K miles
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalalicious View Post
Yeah, when I picked up my 2006 6s a few months ago I started planning all the maintenance that should be done at around the 100k mark (it only had 107k ), and found the same lack of information on the ATX fluid in the user manual and the shop manual.

I figured that was crazy and looked around on here and found most everyone recommended changing it, or at least starting the process of dumping and adding, if not earlier, then at least at 100k. So I picked up some appropriate ATX fluid and plan on doing that as soon as I get around to making my car ramps. I'll also be adding a tranny cooler and inline filter at the same time.

I would caution you against the in-line filter, I used a Magnifine one and found that it significantly restricted the fluid flow. Iím jealous of your mileage lol Iím at 161,650 but still no major mechanical issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-
The Following User Says Thank You to bluedevil6 For This Useful Post:
Kalalicious (01-09-2019)
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
I don't think they ever think about life past 100k miles, which is right around the point you should change the transmission fluid. When I was shopping for cheap early 2000's cars last year it was really common for otherwise reliable cars to have automatic transmission issues. Honda, Mazda, didn't matter. I wonder if it's because the transmissions themselves are bad it if nobody bothered to service them since it's not supposed to need service "for life."
ALL ATXes are intentionally designed in a fashion that encourages and eventually will lead to failures.

All.

Specifically the wetted area of the transmission contains friction materials (in the clutches) that inherently shed into the fluid. This is like putting brake dust in your motor oil and over time has the same sort of result.

In addition the filter is a joke compared with even full-flow (say much less bypass design) motor oil filters and is intentionally inside the case, making easy changes impossible. Would you tolerate having to drop the oil pan to change the engine oil filter? Well?

Third, they're designed (on purpose) so that draining (and thus changing) the entire fluid load is nearly impossible. Specifically, the torque converter is designed in such a fashion that it cannot be drained nor does it drain back automatically when the car is shut down and it holds a LOT of fluid. Would you tolerate an engine design that only allowed you to change 1/2 or so of the engine oil, forcing you to leave the other half of the dirty oil in the engine? Well?

And you wonder why they fail? They're designed to fail once you get into the six-digit mileage category, and avoiding those failures is difficult at best.

It's much like passenger diesel DPFs which are (1) non-separable from the cat so you can't remove and clean them -- heavy truck units, on the other hand, are SEPARATE (for this exactly reason) and (2) three to five times as expensive as they should be due to integration with the cat, which does NOT typically wear out yet MUST be replaced when the DPF wears out. That too is an intentional design decision which is why I will never own a modern-emissions diesel passenger vehicle.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:15 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil6 View Post
I would caution you against the in-line filter, I used a Magnifine one and found that it significantly restricted the fluid flow. Iím jealous of your mileage lol Iím at 161,650 but still no major mechanical issues
I know, the mileage is quite nice! Perfect time for catching a bunch of maintenance items before they become/cause bigger issues!

Thanks for the warning on the in-line filter. That does sound like something to be aware of. I'll be sure to do more research on that particular topic to see if there's something that will work or if it's simply best to avoid. Thanks!

Tungsten Gray 2006 Mazda 6s Grand Touring - Finally another 1st Gen 6 to play with! New-to-me Oct 2018 with 107K miles!

Performance White 2003 6i Sport - dead, after 240K miles
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
If you're going to do an external filter for the transmission make it a bypass filter -- this way you do not restrict flow AND you get superior (depth-based) filtration at the same time.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 03:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
If you're going to do an external filter for the transmission make it a bypass filter -- this way you do not restrict flow AND you get superior (depth-based) filtration at the same time.
See this discussion, post 7: https://forum.mazda6club.com/3rd-gen...e-service.html

And see this one, post 11: 100k mile service? https://forum.mazda6club.com/3rd-gen/434266-100k-mile-service.html

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada

Last edited by Cdn17Sport6MT; 01-10-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page