Newbie 2018 Mazda GTR owner - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie 2018 Mazda GTR owner

Been reading postings on this forum for unfiltered customer feedback on the new 6T (thank you all!) for the last few months and thought I’d provide some additional feedback to any pontential buyers out there. I cross-shopped the 6 against the new 2.0T Accord EX-L and Civic EX-L and decided on the 6. The new Accord is a beautiful and pretty fast car but just didn’to seem as sporty as the 6. It felt like a big wide car around me and I didn’t care for the high beltline. The Civic was excellent in all aspects except the CVT - I like the feel of distinct gears (coming from a 2011 Mustang GT manual) but, at 65, have decided to retire from the clutch pedal. The CVT just felt spongy and artificial to me despite the fact that it’s probably comparable to the Mazda 6 for acceleration.

I picked up my Soul Red 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Reserve yesterday and have put around 60 miles on it. A wonderful car so far. Solid, quiet, torquey, super comfortable. I smell the shipping coating (cosmolene?) when I first start it up but it dissipates quickly once I start driving. Only bug so far is the LCD screen failed to go on on one start while I was out running errands but it returned after a restart. The drivers seat wasn’t love at first sit for me but after s few adjustments and done time behind the wheel, it feels great. Love the seat cooling! The LCD interface/ consol dial is fine/ user friendly. Software seems pretty simple/ intuitive. Bose found is so-so using FM and Satelite radio, USB a little better.
Handling is fantastic! I’m going to hold off on critiquing the engine until I’ve exceeded +600 miles and a tank or two of 91 octane (no 93 in CA) but so far it seems plenty powerful for passing, hills, potential teenage launches.

So far I absolutely love this car. Luxurious, handles like a dream, good road feel but comfortable. Techy but user friendly. The soul red color is a weird choice for me to be driving. I’ve always driven invisible colors (silver, white, charcoal grey metallic) and my new candy apple red ride has all the visual subtlety of Big John Masmanian’s ‘41 Willys drag gasser circa 1964 Lion’s Drag Strip (I was there...). The black interior is a really nice combo with this red. On the other hand, it’s really easy now to find my car in the big parking lot at Target! I’ll try to post a few pics if I can figure out how to do it. I welcome any questions or comments. Thanks for reading,
Cheers, John
Trippp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajohn View Post
Been reading postings on this forum for unfiltered customer feedback on the new 6T (thank you all!) for the last few months and thought I’d provide some additional feedback to any pontential buyers out there. I cross-shopped the 6 against the new 2.0T Accord EX-L and Civic EX-L and decided on the 6. The new Accord is a beautiful and pretty fast car but just didn’to seem as sporty as the 6. It felt like a big wide car around me and I didn’t care for the high beltline. The Civic was excellent in all aspects except the CVT - I like the feel of distinct gears (coming from a 2011 Mustang GT manual) but, at 65, have decided to retire from the clutch pedal. The CVT just felt spongy and artificial to me despite the fact that it’s probably comparable to the Mazda 6 for acceleration.

I picked up my Soul Red 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Reserve yesterday and have put around 60 miles on it. A wonderful car so far. Solid, quiet, torquey, super comfortable. I smell the shipping coating (cosmolene?) when I first start it up but it dissipates quickly once I start driving. Only bug so far is the LCD screen failed to go on on one start while I was out running errands but it returned after a restart. The drivers seat wasn’t love at first sit for me but after s few adjustments and done time behind the wheel, it feels great. Love the seat cooling! The LCD interface/ consol dial is fine/ user friendly. Software seems pretty simple/ intuitive. Bose found is so-so using FM and Satelite radio, USB a little better.
Handling is fantastic! I’m going to hold off on critiquing the engine until I’ve exceeded +600 miles and a tank or two of 91 octane (no 93 in CA) but so far it seems plenty powerful for passing, hills, potential teenage launches.

So far I absolutely love this car. Luxurious, handles like a dream, good road feel but comfortable. Techy but user friendly. The soul red color is a weird choice for me to be driving. I’ve always driven invisible colors (silver, white, charcoal grey metallic) and my new candy apple red ride has all the visual subtlety of Big John Masmanian’s ‘41 Willys drag gasser circa 1964 Lion’s Drag Strip (I was there...). The black interior is a really nice combo with this red. On the other hand, it’s really easy now to find my car in the big parking lot at Target! I’ll try to post a few pics if I can figure out how to do it. I welcome any questions or comments. Thanks for reading,
Cheers, John
Enjoy your new ride!
Have to agree with you about the CVT transmission. Have had many Nissans over the years, but got away from them when they went to the CVT.
The new Maxima is a loaded car with really nice interior, but that damn CVT and outdated front end.
New Mazda 6 has best looking front end over most any car, especially the butt ugly noses of the Camry, Accord and Maxima.
I thought the new Alpha front end looks good from photos, but saw one on road yesterday and not so much. I can always spot a handsome Mazda.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Congrats on your new ride, you've got great taste (I have the Soul Red Crystal with Deep Chestnut Nappa leather interior in the Signature trim!) The smell will dissipate with some additional mileage, and I agree with your other comments about the excellence of the new 6 over the competition. I've also had the LCD screen fail to come up a couple of times and similarly a restart resolved the issue. One time I thought it wasn't on but noticed that it actually was just very dimly. I suspect it's a software issue that only occasionally fails in its boot process. Compared to some of the software problems I've read about in the new Accords and Camrys which shuts down the engine or transmission this glitch seems relatively minor! That's really the only issue I've had with mine coming up on 1000 miles. The new Mazda6 is a very refined vehicle and competitive with many significantly more expensive models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 08:03 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Thanked 1,114 Times in 815 Posts
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Finally, another GTR owner!

Welcome to the 6Club!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome aboard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post
Finally, another GTR owner!

Welcome to the 6Club!
Hey hey, I've been on here with the GT Reserve as well!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 08:38 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Thanked 1,114 Times in 815 Posts
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougspeed View Post
Hey hey, I've been on here with the GT Reserve as well!
I didn't forget you... lol

It just seems there's a lot more Sigs lately.

Well, now there's at least 3 GTR's.
Dougspeed likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Haha, I did notice that. Mazda's research was spot-on stating that the majority of their customers opt for the more fully loaded trims for their new car purchases.

Last edited by Dougspeed; 07-13-2018 at 09:43 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 01:22 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I wanted to buy the Reserve but it didn't have the 360 camera or the parking sensors. I would've rather given up the two-tone napa leather seats on my Sig any day had the Reserve included these two basic things.

2018 Mazda6 Signature
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post
Well, now there's at least 3 GTR's.
4!

'18 Machine Gray GT Reserve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page