Don't get the post limitation for noobies - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't get the post limitation for noobies

Hi all,
New to the forums. Just bought myself a 2018 Mazda 6 TR! Love the car so far.

My previous car was Mercedes W203. I was active on the forums in Mbworld.
I was excited to find a mazda 6 forum for enthusiasts, however I noticed activity to be a bit slower than other auto sites.

I tried to post in other threads, but rules dictate I must post in the newbie section first.

This seems a bit counter intuitive. Why restrict new folks from participating in other forums? A lot of folks won't realize they need to post in the newbie forum first. Isn't the idea to build up the community, not limit it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 02:11 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Groans: 3
I kinda understand why they have a forum where noobs have to post intially after having been active in several different automotive forums and having to deal with the exact same issues on every single one.

The issue being that newcomers tend to ask questions on relatively simple problems that they would likely be able to find the answers for had they spent some time searching or googling it. And this grates on many of the more seasoned and senior members.

I guess creating a separate forum where newbies can ask such basic questions with moderators who are willing to answer them without irritating the rest of the community helps keep the peace between everyone. At least that's why I think there's a probationary period that a new member can only post to the newbie forums.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesee1099 View Post
Hi all,

I was excited to find a mazda 6 forum for enthusiasts, however I noticed activity to be a bit slower than other auto sites.

I tried to post in other threads, but rules dictate I must post in the newbie section first.

This seems a bit counter intuitive. Why restrict new folks from participating in other forums? A lot of folks won't realize they need to post in the newbie forum first. Isn't the idea to build up the community, not limit it?
Have to agree with you there.
Seems counter productive for a site that has limited engagement. I joined here after being on another site for about 6 months, and find this site format to be lacking.
And being labeled “learners license” after over 50 post, is damaging to my fragile self image 😜.

Activity is minimal, if you check in every other day, you are caught up in 5 minutes.
With that said, I have found some helpful info in my regards to my purchase of the new 2018 Mazda6 Signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 08:56 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Thanked 1,139 Times in 829 Posts
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Garage
Quote:
The issues we'd had for years was that spammers would register then bombard the site with their spamming posts, sometimes posting dozens of useless posts that the members did NOT want to scroll through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridasignature View Post
And being labeled “learners license” after over 50 post, is damaging to my fragile self image 😜.
It says "Registered User" when I see it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 10:17 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 760 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Thanked 4,008 Times in 2,815 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Hi all,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridasignature View Post
Have to agree with you there.
Seems counter productive for a site that has limited engagement. I joined here after being on another site for about 6 months, and find this site format to be lacking.

Activity is minimal, if you check in every other day, you are caught up in 5 minutes.
With that said, I have found some helpful info in my regards to my purchase of the new 2018 Mazda6 Signature.
Like GreyGhost said, the decision to restrict new members to the newbie section only (but after a single post they're allowed anywhere except classifieds), was a result of almost a full year of being absolutely bombarded with spammers.

I would come in some days to 30+ threads created overnight with nothing but garbage links to infested websites. The threads wouldn't cease throughout the whole day, either. Perma-banning and IP blocking addresses can only do so much against a bot that has an infinite amount of accounts and IPs, so we buckled down hard in order to keep things to a minimum.

Things got better, but not enough. The owners of the forum decided to put the image and link posting restrictions in as well, and we've all but quelled the onslaught of spam (thankfully).

All that being said: this is a fairly small forum with a very specific targeted group of people; we're never going to be like large forums. In addition to that, I swear there's a new Mazda forum every year that people split off to. I mean, seriously, there's 3 separate forums dedicated to the Mazda 6.

Mazdas247 is quite busy since it encompasses all Mazdas, and they run a right ship over there as well.

/Gets off Soap Box

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Like GreyGhost said, the decision to restrict new members to the newbie section only (but after a single post they're allowed anywhere except classifieds), was a result of almost a full year of being absolutely bombarded with spammers.

I would come in some days to 30+ threads created overnight with nothing but garbage links to infested websites. The threads wouldn't cease throughout the whole day, either. Perma-banning and IP blocking addresses can only do so much against a bot that has an infinite amount of accounts and IPs, so we buckled down hard in order to keep things to a minimum.

Things got better, but not enough. The owners of the forum decided to put the image and link posting restrictions in as well, and we've all but quelled the onslaught of spam (thankfully).

All that being said: this is a fairly small forum with a very specific targeted group of people; we're never going to be like large forums. In addition to that, I swear there's a new Mazda forum every year that people split off to. I mean, seriously, there's 3 separate forums dedicated to the Mazda 6.

Mazdas247 is quite busy since it encompasses all Mazdas, and they run a right ship over there as well.

/Gets off Soap Box

Really appreciate the insight guys! I totally understand the disdain for spammers and get why there are post restrictions. Is it possible to put tighter protocol or checks in the account creation process?

captcha etc.?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 08:41 PM
Sponsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi all,

Yea it's a little annoying! Either way, welcome!

Email:

Phone: 309-966-2161

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 09:54 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I agree, it's annoying, but a more serious CAPTCHA would probably be more expensive to implement, so they probably figure it's not worth worrying about when they can just do this. That said, I do this it would probably deter possible new users from posting, and not really help them feel welcome.

Oh well, it is what it is!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
The problem with forum systems that all run on common code-bases is that they're quite-easy for the spoofers to write exploit/spam code for. The patterns they generate can be detected quite easily IF you do it, but none of those codebases do.

I run a forum with my own code (written in "C", not one of the hack deals on PHP or similar) and it has anti-spammer code that is nearly 100% effective, as it can detect the difference between a script submission and an actual browser. If it catches the kiddie running his spam game poof -- he gets instantly blackballed along with the source IP (which prevents him from trying to immediately register another account from the same machine.)

I've had this in place now for close to 10 years and it's been 100% effective at stopping it, albeit every now and then I have to tweak the code a bit as the spammers try new things. But all the common codebase forum stuff out there (e.g. vBulletin, etc) is subject to this because they do not do the interaction with the actual user agent on the potential spammer end themselves; they use the higher-level language library to do it, and thus it is a LOT harder for them to detect that they have a robot rather than a human (thus forcing them into "captcha" sort of solutions.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page