2008 Mazda6 Computer issues? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 Mazda6 Computer issues?

I have been having intermittent to frequent issues with my 2008 Mazda6 I 4 door.

About a year ago I hit a finch-sized bird going about 25 MPH. Either by fluke or design that small bird cost me $500 as it set off the airbag light, and when I took the car to the shop they had to reset the airbag light and replace the seatbelt pre-tensioner.

After that incident, I started to have on/off issues with the Check Engine light. Engine codes indicate "Intake manifold rudder stuck open." Initially, they thought there was an oil leak and they repaired that oil leak for another ~$500. The light keeps coming back though, and the next thing they are now saying is there is carbon buildup on the sensor and that the manifold needs to be replaced - a $1300 repair for a 2008 vehicle with 140k miles on it now. The car drives fine no issues with acceleration or anything.

20,000 miles later the engine light is on about 80% of the time when driving, and every time I have it checked it's the same Intake Manifold Stuck Open code.

Now, the Tire Protection system is having issues. Initially, when driving about 80 MPH I started having one or two times in a 3 month period where the TPMS sensor went off when the tires were all at 40 PSI. Over the past month now though the TPMS light has been coming on/off over the past few weeks more rapidly. On a 4 hour road trip a few weeks ago the TPMS light came on 5 times on the way, and then mysteriously the CEL & TPMS light just "fixed themselves" about 1/3rd of the way through the trip, and were fine the rest of the trip. Every time I checked the tires they are 38 to 42 PSI all uniform.

Yesterday evening this repeated it's self on a 20 mile excursion around town. TPMS lights went on, I checked the tires all 38-40 PSI, and then about 20 mins later the TPMS light went off (CEL remained on).

I am now concerned that not only may I have been misinformed about the $500 repair last year, but also the airbag sensor thing may have been something that triggered this all off.

If the repair for this condition is over $750, I am not sure it is worth it as the vehicle is only valued in "perfect" condition at $3250 with 141k miles on it. Is there any risk of leaving this condition present and could it turn into something that makes the vehicle undriveable, or is it just a annoying issue that can be ignored as long as it drives? I described this to the Mazda dealership that I take the car to, and they said that it could cause a short in the computer if I "ignore" the CEL. But I'm fearful I already have this short.

I was reading somewhere that on some vehicles there is a way to reset some sort of TPMS sensor thing, but when holding down the odometer button the only options I have are Trip A, Trip B to reset. The only other controls I have are for the radio/AC/etc. Is it possible they may have installed some sort of software update that thinks I have this button to reset the TPMS system ever X miles when I don't and maybe that's why I'm having this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 04:20 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hard to see how a small bird could do any damage to the manifold.
What's the code, P2004?
If so it's all based on how the PCM is reading the voltage readings from the rudder control solenoid and MAF/BARO (I think) sensors. Maybe disconnect batteries and refresh the computer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page