Mazda 6 Forums banner

Shift position indicator light issues

18K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  benhemp 
#1 ·
I have an 08 Mazda 6 i4 2.3L automatic. I'm getting blinking on and off from both the position indicator (P, D, R etc) and the gear indicator (1-5). However I'm not noticing any other issues at present. It started after my engine threw a code for the O2 sensor (bank one, sensor one). I replaced the sensor and cleared the check engine light, and I had hoped the random blinking would have stopped as well.

I was not so lucky. It's done it lately again, and I see no correlation to each instance. Once in park it was just blinking. Once going slow at low rpm in third gear. Once on the freeway in 5th. Once shifting from 4th to 5th in a neighborhood. There isn't a rough shift and I have no AT or engine lights on.

Is this the beginning of the end for my tranny, or just a bad wiring connection for the lights behind the dash? My Mazda dealer found nothing.

#2 ·
That sounds fairly annoying to have blinking lights on the dash. I can't think of why this would be happening other than the transmission rejecting a perceived input. For example if you tried to select 1st gear while on the freeway it would not allow entry and just blink to let you know its refusal. Perhaps there is an electrical connection fault that is making the transmission think you are falsely inputting a command it cannot carry out.Check you trans fluid to make sure it is at level, red in color and does not smell burnt. I replace and refill my fluid 3x every 60,000 mi. If it seems to run fine and everything else checks out then a few pieces of electrical take on the instrument display will "fix" the lights.

Aside from that, cruising in 5th gear in a neighborhood? :eek:

Anyhow, good luck and happy motoring.

#3 ·
I'm having the same issue. 2007 Mazda 6 139k miles. Sometimes I shift to drive and the "1" will dissappear and come back. When driving I could be in 5th hear in the highway and the 5 will dissappear and revs kick up and it kick back in gear in 4th sometimes 3rd gear.

Oddly enough,

When I slightly move the shifter up toward neutral it rengages. The slight push on the shifter either way seems to wake it back up. Then if I let the shifter naturally slide back into place further down in drive it goes away again.

Hoping someone can help before I decide to change breaks rotors and tires soon.

?

#7 ·
Hi everyone, first time Mazda owner here. I bought a used 2010 Mazda 6 and am curious about how to replace the bulb for the shift lever indicator, which is apparently burned out. I tried to look it up in You Tube but couldn't find it there, at least not my cars'. Anyone has any idea on how to do that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.