Ms6 / Speed6 Questions, Newbie - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Rekadae
Question Ms6 / Speed6 Questions, Newbie

Alright, so I want to start off by providing some background to better any judgement on advice given.

I'm 18, have around 4 weeks of HS left, I've currently got no vehicle but have been obsessing over cars for many years, and have finally came to the climax of affordable obsession, a 2006/2007 Ms6.

I've managed to find a few under 6k, with under 120k Miles, I've done a fair share of research on modding as that is my intention. From what I've gathered my initial mods should be as follows. They are ranked in priority from supporting(1) to beginning of enjoyment/power build(6).

Fuel Pump Upgrade 1.
Motor Mounts 2.
Cobb Accessport 3.
Turbo Inlet 4.
intake 5.
Exhaust 6.

With these being stated I'd like to get a fair opinion from those of you that are already experienced with modding this platform and what I should be expecting to spend to primarily and firstly, obtain a reliable Ms6, and second begin to build power up to around 300hp with supporting mods. I've got a rough idea of what I think may work but I'd like again to receive advice on what I've gathered.
Please provide me with better bang for your $ mods if I have missed the target on what I should be looking at.
Ranked in Priority
1. Autotech Hi-Volume Fuel Pump Upgrade Kit $350
2.JBR Trilogy Motor Mount Package 70A $440
3. Cobb Accessport V3 $650
4. Cobb Tuning Turbo Inlet Hose $180
5. Cobb Tuning Short Ram SF Intake $190
Total: $1,810 + 4-6k to Obtain MS6

So what I ask is for the review of my plans and to basically be told if my speculation is really short lived, or if I should go looking elsewhere. I really have a half chub for this build, no definitely a full chub, and this is only the beginning.

ISO MPS 6 / Mazdaspeed 6 Near Mi

Parting out 2004 Mazda6s Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:18 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 782 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2882 Post(s)
Thanked 4,059 Times in 2,851 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Welcome to the forum!

I won't sugarcoat it for you...

The MazdaSpeed6 is not a reliable car. I will take a quote from our resident Speed6 guru: "The Speed6 is like a really hot girl. She requires constant attention and maintenance, but is worth the ride."

@TiGraySpeed6 still roams around these parts, and is usually excellent about giving advice on this car. @2006_MS6 is also around and he's very knowledgable as well.

That being said - it sounds like you've done your homework and are off to a good start with this potential car. I don't know much about the speed6, but I know that your pump upgrade, mounts, and accessport are all great places to start.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Byakuya For This Useful Post:
2006_MS6 (04-24-2017), Rekadae (04-25-2017)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 09:05 AM
Lowspeed

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Thanked 3,289 Times in 2,156 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
How are you with doing your own maintenance? You'll want to include a fair bit of basic maint work with your purchase just to get it back to spec.

In that price range & mileage I'd encourage doing a compression test and look for results no more than 15% apart from highest to lowest reading, and an average as close to 180 as you can get on a warm engine.

If you don't have a strong base to work with you'll need to have an additional $3-5,000 for engine work.

Sold 7/2016- Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop, fully bolted & badass

1and1
135i - E82.N54 2009 BSM - MHD S1+ / xHP S3 / PR CP & IC / RB PCV / Borla
. . . . RSFI, Koni & Eibach, Dinan CP's & M3 CA's / EBC Red's & Firehawk 500's
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Groans: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiGraySpeed6 View Post
How are you with doing your own maintenance? You'll want to include a fair bit of basic maint work with your purchase just to get it back to spec.

In that price range & mileage I'd encourage doing a compression test and look for results no more than 15% apart from highest to lowest reading, and an average as close to 180 as you can get on a warm engine.

If you don't have a strong base to work with you'll need to have an additional $3-5,000 for engine work.
Speed Performance in NJ can build him a 500 WHP capable motor for about $5k.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekadae View Post
Alright, so I want to start off by providing some background to better any judgement on advice given.

I'm 18, have around 4 weeks of HS left, I've currently got no vehicle but have been obsessing over cars for many years, and have finally came to the climax of affordable obsession, a 2006/2007 Ms6.

I've managed to find a few under 6k, with under 120k Miles, I've done a fair share of research on modding as that is my intention. From what I've gathered my initial mods should be as follows. They are ranked in priority from supporting(1) to beginning of enjoyment/power build(6).

Fuel Pump Upgrade 1.
Motor Mounts 2.
Cobb Accessport 3.
Turbo Inlet 4.
intake 5.
Exhaust 6.

With these being stated I'd like to get a fair opinion from those of you that are already experienced with modding this platform and what I should be expecting to spend to primarily and firstly, obtain a reliable Ms6, and second begin to build power up to around 300hp with supporting mods. I've got a rough idea of what I think may work but I'd like again to receive advice on what I've gathered.
Please provide me with better bang for your $ mods if I have missed the target on what I should be looking at.
Ranked in Priority
1. Autotech Hi-Volume Fuel Pump Upgrade Kit $350
2.JBR Trilogy Motor Mount Package 70A $440
3. Cobb Accessport V3 $650
4. Cobb Tuning Turbo Inlet Hose $180
5. Cobb Tuning Short Ram SF Intake $190
Total: $1,810 + 4-6k to Obtain MS6

So what I ask is for the review of my plans and to basically be told if my speculation is really short lived, or if I should go looking elsewhere. I really have a half chub for this build, no definitely a full chub, and this is only the beginning.
You can save a lot of money by buying used parts.
I paid a whole $25 for my SU RMM & it's one of the best mods I did.
Your mod list is a good start. If you buy something with no maintenance records, then you'll want to start by changing all fluids, suspensions bushings & no fun stuff like that first with the mileage you're looking at. I would definitely add shocks to your mod list. I went with Bilsteins & also added Cork Sport springs.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2006_MS6 For This Useful Post:
Rekadae (04-25-2017)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post

The MazdaSpeed6 is not a reliable car. I will take a quote from our resident Speed6 guru: "The Speed6 is like a really hot girl. She requires constant attention and maintenance, but is worth the ride."
I have to disagree with this. Both of my MS6s have been nothing but reliable. Like any car, maintain it right & it will treat you right.

I'm the last guy that keeps cars that nickel & dime or require constant attention.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2006_MS6 For This Useful Post:
Rekadae (04-25-2017)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Thanked 1,215 Times in 860 Posts
Groans: 27
Groaned at 46 Times in 41 Posts
At that mileage you will want to check the timing chain tension and factor into your budget replacement of the chain and components.

2016 Mustang GT
1997 Jeep ZJ
SOLD:1996 Miata
SOLD: 1967 Chevy C10 Stepside
SOLD: 2006 BCM MS6 GT #00584
CP-E 3" Straight Pipe Exhaust. CP-E TMIC. HTP 3" TIP. Custom 3.5" MAF SRI. SU RMM. SU TP. Forge V1 BPV. Cobb AP. RichTuned. Denso ITV22. PTP HPFP Internals. STi S204 Lip. Megan Racing Springs. XXR 530 18x8.75 +33. VEI Boost Gauge with Block8head pod. Blox Shift Knob.

SOLD:

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:

Alright I'll for sure be looking into the compression and such if it's possible w/ the dealer. As for maintenance my friends and I have a decent set of tools and a detailing shop we all work at that we could get a fair amount of work done at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_MS6 View Post
I have to disagree with this. Both of my MS6s have been nothing but reliable. Like any car, maintain it right & it will treat you right.

I'm the last guy that keeps cars that nickel & dime or require constant attention.
This warms my heart, lmao. Also what do you suggest I look for when trying to find issues with the car, I'd rather not buy a shitty car and be stuck with it. I know of the timing belt, and for the turbo to be spooling, as well as the compression but are there any other large issues to look for that are common on these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Y MAZDA View Post
At that mileage you will want to check the timing chain tension and factor into your budget replacement of the chain and components.
Timing belts can run you about 1k-2k for replacement, correct? Dear god I hope the one on the car I'm checking out is good. I'm driving almost 400 miles to go look at the one I found, it's almost too good to be true price, $3900 for 119k miles, no body damage also stock, which hopefully in turn means it was babied a little more than a modded one would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Welcome to the forum!

@TiGraySpeed6 still roams around these parts, and is usually excellent about giving advice on this car. @2006_MS6 is also around and he's very knowledgable as well.

That being said - it sounds like you've done your homework and are off to a good start with this potential car. I don't know much about the speed6, but I know that your pump upgrade, mounts, and accessport are all great places to start.
Alright, well I know I like hot girls, and I know I like Mazda's so.. That being said I'm pretty knees deep in hopes on one of these cars as it's one of the few cars my parents seem to be okay with me getting that is sporty. I asked about Cobalt SS's, nope too sporty, Srt-4's, nope too sporty, Bmw 545, they told me I was dumb because a car needs turn signals, Audi A4's, too much money, + too sporty. Yet somehow I've managed to work my magic and convince them to believe a Speed6 is alright for me despite it being better in every aspect than these other vehicles. We've also got a 2004 Mazda 6s with a blown motor that my mother used to drive, so that could be contributing.

Also everyone, thank you for the warm welcome

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:

Alright I'll for sure be looking into the compression and such if it's possible w/ the dealer. As for maintenance my friends and I have a decent set of tools and a detailing shop we all work at that we could get a fair amount of work done at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_MS6 View Post

This warms my heart, lmao. Also what do you suggest I look for when trying to find issues with the car, I'd rather not buy a shitty car and be stuck with it. I know of the timing belt, and for the turbo to be spooling, as well as the compression but are there any other large issues to look for that are common on these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Y MAZDA View Post
Timing belts can run you about 1k-2k for replacement, correct? Dear god I hope the one on the car I'm checking out is good. I'm driving almost 400 miles to go look at the one I found, it's almost too good to be true price, $3900 for 119k miles, no body damage also stock, which hopefully in turn means it was babied a little more than a modded one would be.

Also another question for you guys, do I go with the listing at $3,900 or do I go with the $5500 talked down price of the other one with $2200 of mods and such done to it with only 110k? I'm at a crossroads because hell, the $3,900 might have still been ragged on and the $5500 babied, or even vice versa. Really really stuck on what to do here.
2006_MS6 likes this.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekadae View Post
do you suggest I look for when trying to find issues with the car, I'd rather not buy a shitty car and be stuck with it. I know of the timing belt, and for the turbo to be spooling, as well as the compression but are there any other large issues to look for that are common on these?
You can do the compression test on the dealer lot & checking the timing chain takes 2 seconds there as well. Other than that, let it idle for a few minutes. If you get a bunch of white smoke, turbo is going. Otherwise, just normal used car stuff.

Quote:
Shit, I need to find a good MS6 for $3k. That would be my new beater lol.

Quote:
Also another question for you guys, do I go with the listing at $3,900 or do I go with the $5500 talked down price of the other one with $2200 of mods and such done to it with only 110k? I'm at a crossroads because hell, the $3,900 might have still been ragged on and the $5500 babied, or even vice versa. Really really stuck on what to do here.
Buy the most/best car you can afford. If the $5500 car has been maintained right & has no issues, just buy it. Better than buying the $3900 then having to drop thousands into it right away. Are these both GT models? If one is GT & 1 Sport, that changes things. I would only buy a Sport if it were stupid cheap, but that's just me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page