2014 mazda 6 and shocks & struts - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Byakuya
  • 1 Post By hoorah

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile 2014 mazda 6 and shocks & struts

2014 Mazda 6 Sport
68K running strong

Hi everyone,

At 55k miles my original shocks and struts were worn completely so I bought KYB Excel-G Gas shocks and had my mechanic change them. However these shocks have been terrible the poor ride quality from them is worse than expected. I get noises over pot holes the springs feel like they have no bounce when going over speed bumps. I am thinking that new springs and bushings will do the trick? My friend is a mechanic and he recommends buying new ones since they did not do the job right and installing them with a mechanic. Which is the same thing I had to do to the brakes becasue brakes plus put the wrong brakes that squealed and put out brake dust like no tomorrow? Just wondering what kind of shocks and struts/ springs do u recommend for the Mazda 6 that will ride like the original or better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:09 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 779 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2882 Post(s)
Thanked 4,059 Times in 2,851 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your new setup.

No spring/strut combo will be more comfortable than OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). No spring/strut combo will perform better than Coil Overs.

But now you're talking either going back to OEM or spending thousands for good-quality coil overs.

A place in the middle where many of us have headed (I'm waiting for my OEM ones to die before going there) are with Koni Yellow struts and/or Corksport, Tien, or H&R springs.

Springs are fairly cheap ($100 - 400 for all 4 depending on where you get them and from whom), but the Konis will run you a little more (~$130 each brand new) - As far as I know, that's what most people here would certainly recommend.

Take a look into the threads in the 3rd Generation 1 Stop Shop (link in my sig) for more threads on this topic if you're interested.
txsv_2 likes this.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Groans: 2
I find it really, really hard to believe that at 55k miles your struts were completely worn out. I get that they might not have the same rebound as new, but completely worn out? That sounds exaggerated. Anyway, KYB Excel-G should be pretty similar to OEM damping if I remember correctly, and I wouldn't expect them to be noticeably stiffer than OEM even if they arent. You say you are getting clunks - are you use they used the correct part number?

You can change out the springs but its only going to make the car stiffer. Ideally springs and dampers should be matched, but I don't think thats the issue you have right now.

Who did the work?
txsv_2 likes this.

14 Mazda6 White Touring MTX
17 Dodge Durango
98 Ford Expedition
84 Porsche 944 Chumpcar Endurance Race Car

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I drive for uber an lyft full time until i find a better job. I notice the current setup is very bouncy in the the back where the struts are and it makes noises which i have a video sounds like bad mounts. Will the konis and h and r springs make it more firm
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I've had a good experience with Bilstein. Unfortunately, the previous owner of my '09 6s GT had KYB GR-2 (also known as thr Excel G line...they're exactly the same with different nomenclature) and I'm in the same boat as you. Going over speed bumps seems like my front end momentarily lifts off the ground to a stiff landing. This isn't my first experience with KYB. A few years ago I swapped out struts and shocks on my '02 Pathfinder 3.5 and I was unhappy with the choice then. On my '02 Tahoe, I've always stuck with OEM and I've never had a reason to complain. There is something to be said about keeping to OEM if you want to keep the same feel.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:53 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry to resurrect this thread. What lifespan has everyone been experiencing with their shocks/struts? I'm just north of 75K miles. The ride is noticeably getting worse. Over rough roads, I can feel the front tire(s) losing contact with the ground. I even feel the ABS kicking in under braking over rough patches. Going to do shocks/struts/tires in one go, but just wanted to know if my experience is the exception or the rule?

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." -- Hedley Lamarr
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
75k seems pretty short. I replaced mine at 129k, but honestly could have lasted longer. It was getting a bit softer in general, but not dangerous where the wheel was skipping off the ground - that sounds unusual without excessive miles.

Stay away from KYB GR-2s, they're entry-level priced for a reason and won't last long at all. I've got Koni Sports on mine at the moment and they work just fine, if maybe a bit overkill for my daily driving. I don't really need adjustable shocks, but it's what I could find.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
I would just do the tires 1st and see how the ride/performance is. If it's still is not satisfactory then do the rest.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page