Mazda 6 Forums banner

joined the Mazda6 club

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  atjurhs 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I joined the Mazda6 club yesterday. Got the Touring model, in Mazda Red, pretty! I've got a few questions...

It didn't come with seat warmers, is that right for a Touring? What should I expect that to cost to install?

It didn't come with the navigation chip. I have a Garmin, but it might be nice to use the built-in one. Is there someplace on the web where I can see screen shots so I know what it looks like before I buy?

Do you guys use the wheel "lock" lugs? are they a pain?

What kind of gas mileage should I expect? Do you run 87 octane?

I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way to Mazda6 bliss...

Todd

#2 ·
Hi guys,

I joined the Mazda6 club yesterday. Got the Touring model, in Mazda Red, pretty! I've got a few questions...
Welcome to the forum, Todd!

Congrats on your purchase, toss up some pics of the ride when you can.

It didn't come with seat warmers, is that right for a Touring? What should I expect that to cost to install?
Seat Warmers were part of the Tech Package as far as I know. I'm not sure if dealers would install it as a separate entity, but it can't hurt to ask. Probably a couple hundred $ to cover it if they will.

It didn't come with the navigation chip. I have a Garmin, but it might be nice to use the built-in one. Is there someplace on the web where I can see screen shots so I know what it looks like before I buy?
The navigation chip is simply an SD card - the exact same thing you'd use for your digital camera. All the info you need is here:
For all those who just bought a 2016 6 without Navi, our cars are pre-wired for Navigation. All of the hardware are installed on the car, literally the only thing you need is an SD card with maps Mazda Part# BHY1-79-EZXA - which is also the same for 2015 Mazda 3 and 2016 CX-5. Dealer wants $399 + $110 for one hour labor ( to put a f**n SD card into the SD slot in the armrest compartment) I don't think I have ever laughed so hard in my life at someone's face. They go for much cheaper online. Just thought I'd share with everyone. I just ordered mine.

P.S. be careful buying on ebay. The SD card locks on to the VIN after it has been installed and driven with for 62 miles. If you try to reinstall it in another Mazda it will give out an error message. So don't buy a used one.
Do you guys use the wheel "lock" lugs? are they a pain?
Some people use the wheel locks, and it's only a pain if you're swapping the wheels around often - even then, it's not that much more effort than standard lugs.

What kind of gas mileage should I expect? Do you run 87 octane?
Depends on how heavy your foot is. Some people on here say they're only getting 27 - 33mpgs. I have almost 70k miles on my car and I've been getting an average of 34 consistently even in heavy daily commuting traffic. There are a lot of members on both ends of the spectrum, but I'd say the average is about 33 combined, 38 highway.

I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way to Mazda6 bliss...
That's what we're here for :)

#3 ·
Looking for the correct SD Navigation chip, came across this...

"This [Mazda 2015-2016 Navigation SD Card 0000-8F-Z09A for Mazda 3 6 CX-3 CX-5] is for a Brand new, unopened Mazda Navigation SD Card for a 2015 Mazda 3, 2016 Mazda 6 and 2016 Mazda CX-5. It is part number 0000-8F-Z09A, it replaces part numbers, 0000-8F-Z09,BHY1-79-EZXA and BHY1-79-EZXB."

#5 ·
I have the older navigation, so beyond what you find online, I couldn't help with part numbers - sorry.

have others discussed the discomfort in their lower back (and what their solution was) with the very bottom-back of the seat, where I drew the red line. the picture shows the passenger side, but as you know it's the same on the driver's side, I just couldn't find a pic on google for the driver's side of a 2016

for me, that's top priority! as it hurts my back, otherwise I'm super happy with the car!

Todd
It's been discussed a few times - there's very little lower-back/lumbar support on these cars. Not sure why that's the case, but you're not the first person to express it. I haven't seen what people are doing to cope with it, other than finding themselves slouching more than usual while driving.

#4 · (Edited)
have others discussed the discomfort in their lower back (and what their solution was) with the very bottom-back of the seat, where I drew the red line. the picture shows the passenger side, but as you know it's the same on the driver's side, I just couldn't find a pic on google for the driver's side of a 2016

for me, that's top priority! as it hurts my back, otherwise I'm super happy with the car!

Todd

Attachments

#6 ·
Welcome to mazda6club! Byakuya pretty much summed everything up. I love this car but I agree with you and others, it kills my lower back. Haven't done anything for it but why not try putting some type of cushion over there.

As for gas mileage, I do 40% highway and 60% city driving and manage to get around 28-30 mpg and I have a LEAD FOOT. If Im really driving aggressively Ill get 26-28 but usually not less than that unless im driving in really bad traffic.

#8 ·
Donkey thanks! I didn't know about the lumbar lever, that did help some, but I'll still need to do something more...

Currently, after only 162miles, I'm getting 28.5. I would consider my driving style as "reasonably reserved until that idiot who drives 10mph slower than everyone else gets in front of me" then ZOOM ZOOM. My last car Subaru Outback (which I hated) only got 27.5mph so I'm not too dissapointed with the 28.5. I'm hoping that my MPG is related to "Winter Gas" and that once the oil refineries switch back over to "Summer" gas I'll get better MPG, that's what happened with my Outback.

More questions to follow I'm sure...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.