2016 Mazda6 Touring - Navigation - Live Traffic - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 11:29 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy Traffic Information and other Mazda problems

I had a 2013 Mazda 3 GT and the traffic feature worked well. Now I have the Mazda 3 Sport GT all the bells and whistles and no traffic feature. What is upsetting is not being told anything about it. I don't know how long I spent trying to figure this out. In fact the manuals tell you use your system to get traffic information and it is not available. Why does my $150 phone have a better Navigation app then the expensive one that comes with the car? The tech department confirmed no live traffic updating. On top of this I was having problems with getting text messages and Pandora. They said they were aware of the problem with text messages and are working with the problem and that Pandora had some other problems and that I should talk to Pandora to figure it out. My beef is that if Pandora is a feature with the Mazda's why aren't the tech people at Mazda talking to the tech people at Pandora. Why is this up to me to figure out. Mazda I am disappointed. This gives Mazda a black eye in my book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 07:51 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thumbs down Navigation- live traffic

Just purchased a 2016.5 CX5 Touring. I was pleased to see that the Nav system offered real time data. Just like on my Garmin. Was really disappointed to learn it is completely useless. My Garmin cost about 100 dollars with life time map updates. I also hate the fact that it is impossible to add a location while driving. So my wife who is in the passenger seat cant update locations. It can only be done by voice and you have to have a complete address. I may be doing it wrong but blocking all the input because the car is moving is ridiculous. I know it is probably a safety issue but really???
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 09:38 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sextonq58 View Post
Just purchased a 2016.5 CX5 Touring. I was pleased to see that the Nav system offered real time data. Just like on my Garmin. Was really disappointed to learn it is completely useless. My Garmin cost about 100 dollars with life time map updates.
I completely agree about the uselessness. What's even more frustrating is that the basic traffic (not Waze-style) information doesn't even require a data connection, it uses local FM broadcasts, so there's no excuse.

Quote:
I also hate the fact that it is impossible to add a location while driving. So my wife who is in the passenger seat cant update locations. It can only be done by voice and you have to have a complete address. I may be doing it wrong but blocking all the input because the car is moving is ridiculous. I know it is probably a safety issue but really???
I believe your infotainment system is the same as the M3/M6, which means you can turn off the speed restriction with a little bit of technical know-how.

Index for Infotainment Project - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums

Read over the details but specifically, look at this part:

"Tweaks Master Bundle (v55) (USB): This is a collection of several popular tweaks. This script will:
disable the speed restriction set on the touch screen (so a passenger can still use the screen while the car is in motion)"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 06:56 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is disappointing as well. I have a pretty long commute in a large geographic metro - I discovered this feature within my first week of ownership when I drove onto the entrance ramp to the freeway later at night, only to immediately stop when I got halfway on and around a little bend.

There was an accident and the freeway was shut down - all lanes merging off - took about an hour and 40 minutes to clear about a mile and a 1/4 of freeway.

The view of this incident on the HD Map was tiny - when I was parked in it the circle indicating my position covered the space.

I love how the navigation integrates into the heads up display, how it works with the stereo system, etc.

However, the lack of real time traffic feeds is a serious negative
cheesehead likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Saguaro6 For This Useful Post:
jayrod88 (06-18-2016)
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 02:54 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
The issue here is the lack of broadcasting of TMC information - and if available it's highly limited unless you have a subscription and even then you only get it really in Urban area.

It's not like in Europe where every freaking radio station is broadcasting detail TMC information.

BMW for example feed their data directly from XM radio.

Now most high end premium cars are actually getting their info through built-in 3G/4G radios .. and in the next couple years we will see more affordable versions as IoT devices are getting cheaper & cheaper and plans getting affordable.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Just traded my 2014 GT for a 2016 GT. I was hoping the navi was better, though my immediate thoughts are that I wish I had the 2014 navi. In reading the prior posts, not having the traffic feature that will be missed greatly since traffic in Baton Rouge is AWFUL. So far (again only one day), I love the new car and feel it is way better than the 2014. The new navi looks boring and haven't found where you can change colors, voices, etc. I am missing something? Still learning the features of the car. Any thoughts are appreciated. Is there somewhere that I can download some changes?
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 07:56 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I also picked up a 2016 and I am not very happy with the Navi. In SoCal having traffic as part of the route is very important. Not sure why Mazda can't get this fixed. This thread is over a year old!
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I'm outside of Philadelphia. I count on KYW news traffic on the 2's. Sounds like a commercial but until Mazda coughs up the money NavTeq wants to add to this system, we'll just have to do it the old fashioned way.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
It has nothing to do with Navteq or other "map" makers.

It's a license issue with the TMC providers.

I think Mazda made a conscious decision here - shell out a shitload of money for the TMC provider which provide barely coverage throughout the US - or save that money and pass the savings to the consumers...
The Following User Says NO Thank You to flyandi For This Un-useful Post:
cheesehead (04-28-2019)
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
The petition is currently at 147.... I don't think there's gonna be any action taken by Mazda for this...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page