Ask A Diesel Owner :-) 2014 Mazda6 Skyactiv-Diesel - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ask A Diesel Owner :-) 2014 Mazda6 Skyactiv-Diesel

Been meaning to post something on here for a while, but I've just never really had the time to do it.

I was tossing up between the new Mazda3 or the Mazda6 sedans, but in the end I couldn't wait for the 3 to come out (I purchased the day before XMAS 2013) so i went with the 6 in diesel instead. I'm so glad i made that purchase, because IMO the 6 is the better car.

Im averaging just over 36MPG in mainly low speed city driving. The best i've gotten is 42.6MPG.

After driving my diesel 6 for half a year, I have to say, when i jump back into a petrol powered car (even V6's), they all feel very underpowered. The diesel has power at any speed in any gear and never feels laboured. I drove a V6 Camry back to back with my 6 and just from the seat-of-the-pants feel, the 6 had more shove and more urgency. The V6 in the camry felt very torqueless under 4k RPM. I know overall, the V6 is ultimately faster than the diesel, but in everyday driving, i think i actually prefer the massive torque of the diesel.

Anyway if anyone has any questions regarding the Skyactiv-Diesel, feel free to leave a comment.

Oh and here are some pics:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blinK_me192 For This Useful Post:
dechaoz05 (06-24-2014), Javis (06-24-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 10:04 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 767 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2781 Post(s)
Thanked 4,018 Times in 2,823 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
So jealous of the diesel. That torque you get from the diesel must be so nice, I can imagine the car never feels labored.

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your purchase.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

The diesel engine is really nice, and never feels laboured. It's power delivery is also a lot more linear than most other diesels as well.

Nice 6 btw ;-) Im surprised yours doesn't have the cherry accent dash strip in the interior!

I drove a new Mazda3 with the 2.5L engine, and if thats anything to go by, the Diesel is heaps better in terms of drivability. The 2.5L petrol engine has to drop down a few gears, where the diesel just gets up and goes no matter what gear its in.

I definitely think mazda has made a good choice to invest in a diesel engine instead of a V6, and I think people will be very surprised when it comes out in North America.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 10:34 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 767 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2781 Post(s)
Thanked 4,018 Times in 2,823 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinK_me192 View Post
The diesel engine is really nice, and never feels laboured. It's power delivery is also a lot more linear than most other diesels as well.
Yeah from what I've been reading/heard, the diesel is really pretty magnificent in the world of engines.

Quote:
Nice 6 btw ;-) Im surprised yours doesn't have the cherry accent dash strip in the interior!
Haha thanks, mine was one of the first ones off the boat I actually prefer this trim because matching the white exterior would be very difficult. I'm thinking of doing some of the glossy black area with the same type of finish.

Quote:
I drove a new Mazda3 with the 2.5L engine, and if thats anything to go by, the Diesel is heaps better in terms of drivability. The 2.5L petrol engine has to drop down a few gears, where the diesel just gets up and goes no matter what gear its in.

I definitely think mazda has made a good choice to invest in a diesel engine instead of a V6, and I think people will be very surprised when it comes out in North America.
Yes absolutely. The power band for the 2.5L is pretty high into the RPMs, so it tends to struggle a bit in higher gears if you're putting it under load.

No complaints here though, I'm averaging 35.5mpgs with 90% city driving

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Does it use DEF? I'm not sure if that's a US only regulation.

Is the diesel a standalone option? Or only on higher trims like the touring and GT.

Great photos I've never succeeded in capturing good interior shots like yours. I also don't recall whether my car has the red stitching on the armrests.

2014 Mazda6. Touring. Soul Red / Sand interior. Long term updates
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Can't wait to try the diesel when it comes stateside, although I wouldn't be surprised if Mazda decided not to put a stick in it.

What country do you live in?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyjerry View Post
Does it use DEF? I'm not sure if that's a US only regulation.

Is the diesel a standalone option? Or only on higher trims like the touring and GT.

Great photos I've never succeeded in capturing good interior shots like yours. I also don't recall whether my car has the red stitching on the armrests.
Sorry for the late reply, have been a bit busy.

If by DEF you mean diesel emissions fluid, as in AdBlue(Urea), then no, the skyactiv diesel requires no NOx aftertreatment. The only mazda diesel to have used AdBlue was the 2.2L MZR-CD CX-7.

If you meant DPF (diesel particulate filter) then yes, the Skyactive Diesel does have a DPF, in which it runs the regen cycle to burn off the soot at least once every tank (around every 700-800km) depending on driving conditions, and takes about 15-20 mins.
The Following User Says Thank You to blinK_me192 For This Useful Post:
jollyjerry (07-10-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page