post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
2003 Mazda 6 2.3l

Hey guys! First off, thanks for having this forum! great information! Now before i posted this first thread, i searched and searched and was not able to find what i was looking for, the reason being probably because im a noob and cant search correctly. Looking for water pump trouble shoot and assembly.

Anyways, I have a 2003 Mazda 6 2.3L pretty girl with the sport package. Its in perfect cosmetic condition, leather seats n all! and heated seats ;]

About 2 days ago i was driving home on the High way and my Temp. Gauge started rising, I took the next exit which had a gas led me to a gas station. I let the car cool down a little and decided pour in some water in the meantime to just get home, which was less than 10 mins away, it seemed to be completely empty since i pour down a lot of water into the radiator.

No overheating, got home in ten mins.

The next morning i turn my car on to warm her up so I can get to work. I opened the hood to just take a look and there was water/coolant all around the left side of the engine, all over the belts. As if it where spraying out being carried by belt, i also looked on the ground and there was liquid there as well. Decided to not drive the car. Topped it off with coolant and let her sit over night.

Now, this morning i went out to check on the car, First off..no puddle of liquid underneath, weird. I turned the car on and completely warmed it up, opened the hood expecting coolant spray everywhere and wet belts.
NOTHING! checked the ground once more after warming her up....NOTHING! Checked the radiator fluid levels, still where i saw them last.

thought this was odd since only a few days ago all its guts and blood were spilling out and overheating and now nothing, so i took her for a 20 min run, came back opened the hood. Still dry and nothing on the ground.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I would also notice this coolant leak once in a great while right where the water pump sits, but then it will go away, this time it was a lot so i was really concerned.

Anyone? Help? suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thread too long?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know how to help you out with this but I will say that this place just kind of dies on the weekends. Give it until Tuesday(taking Memorial Day into account) until most people will be active on here. I'm sure someone will be able to help you troubleshoot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Groans: 22
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
hmm that is odd. I wonder if someone did the patch stuff and drained it and never refilled it. Next time try to get some pictures of the fluid and where its all messed up. I have a 2.3 and my car has never done that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I'd rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built if for me. Your car is your story so don't let someone else write the book." Moog from Mighty Car MOD
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedMainah View Post
hmm that is odd. I wonder if someone did the patch stuff and drained it and never refilled it. Next time try to get some pictures of the fluid and where its all messed up. I have a 2.3 and my car has never done that.
Thanks for the reply Displaced. its been about 3 days and still no leak, i even got a pressure tester and PSI was stable. Next time it leaks i will get pictures, it also seems that its been happening for a while, there seems to be corrosion build up on the lower auto tensioner.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Groans: 22
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
ill tap in my local mazda expert to see if this is seen often @ dealerships. @SonicNutrition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I'd rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built if for me. Your car is your story so don't let someone else write the book." Moog from Mighty Car MOD
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 08:36 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Groans: 172
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedMainah View Post
ill tap in my local mazda expert to see if this is seen often @ dealerships. @SonicNutrition
Well its very common that the Water pumps fail and the thermostats stick and need replacing on the 2.3L. @2 Bacons how is the coolant level now? Its possible that the leak started because of a cooler temp and when the engine or ambient temp raised the leak sealed. I had a similar issue with my 91 F-250 but was during near freezing temps.

|
|
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicNutrition View Post
Well its very common that the Water pumps fail and the thermostats stick and need replacing on the 2.3L. @2 Bacons how is the coolant level now? Its possible that the leak started because of a cooler temp and when the engine or ambient temp raised the leak sealed. I had a similar issue with my 91 F-250 but was during near freezing temps.
Thanks for the reply sonic. No leakage yet, everything looks fine i just came back in from checking under the hood and it looks pretty dry in the bay and underneath on the ground. This leaking / sealing itself has happened twice now. in the past 5 months.

Now that you mention the thermostat, i believe mine is stuck open as well, you think that has anything to do with the leak?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 09:01 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Groans: 172
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Bacons View Post
Thanks for the reply sonic. No leakage yet, everything looks fine i just came back in from checking under the hood and it looks pretty dry in the bay and underneath on the ground. This leaking / sealing itself has happened twice now. in the past 5 months.

Now that you mention the thermostat, i believe mine is stuck open as well, you think that has anything to do with the leak?
No I don't believe that would cause an issue at all other then a low heater core temp. Getting stuck close is obviously a big issue. I would consider replacing the pump and t-stat soon.

|
|
The Following User Says Thank You to SonicNutrition For This Useful Post:
2 Bacons (06-11-2014)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

@SonicNutrition still no sign of any leaks! just did my oild changes last night @ 132600 Miles. i will continue to keep an eye on it and post on here as soon as i see a leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page