User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool. I get mine on Tuesday. Can't wait. I almost busted my open last week when the door fell on me! I'm still on the factory lifts after 6 1/2 years. I guess that's a decent life span for them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I sold her for a 2013 Dodge Challenger. I'll be back if a MazdaSpeed6 version comes back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah mine still worked until it got cold or until there was a little snow adding weight. It is one of those things that you put off for years then when you finally replace them it's like "I wish I would have done this a long time ago".

'10 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring 61K Black
'05 Mazda 6 iSport 206K Charcoal (sold)
'06 Mazda 5 69K Blue (sold)
'92 Subaru SVX Lsi 162K Liquid Silver
'07 Honda Odyssey EXL 66K
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 AM
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 361 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,205 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Hatch lift cyls

Mine are going to get replaced before next winter for sure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
---
---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I finally got around to installing the Monroe lift cylinders and, after making a 2 minute job into a 15 minute job, here is what I learned. After supporting the deck with a pole, I removed both old cylinders. It is not necessary to remove the clips. Simply place a small screwdriver under them and elevate them slightly, and the old cylinder will come off. Remove both cylinders before attempting to install the new ones because the Monroes are slightly longer than the factory parts and the deck must be further elevated for them to fit. Not a bad idea to have a second person to make sure the deck doesn't fall on you. One end of the cylinder is a screw for alignment of the end with the ball. Screw it all the way in so it does not disengage later on. Clean the old grease off of the balls. The Monroe cylinder sockets are pre lubricated. DO NOT remove the clips on the new cylinders, they snap over the balls on the car with a slight tap.

The new cylinders are certainly better than the old ones but only time will tell for sure. The increased length does not appear to be a problem after installation. Good Luck!

Incidentally, my g/f's 2010 Prius has Stabilus cylinders which are still fine. Wonder if the problem is the weight of our spoilers.

dbikedoc

Last edited by dbikedoc; 02-24-2013 at 03:18 PM.
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Hatch lift cyls

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbikedoc View Post
I finally got around to installing the Monroe lift cylinders and, after making a 2 minute job into a 15 minute job, here is what I learned. After supporting the deck with a pole, I removed both old cylinders. It is not necessary to remove the clips. Simply place a small screwdriver under them and elevate them slightly, and the old cylinder will come off. Remove both cylinders before attempting to install the new ones because the Monroes are slightly longer than the factory parts and the deck must be further elevated for them to fit. Not a bad idea to have a second person to make sure the deck doesn't fall on you. One end of the cylinder is a screw for alignment of the end with the ball. Screw it all the way in so it does not disengage later on. Clean the old grease off of the balls. The Monroe cylinder sockets are pre lubricated. DO NOT remove the clips on the new cylinders, they snap over the balls on the car with a slight tap.

The new cylinders are certainly better than the old ones but only time will tell for sure. The increased length does not appear to be a problem after installation. Good Luck!

Incidentally, my g/f's 2010 Prius has Stabilus cylinders which are still fine. Wonder if the problem is the weight of our spoilers.
How much were these again? I'm tired of holding my hatch truck open with my head lol

post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj_Blaire View Post
How much were these again? I'm tired of holding my hatch truck open with my head lol

CarParts.com. $16.90 each, with shipping, handling and tax it came to $45.01

'10 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring 61K Black
'05 Mazda 6 iSport 206K Charcoal (sold)
'06 Mazda 5 69K Blue (sold)
'92 Subaru SVX Lsi 162K Liquid Silver
'07 Honda Odyssey EXL 66K
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 11:04 AM

I replaced mine this weekend with the Monroe lifts and it hold my hatch up one bit. To be honest, when I changed them in my dad's heated garage (about 50 degrees+) the lifts worked somewhat after I pushed the hood up and held it for a few seconds. However, as soon as I went grocery shopping and came back to the car in 32 degree weather then opened up the hatch it just kept falling as usual.

Maybe mine were defective. I ordered them from Amazon. I'll try them out for a few more days, but I'm sending them back if they don't start working. I'm not please with this products at all

I sold her for a 2013 Dodge Challenger. I'll be back if a MazdaSpeed6 version comes back!
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.cheez View Post
I replaced mine this weekend with the Monroe lifts and it hold my hatch up one bit. To be honest, when I changed them in my dad's heated garage (about 50 degrees+) the lifts worked somewhat after I pushed the hood up and held it for a few seconds. However, as soon as I went grocery shopping and came back to the car in 32 degree weather then opened up the hatch it just kept falling as usual.

Maybe mine were defective. I ordered them from Amazon. I'll try them out for a few more days, but I'm sending them back if they don't start working. I'm not please with this products at all
That sucks - the Monroes I ordered from Amazon work great (even below freezing.) I even had to put a padding strip on my garage door because the spoiler now hits the (open) garage door. They must have had a bad batch or something.

'08 Tungsten Grey 6i Hatchback
'06 Tungsten Grey 6i Sedan
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 11:17 AM

Yeah, I'm really disappointed right now. They barely worked in 50 degrees.

post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 11:20 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.cheez View Post
Yeah, I'm really disappointed right now. They barely worked in 50 degrees.
One more thought - you might want to try lubricating your hatch hinges with some spray lithium grease. See if that helps any.

'08 Tungsten Grey 6i Hatchback
'06 Tungsten Grey 6i Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page