Does a Modification Void My Warranty? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Does a Modification Void My Warranty?

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of this law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle makers brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name....” (15 U.S.C. 2302©).

http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=22238&crit...iteria=warranty

Whats this mean? The use of an aftermarket part will not void your warranty. The only time your warranty will be voided is if

1) The manufacturer is providing a replacement part free of cost.
2) The manufacturer or dealer can prove that the aftermarket part or mod caused the failure or damage.

So what happens if you do an airbox mod and your dealer says your voided the warranty?

http://www.sema.org/content/?id=8124

Visit the above link for more information.

There are laws in the world to protect the consumer. Its always a good idea to know and understand them. Always fully read both your warranty manual, and your owners manual of your vehicle.

Otherwise you could be screwed over by your dealer, warranty or not.

For example: Did you know Mazda requires all dealers provide either a rental or loaner car if your vehicle is in for service? Its not a dealer "bonus," its a manufacturer requirement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 01:41 AM
M6s

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Does a Modification Void My Warranty?'

:sarc So, does Grounding Mod void the warranty??
post #3 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to DraGkuLa
Reading Topic: Does a Modification Void My Warranty?

i guess the juice and turbo are out of the question!
MAZDA^6ggs likes this.

On a Scale 1 to 5, My cars a 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 11:45 AM
Learners License

DO NOT THINK THAT THIS INFORMATION WILL KEEP A DEALER FROM DENYING A WARRANTY CLAIM!

I have a long story, but it's very relevant to this matter. I own a 2003 MSP Protege with 3200 miles on it. I removed the stock air box and attached a plain paper cone filter to the MAF meter and removed the silencer (resonator) from the exhaust. Neither modification affected performance or ECU function. The resonator in the exhaust sits behind both cats and both O2 sensors. With 3200 miles on it, my headgasket blows filling the motor with coolant and ultimatly causing 2 rods to be slung from the block. After the vehicle was towed to my closest dealer they immediatly denied ANY kind of warranty repair due to the exhaust modification. I explained to them all of the info that SEMA provided about aftermarket parts and responsibility. They informed me that MNOA would have to send someone down to look at the car. Two weeks later a regional rep came down, spent (in the service managers own words) less than 5 minutes looking at the car, and then denied my claim. I waited for another 2-3 weeks for him to return my calls when I did get a response back it was to tell me that his job isn't to talk to customers, only the service manager. I called Mazda customer service and they informed me that it is in fact his job to talk to me. I again waited for him to call me back after several messages so I could set up a meeting to discuss the situation. He told me that "he knew what I did to that car and I knew what I did to it." I asked him to tell me what he thinks was done and his exact words," I don't have to tell you a damn thing." I told him that I was not some punk kid without a clue in the world and I knew my rights as a consumer, I had spoken with an attorney who verfied all of the information I got from SEMA. He told me that if I wanted to talk to him again I should get a lawyer. I did. A friend of the family offered to work for free writting letters, looking up past cases etc . However, due to the binding arbitration agreement I would have to go to arbitration first. The consumer always loses in arbitration. I would then be required to pay fees ($3500) PLUS any fees that the company would have. My lawyer informed me that at this point while I did have a case that would be cut and dry in court it wouldn't be financialy efficient to pursue it any further. I would be able to repair my vehicle for less than the cost of fees that would be associated continuing the case.
The point of this story is this: Even though the law says one thing doesn't mean that you'll be able to afford to see that it gets enforced. I've spoken with no less than 5 attorneys and every one of them wants me to pursue this further based on the amount of the intended settlement. The big compnaies (MNOA) know however, that they can tie it up in courts forever, bleed me dry, make it unlogical for me to pursue them. That's what they've done. I'm stuck in a car worth $7500 and owe double that.

DO NOT THINK THAT JUST BECAUSE THE LAW IS ON YOUR SIDE THAT YOU CAN MODIFY YOUR VEHICLE. The little guy always takes it in the ass in these situations. I've taken it so hard I can barely sit down anymore.

sorry THIS had to be my first post.
Wahoofrank and jkane like this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turbo Matty P For This Useful Post:
hotred49 (11-06-2016), Simply Steve (08-08-2017), Syanosis (10-22-2011)
post #5 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Sorry you got hosed turbo...

I should add this to this thread.

If you don't know what a mod is...

If you don't understand what the mod does...

If your the least bit worried about how a mod will effect your car...

DO NOT DO THE MOD.

Thats some pretty major bs though...a blown head gasket cause you changed the exhaust...thats the biggest load of shit I've ever heard.

Would you mind posting the name of the dealership?

MAZDA^6ggs likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to crossbow For This Useful Post:
hotred49 (11-06-2016)
post #6 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 01:42 PM
Learners License

I won't name the dealership for denying warranty work. It was Mazda North american Operations that denied my warranty.
I will however name the dealership that gave me such a hard time, ignored my requests for a conference, never returned a phone call, is currently trying to rake me over the coals on a new car purchase....Trussville Mazda in B'ham, AL. The same dealership everyone uses to order their parts and accessories from. I know for a fact that the new 6i's are selling for right around invoice, then carry a rebate. The general manager of the dealership offered me a program 6i without the options I wanted and 4500miles (!!!) for $127 OVER invoice. I almost threw up. I could get a brand new car with 0 miles and every option I wanted for $1100 less than what he offered me. I love Mazda cars, just wish I could buy them from the Ford dealer!
post #7 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 01:47 PM
Learners License

As you can see, I'm on this board because I'm looking to purchase a new 6i. However it appears that mazda won't offer any discounts on the package I preffer (1se). That puts it just out of reasonable price range.
post #8 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 02:47 PM

Replying to Topic 'Does a Modification Void My Warranty?'

Turbo Matty.
I have a golden rule for Modifications.

Always revert back to original equipment when taking it for a warranty claim.
MAZDA^6ggs and jkane like this.
post #9 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 03:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gruss Send a message via Yahoo to Gruss

I really dont want to ruin a perfectly good sticky, so I'll try to hold back on the legality and morality of what you suggest chikoo, but you do realize that makes it harder to diagnose a problem...and beause of that, and also because some people do stupid things and put it back to stock after they know what they did caused the problem, automakers are cracking down on all modifications. Turbo matty didnt do anything I would think is a warranty breaker, but it sounds like they are making an example of him. He should have got his car fixed, but has all the truly dihonest ppl to thank for his misfortune.

'03 Mazda6 S
'03 Explorer
'97 VFR
post #10 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 04:01 PM

sorry. I did not realize it was a sticky.

that said, why should turbomatty pay for other peoples stupidity. He should play safe to protect HIS investment.
MAZDA^6ggs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page