Does a Modification Void My Warranty? - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading Topic: Does a Modification Void My Warranty?

TurboMatty - what you can do is start a campaign to seriously hurt the business of the dealer that gave you a hard time with the warranty repair. (ads, word of mouth, etc) Hell, start a website against them and list it on yahoo, google, lycos...

Gruss - I understand your concerns with legality and morality, but in TurboMatty's case, it would have done him good to remove the cone filter and replace the resonator as it is obvious these mods would NOT blow an engine. Instead, it cost him thousands in repair while Mazda gets away with what might have been a lemon....and all because he was honest. There are such things as "gray" areas in morality (and legality!). This would be a classic example of one of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 10:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gruss Send a message via Yahoo to Gruss

I'm not saying its right that they screwed him, if those were the only mods on the car, it should still be under warranty...I'm just pointing out the cause and effect of the situation. Where is the line drawn? Look through any car forum for "put back to stock" and see what some people do to milk dealers/automakers and its no mystery why they start denying warranty work.
Did TurboMatty get boned, yes, and if there was something I could do to help I would. This may have been avoided if he put it back together, but he didn't, and my point is he really shouldnt have to. I dont have anything against modifying your car, but there is always a risk...and that risk is becoming greater, because of all the ppl "putting it back to stock", to save themselves a few bucks at the expense of other consumers, like TurboMatty. Think about it from the other side, here's a mechanic that gets paid for 20 minutes to diagnose a problem, in his search he can tell the car has been modified, but maybe can't prove it. it takes him an hour to find the problem but doesnt get paid for it. this keeps happening guess who gets bitter and starts giving MazdaCorp a call? You IT guys should know the feeling, I'm sure you have a problem employee "that never does anything on the computer that would break it" but yet its always locked up, and there is streaming video, stupid screensavers, etc on the machine. You spend half your day fixing that, other stuff falls behind and you get to work late, while he/she bitches that its your fault.
My Point: Take responsibility for your own actions, so the rest of us dont have to pay for it!

'03 Mazda6 S
'03 Explorer
'97 VFR
post #13 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 10:40 AM

Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

The idiots are not going to stop doing what they do.
Why should the honest guy pay thru his nose?

Gruss, you points are very true, but only theoretically. How do u ensure this?
Make a sealed engine?
engine with a hood lock that only the dealer has the key to?
Engine computer that keeps track of all changes made to the engine? i think this is the solution that auto companies will follow. And everytime my cylinder5 misfires, I will have to reboot my car :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 12:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gruss Send a message via Yahoo to Gruss

I didnt say I had the answers, but you hit the nail on the head...the idiots ruined it for the rest of us, and there are a lot of them out there. Its only going to get worse. so what can I do? Well I can be honest, if you want to "trick" your dealer go ahead, your throwing fuel on the fire...I'm not going to do that. I've had shops that tried to deny warranty work because of what "other" people have done, I refuse to be one of "those" ppl, and I dont go to those shops anymore.

'03 Mazda6 S
'03 Explorer
'97 VFR
post #15 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 04:58 AM
Learners License

Replying to Topic 'Does a Modification Void My Warranty?'

I asked my dealership if i the warranty would still apply if i wanted to add after-market accecories to my car (i.e. CAI, turbo, exhaust, etc.), and he said that as long as the mod was done at the dealership the warranty would still apply.Is he pulling my tail or has anyone else heard of that? By the way, any word yet on turbo, is there anyone out there with turbo yet? :D
post #16 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 05:13 AM
Learners License

you guys might wanna check with your dealer and ask them. The guy that sold me the car has a 6 too and got an injen cai a long time ago and done stuff to his car so hes into the same stuff as us. He probably told me about the dealer installed warranty out of experience. Im supprised nobody on the forum has brought that up. Maybe he was advised to keep it on the downlow or something. Anyways, if anyone finds anything out or knows anything about it p.m me or just reply.
post #17 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 06:35 AM
Learners License

Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Does a Modification Void My Warranty?'

im still a little iffy on what things could void my warranty and what doesn't. can sumone give me sum examples on what might void it? i'm about to get a CAI and custom exhaust system for my 6i but after reading this post im not so sure if i should ne more. i don't want to void my warranty... but i really wanna get the CAI and exhaust!!! is it safe to? i was going to get bolt on everything for the exhaust so i could change it back to stock if i wanted to...good idea?
post #18 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Does a Modification Void My Warranty?'

A CAI is reversible. It would take about 30 minutes to do...but its pretty reversible.

A catback or custom exhaust...your talking a few hours to reverse, and possibly double to triple that, if you don't have access to a lift.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gruss

* * * * * * I'm not saying its right that they screwed him, if those were the only mods on the car, it should still be under warranty...I'm just pointing out the cause and effect of the situation. *Where is the line drawn? *Look through any car forum for "put back to stock" and see what some people do to milk dealers/automakers and its no mystery why they start denying warranty work.
Did TurboMatty get boned, yes, and if there was something I could do to help I would. *This may have been avoided if he put it back together, but he didn't, and my point is he really shouldnt have to. *I dont have anything against modifying your car, but there is always a risk...and that risk is becoming greater, because of all the ppl "putting it back to stock", to save themselves a few bucks at the expense of other consumers, like TurboMatty. *Think about it from the other side, here's a mechanic that gets paid for 20 minutes to diagnose a problem, in his search he can tell the car has been modified, but maybe can't prove it. *it takes him an hour to find the problem but doesnt get paid for it. *this keeps happening guess who gets bitter and starts giving MazdaCorp a call? *You IT guys should know the feeling, I'm sure you have a problem employee "that never does anything on the computer that would break it" but yet its always locked up, and there is streaming video, stupid screensavers, etc on the machine. *You spend half your day fixing that, other stuff falls behind and you get to work late, while he/she bitches that its your fault. *
My Point: Take responsibility for your own actions, so the rest of us dont have to pay for it![/b]
Look at BMW. The new M3 had a problem with blown engines (there's a website out there somewhere tracking the whole situation). It took several months and alot of headaches before BMW would research the problem and find out that it was a manufacturing defect. Up to that point, BMW (corporate, not the dealers) accused the owners of over-revving the engines and causing them to blow (despite the built-in rev limiter, gimme a break!) and tried up-and-down to deny warranty work/replacement of the failed engines. These were not modded cars! It all comes down to the bottom line and not wanting to front money for warranty repairs. That's the motivating factor behind denial of warranty. I'm sure plenty of people have stiffed the dealers with reversals (and caused them alot of troubleshooting time) but I don't think it's the motivating factor from corporate like you say. I'm sure there's a push to minimize internal repair expenses, and seeing a mod on the car is a fast and convenient excuse to circumvent the whole process that should be protecting the consumer. There's no reason why a dealer can't properly diagnose the problem and say: a) the problem was not due to the mod and is covered, or B) the problem WAS due to the mod and will not be covered.
post #20 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 09:57 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to bigsky17

Car dealerships dening claims for major repairs is nothing new, and it has nothing to do with aftermarket mods.

Three examples 1. my sister had a blown engine on an Isuzu Rodeo. 2. my aunt had a blown engine on a VW Passat. 3. My room mate is a master service writer for a major dealer in the detroit area and denied a claim on an Audi A8.

All claims were within factory drivetrain warranty limits and all claims were denied flat out. Why you ask? Because no one could show proof of all sceduled maintainance (oil changes included) preformend by an authourized factory service tech.

Bottom line is that the dealers and the manufacturers are out to make money whenever they can, and replacing engines is not on the list.

My only advice is to make sure that you have all service done at the dealer (i know pain in the ass) at least untill you run over the warranty. I bought a lifetime oil change through my dealer for about $300. Also it is not a bad idea to make good friends with the service manager while you are there. These guys have serious pull and will be the only friend you have if something goes wrong.

2003 Steel Gray 6sMTX
No badges No Door Gaurds Black M-blems 20% Black Tint K&N Filter, MS Short Throw Shifter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigsky17 For This Useful Post:
antores (11-14-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page