shifting 1st to 2nd - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Garage
I noticed the 'lurch' as well when I first got mine. I've since retrained my heel-toe movements and rarely get that problem anymore. For the record, I usually shift at around 2500 - 3000RPM but I also throw the shifter down pretty quick so my revs don't fall as far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
No not you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Eckert View Post
So it's not just me.... I've been experiencing the grinding on my '14 with the 1-2 upshift as well. Not all the time, but certainly more often when I "get on it" a bit.
Its most likely the car, as I stated before. Now if only you can get Mazda to make it better. It maybe as simple as a programming change or there may be hardware differences. Just for your information , on the 2006-2007 Speed6's , the clutch take-up was very harsh--- like spring loaded. Mazda came out with a new release spring and adjustment , that made things much better---- Mazda is pretty good at that. So there is hope. Thanks Oldvet
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 05:14 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
I have a 2015 and find the clutching in this car very different from every other car I've owned. I also compensate with easing the clutch in between 1 and 2 and occasionally between 2 and 3 depending on the speed, but then mentally that just feels so wrong since your riding the clutch more. I haven't taken the time to really research other's experiences with the MT, but I feel like a lot of it is the car itself. Perfect example of the weirdness: when I'm in first in traffic on a road with no incline and apply no throttle, essentially just coasting at idle, she bunny hops on her own all the time. I'm constantly clutching to smooth her out and I feel like I'm getting judged as a new MT driver. Didn't have this problem with any other Mazda (I've had a few) or any other make for that matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 08:08 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mazdaspeed 3 in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvet View Post
Have you heard anything about the new Speed3 coming out yet---- if they dont make it ugly Ill buy one. Thanks Oldvet
They're saying 2017:
Three-peat: Mazda 3 Refresh, Mazdaspeed 3 Coming for 2017 ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 11:00 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Bunny Hop, Throttle, Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonklsn View Post
I have a 2015 and find the clutching in this car very different from every other car I've owned. I also compensate with easing the clutch in between 1 and 2 and occasionally between 2 and 3 depending on the speed, but then mentally that just feels so wrong since your riding the clutch more. I haven't taken the time to really research other's experiences with the MT, but I feel like a lot of it is the car itself. Perfect example of the weirdness: when I'm in first in traffic on a road with no incline and apply no throttle, essentially just coasting at idle, she bunny hops on her own all the time. I'm constantly clutching to smooth her out and I feel like I'm getting judged as a new MT driver. Didn't have this problem with any other Mazda (I've had a few) or any other make for that matter.
I totally understand the "bunny hop" thing. I think a lot of it has to do with the electronic throttle programming. I was in a parking lot, 1st gear, and gave the car a little gas to get moving. I then let off the pedal to see how quickly the throttle would respond. It was actually about 2-3 seconds before the throttle responded like an old cable/mechanical set-up. I wish there was a way to easily connect a computer to the car and tinker with the throttle programming, or better yet, a retro fit throttle body/cable/pedal kit (only in my dreams). Gone are the days when I could roll smoothly in slow and stop and go traffic in my '03. How easy is it for you guys to pull the shifter out of 3rd gear without depressing the clutch pedal? Mine slips out with very little effort below about 3000 RPM. I actually accidentally knocked it out of gear one time just resting my hand on the shifter.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
I can deal with the jerkiness but that effin' grinding from time to time on a 1st - 2nd power shift pisses me off every time it happens. What exactly can be done mechanically to correct this? I asked the dealership and their response was "just don't shift so fast." Really?
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliche View Post
I can deal with the jerkiness but that effin' grinding from time to time on a 1st - 2nd power shift pisses me off every time it happens. What exactly can be done mechanically to correct this? I asked the dealership and their response was "just don't shift so fast." Really?
Never shift out of 1st below 3750rpm and never let off the gas until you've depressed the clutch at least a third of the way (Your revs should slightly rise at the beginning of the shift). There is no other way around the issue. Do those two things and it will shift good from 1st to second CONSISTENTLY. It's all about keeping the synchros clean for the NEXT time you shift.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Flowmaster dBX Exhaust---Corksport SRI W/Cold Air Box---OrangeVirus Tuned ECU---90lb Weight Red.---Shifter Mods

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
The Following User Says Thank You to solar365 For This Useful Post:
Caliche (08-02-2015)
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solar365 View Post
Never shift out of 1st below 3750rpm and never let off the gas until you've depressed the clutch at least a third of the way (Your revs should slightly rise at the beginning of the shift). There is no other way around the issue. Do those two things and it will shift good from 1st to second CONSISTENTLY. It's all about keeping the synchros clean for the NEXT time you shift.
Thank you, Solar! I will try that to see how it goes.
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
The bucking near idle is due to the high compression ratio. Engines with high compression haaate being bogged. It's annoying how basic functions of driving a manual are changed on the 6.

I also noticed a new strategy if you will. letting the clutch out then pushing it back in a tiny bit before the "lurch" happens, then letting it all the way out basically eliminates the Buck since you let it slip. I only do it when I am driving other people around since it doesn't bother me personally.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Garage
The bunny hop thing is typically because the throttle is being touched ever so lightly. Initial throttle touch on this car is 4.8%, so when you jiggle between on and off with that much difference, it will make it buck. Also 1st is really short, you can't just expect it to wind down to idle and be happy rolling along after that. Also if you slightly ride the clutch in second with no throttle near idle it will make car buck really bad too.

Flowmaster dBX Exhaust---Corksport SRI W/Cold Air Box---OrangeVirus Tuned ECU---90lb Weight Red.---Shifter Mods

;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page