I Hate This Dual Mass Flywheel - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 10:47 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think my gripe is just with the clutch. Getting started smoothly in first gear is tricky--as others here are remarking--but it seems that even after the clutch is fully engaged, as the engine revs from about 1500-3500 rpm, there's an unevenness to the acceleration--a slight lurching, hesitation--that is annoying. 2nd gear is similar, but not as noticeable. 3rd through 6th are fine; very nice actually, every bit as good as the manual on this car is hyped to be. Does anybody else have the same experience?
mcbru likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 04:33 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The shifts are no problem when I take off at high speed. But in day-to-day driving, particularly in traffic, I also tend to face challenges. (Fluids and everything checked.) After 5K miles I think I am getting used to the shifting. For me, the smoothest way to go from 1-2 and avoid crunch is to shift slowly and hesitate slightly before the throw. Third, however, goes in more smoothly on a quick throw. Also, 4th goes in better at a higher RPM. Only 5th and 6th go in smoothly all of the time. So go figure. It's a fussy car.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd525 View Post
I don't think my gripe is just with the clutch. Getting started smoothly in first gear is tricky--as others here are remarking--but it seems that even after the clutch is fully engaged, as the engine revs from about 1500-3500 rpm, there's an unevenness to the acceleration--a slight lurching, hesitation--that is annoying. 2nd gear is similar, but not as noticeable. 3rd through 6th are fine; very nice actually, every bit as good as the manual on this car is hyped to be. Does anybody else have the same experience?

I notice the unevenness you mention occasionally, but it's fairly mild. Not a transmission issue so much as a fuel or programming one, it seems to me (or both since the drive by wire is all computer controlled).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speeder6 View Post
I notice the unevenness you mention occasionally, but it's fairly mild. Not a transmission issue so much as a fuel or programming one, it seems to me (or both since the drive by wire is all computer controlled).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yes, there is a setting in the ECU that retards spark a bit after the shift. 1st revs so quick the result is a hesitation after the shift followed by the spark timing coming back forward just as the car gets into the meat of the torque band.

The result can be synchronized headbanging for driver and passengers, whether you are listening to death metal or opera.

It also exacerbates the slowness of shifts of a MTX during routine driving vs all the cars around you with ATX.

OVT was able to turn that off with the tune thank goodness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Flowmaster dBX Exhaust---Corksport SRI W/Cold Air Box---OrangeVirus Tuned ECU---90lb Weight Red.---Shifter Mods

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

Last edited by solar365; 04-19-2015 at 10:42 PM.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 09:18 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
welp.. I might be one of the first to actually get eyes on the flywheel. My clutch is gone at 25k and the dealership says that I have to prove that its a Manufacturers error for them to fix it at no cost. otherwise it is going to cost me $1500+. I'm waiting till Monday to call Mazda North America, maybe they will hep me out.

If I end up doing this myself I would prefer to replace the flywheel with a single mass.

Anybody know if one is in the works?
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 06:54 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrocks View Post
For me, the smoothest way to go from 1-2 and avoid crunch is to shift slowly and hesitate slightly before the throw. Third, however, goes in more smoothly on a quick throw. Also, 4th goes in better at a higher RPM. Only 5th and 6th go in smoothly all of the time. So go figure. It's a fussy car.
I know this is an old thread but I am glad I read it as it explains that weird 'bang' I've gotten a few times when shifting at slow speeds. Driven sticks for decades and never had that happen any other car.

That said...I don't think anyone should be getting 'crunch' with this transmission. Maybe a little notichiness is normal but not crunching. I'd recommend changing the fluid on the tranny to Motul or Redline or similar full synthetic somewhere around 3-5k miles. I just came out of a Scion FRS which while a great MT owners were experieincing crunch, notichiness and hard shifting with the factory fluid. Many changed up to full synthetic after a reasonable break in period and got much better results. Also fwiw, that was an Aisin tranny and the OEM also spec'd the obsolete GL4 fluid...but the latest GL5 synthetics smoothed out shifts and no one has reported any issues. I had the dealer Ok the Motul GL5 and change it for me (just in case). I'm planning to do the same with the 6 once I hit 5K
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
I'm starting to think part of it is how we enthusiasts like to drive (spirited) and shift fast. So, my wife has not driven a stick shift since 2001. She was claiming she had 'forgotten' how to do it after so long, and she was afraid (huh? "You don't forget those things", I said, "is like riding a bike!"). Anyway, last Saturday we went out to brunch and I had one too many cocktails for so early in the day, so I told her "guess who's driving home?" Well, lo and behold, she did, and she drove like she had never stopped driving a manual tranny. Now, she drove at speed limits in suburban streets, not spirited at all, but the car never hesitated, hopped, nor crunched, grind, skip, nothing, zip, the whole way. I couldn't believe it. Her shifts were slow to normal throws, and she handled the clutch just fine. I was again like "huh? Wtf?"
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliche View Post
I'm starting to think part of it is how we enthusiasts like to drive (spirited) and shift fast. So, my wife has not driven a stick shift since 2001. She was claiming she had 'forgotten' how to do it after so long, and she was afraid (huh? "You don't forget those things", I said, "is like riding a bike!"). Anyway, last Saturday we went out to brunch and I had one too many cocktails for so early in the day, so I told her "guess who's driving home?" Well, lo and behold, she did, and she drove like she had never stopped driving a manual tranny. Now, she drove at speed limits in suburban streets, not spirited at all, but the car never hesitated, hopped, nor crunched, grind, skip, nothing, zip, the whole way. I couldn't believe it. Her shifts were slow to normal throws, and she handled the clutch just fine. I was again like "huh? Wtf?"

Its funny you say that cause I've had similar experiences. These cars are easy to learn stick/clutch on for some reason. But those of us who already have expectations for how a shifter and clutch should feel have problems with it.

Another example, I'm sure all you guys have driven cars with mechanical throttle cables, and at least occasionally done full throttle shifts. When accelerating hard in the 6 or any car with an electronic throttle, I always forget to lift the accel before going for the clutch, instead of doing them more at the same time. I end up making the engine over-rev when the throttle's input lag thinks i am still flat-footed. I've had this car for a year and a half now and I still havent gotten that motion subconscious, because im still used to how throttle cable cars drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar365 View Post
Yes, there is a setting in the ECU that retards spark a bit after the shift. 1st revs so quick the result is a hesitation after the shift followed by the spark timing coming back forward just as the car gets into the meat of the torque band.

The result can be synchronized headbanging for driver and passengers, whether you are listening to death metal or opera.

It also exacerbates the slowness of shifts of a MTX during routine driving vs all the cars around you with ATX.

OVT was able to turn that off with the tune thank goodness.
Is there a more specific name for this spark retarding you're talking about? I'd love to get OVT to turn it off but I wanna make sure I am asking for the right thing.

2014 Mazda6 Sport with 6-speed
- Koni Sport Dampers with H&R Springs
- Morimoto 4500k HIDs
2001 Miata Project (blown engine)

Last edited by mcbru; 10-03-2015 at 06:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mcbru For This Useful Post:
Caliche (10-03-2015)
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 05:47 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbru View Post
Its funny you say that cause I've had similar experiences. These cars are easy to learn stick/clutch on for some reason. But those of us who already have expectations for how a shifter and clutch should feel have problems with it.

Another example, I'm sure all you guys have driven cars with mechanical throttle cables, and at least occasionally done full throttle shifts. When accelerating hard in the 6 or any car with an electronic throttle, I always forget to lift the accel before going for the clutch, instead of doing them more at the same time. I end up making the engine over-rev when the throttle's input lag thinks i am still flat-footed. I've had this car for a year and a half now and I still havent gotten that motion subconscious, because im still used to how throttle cable cars drive.

Is there a more specific name for this spark retarding you're talking about? I'd love to get OVT to turn it off but I wanna make sure I am asking for the right thing.
I just bought my 2015 Mazda6 1 month ago and have been wondering if I just wasn't getting the hang of the clutch yet. Happy/not happy to see I'm not alone. Now that I think about it, I've already started to adjust my driving style to really non agressive until I am 100% sure I'm in gear fully. I'm enjoying the car a lot., but that Dual Mass Fly Wheel seems to really screw with my style of driving.

I'd also like to hear about more about this OVT ECU change. Can someone point me in the right direction?
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruelkix View Post
I just bought my 2015 Mazda6 1 month ago and have been wondering if I just wasn't getting the hang of the clutch yet. Happy/not happy to see I'm not alone. Now that I think about it, I've already started to adjust my driving style to really non agressive until I am 100% sure I'm in gear fully. I'm enjoying the car a lot., but that Dual Mass Fly Wheel seems to really screw with my style of driving.

I'd also like to hear about more about this OVT ECU change. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Clink the second link in my signature for the thread on it. Also google OrangeVirus Tuning to find their website.
Cruelkix likes this.

Flowmaster dBX Exhaust---Corksport SRI W/Cold Air Box---OrangeVirus Tuned ECU---90lb Weight Red.---Shifter Mods

;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page