"Crunchy" manual transmission - Page 6 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RookM6 View Post
Strange, I have had my car over 2 and a half years and have no such problems. I can't imagine I got lucky and got a good one. My luck doesn't usually go in that direction. If it's that noticeable it's hard to imagine Mazda wouldn't address it. I've had manual transmissions all my life, and mine is as good if not better then any car I've owned.
Me too, I agree, why it has not been addressed by Mazda. Ive driven a standard transmission sense Ive been 11 years old. If Car and Driver hadnt specifically mentioned this condition , I would say it was a quirk --- but the tester in this article is very good . Though I dont do it often, the true test is do a power shift just before the fuel cut off, if it does the 1-2nd shift easily and keeps pulling with no lag , you have no problem. Let me know--- you wont break anything. Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Thanked 1,241 Times in 780 Posts
Groans: 3
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofted42 View Post
Well, interesting thing. When I picked it up from the dealership I had them let me try a new mazda3 with a manual...and it was exactly the same, maybe even worse. I demonstrated to the guy riding with me, one of the salesmen, and he was appalled at how much grinding he was hearing when I'd shift to second and third. I've driven 4 other cars with manuals in the last week just to check, and had zero issue with all of them. Previous gen mazda3 and Miata seemed smooth as butter. It's not me, so my question is, what the hell was Mazda thinking when they built this transmission? Do they not believe in synchros? I guess I'll have to try and get used to it, but I'm supremely disappointed, I'd been looking forward to having a Mazda with a manual for many years.

Next step I guess is different gear oil, see if that helps.
My Speed 6 always suffered from a "crunchy" 1-2 shift, for the lifetime of the vehicle.
My 2015 MZ3 suffered this condition for the first 1000 miles, or so. Haven't experienced it in a 500 miles now.

Now, it really seems significantly improved. I did notice, however, in the 1500 miles it was noticeable, the shifter seems particularly punishing for imprecise driver shifting mechanic's. Will monitor, to see

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO, 402A, Perf Pkg, Livernois Tuned
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/ Tech
2002 Dodge Neon SXT
1972 Chevrolet C-10, 350/350
1967 Buick Skylark 2DR, 300/300
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 10:25 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Well, interesting thing. When I picked it up from the dealership I had them let me try a new mazda3 with a manual...and it was exactly the same, maybe even worse. I demonstrated to the guy riding with me, one of the salesmen, and he was appalled at how much grinding he was hearing when I'd shift to second and third. I've driven 4 other cars with manuals in the last week just to check, and had zero issue with all of them. Previous gen mazda3 and Miata seemed smooth as butter. It's not me, so my question is, what the hell was Mazda thinking when they built this transmission? Do they not believe in synchros? I guess I'll have to try and get used to it, but I'm supremely disappointed, I'd been looking forward to having a Mazda with a manual for many years.

Next step I guess is different gear oil, see if that helps.
I'm having a problem shifting my '14 Mazda6 into 1st gear when I'm waiting at a redlight and the light turns green. Neutral-to-1st is the main problem. Sometimes the other gears lock me out also, or are very notchy. There is no consistency in the feel or amount of pressure needed to shift into any of the gears. The exception is reverse; it's always smooth and consistent. I showed the dealer the issue and he was able to replicate the lock-out symptom of neutral-to-1st while sitting in the parking lot. Two visits later, he supposedly checked linkage under the shifter and now says there's nothing wrong with the car and he "doesn't recommend" dropping the transmission to have a look as he would charge me $700 to do so unless they find something wrong with it. Last night I finally found a TSB for 2014 Mazda3. My understanding is that the 2014 Mazda3 and 2014 Mazda6 both have the same transmission. Not sure why this TSB doesn't apply to the 2014 Mazda6, but since it's a problem with the trannys on the 3, it makes sense it could apply point to the same problem on the 6. I read this TSB and the symptoms it addresses are identical to the problems I'm having. TSB# 05-007/13. It's a problem with the shifter cable at the time of manufacture and a simple adjustment fixes it. Applies to cars manufactured before November 2013. I'm taking it back to Mazda this week and will see if they make the connection with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 07:47 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can you find the link or at least the edition of the Car and Driver edition? I'd like to read what they had to say about it... thanks
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPeluso View Post
I'm having a problem shifting my '14 Mazda6 into 1st gear when I'm waiting at a redlight and the light turns green. Neutral-to-1st is the main problem. Sometimes the other gears lock me out also, or are very notchy. There is no consistency in the feel or amount of pressure needed to shift into any of the gears. The exception is reverse; it's always smooth and consistent. I showed the dealer the issue and he was able to replicate the lock-out symptom of neutral-to-1st while sitting in the parking lot. Two visits later, he supposedly checked linkage under the shifter and now says there's nothing wrong with the car and he "doesn't recommend" dropping the transmission to have a look as he would charge me $700 to do so unless they find something wrong with it. Last night I finally found a TSB for 2014 Mazda3. My understanding is that the 2014 Mazda3 and 2014 Mazda6 both have the same transmission. Not sure why this TSB doesn't apply to the 2014 Mazda6, but since it's a problem with the trannys on the 3, it makes sense it could apply point to the same problem on the 6. I read this TSB and the symptoms it addresses are identical to the problems I'm having. TSB# 05-007/13. It's a problem with the shifter cable at the time of manufacture and a simple adjustment fixes it. Applies to cars manufactured before November 2013. I'm taking it back to Mazda this week and will see if they make the connection with this.
Go to your serviceman and tell him to fill the transmission until it starts to pour out of the fill hole. Plug it and go for a drive. That is absolutely the first thing I would do if I were anybody having crunchy shifting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Flowmaster dBX Exhaust---Corksport SRI W/Cold Air Box---OrangeVirus Tuned ECU---90lb Weight Red.---Shifter Mods

;
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I don't usually revive an old thread, especially one I started, but I made a breakthrough recently and felt I needed to respond. I was looking through this thread and noticed the TSB mentioned above by GreenPeluso

TSB# 05-007/13

Like he said, the 3 and 6 share the same transmission so I decided to give it a shot. If you read the bulletin you'll see it's to adjust the position of one of the linkages, sounds like some were out of adjustment from the factory. I checked mine and when I followed the procedure it moved about 1/4". Didn't seem like a lot, but figured what the heck. IT'S LIKE A NEW CAR! The binding/crunching is almost completely gone with almost every shift being extremely smooth. It's not perfect, especially when cold, but WORLDS better than it has been up until now. If you're having this problem, I highly encourage you to try this, even the shifter itself seems tighter, like most of the slack is gone. I used to really like this car, now I love it. Just irritates the hell out of me that mazda hasn't addressed this for 6 owners as well, not to mention the money I spent on fluids, shift knobs, etc. trying to fix it.

Good luck!
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:31 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
At 50K miles I just had the transmission fluid changed to Redline. I'm a believer now. Big improvement. Shifts much smoother although it hasn't completed eliminated the 'crunchiness'.
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Quote:
I don't usually revive an old thread, especially one I started, but I made a breakthrough recently and felt I needed to respond. I was looking through this thread and noticed the TSB mentioned above by GreenPeluso

TSB# 05-007/13

Like he said, the 3 and 6 share the same transmission so I decided to give it a shot. If you read the bulletin you'll see it's to adjust the position of one of the linkages, sounds like some were out of adjustment from the factory. I checked mine and when I followed the procedure it moved about 1/4". Didn't seem like a lot, but figured what the heck. IT'S LIKE A NEW CAR! The binding/crunching is almost completely gone with almost every shift being extremely smooth. It's not perfect, especially when cold, but WORLDS better than it has been up until now. If you're having this problem, I highly encourage you to try this, even the shifter itself seems tighter, like most of the slack is gone. I used to really like this car, now I love it. Just irritates the hell out of me that mazda hasn't addressed this for 6 owners as well, not to mention the money I spent on fluids, shift knobs, etc. trying to fix it.

Good luck!
Very useful and helpful guidance, here. I will be trying this adjustment on my Mazda6. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page