Master or Slave Clutch Cylinder? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to TapDatMac
I there a way to tell weather the Master Clutch Cylinder or the Slave Cylinder is going bad? Do I just need to Bleed the lines? How do I do that?

When I start out driving and the car is cold I have to pump the clutch pedal several times almost like I have to build up pressure or the car will not let me shift in to gear. ANY GEAR! It has gotten so bad that I have to pump the pedal twice when shifting between gears as well. Say from 2nd to 3rd and so on. I can't even get it in to reverse without pumping it a hundred times and even then it still resists me.

I have replaced my clutch and bearings with the clutchmasters stage2 and it is very strong. The shifting is so hard now that I have even broken the plastic around the bracket that holds the shift cable in place. That is a pricy little part as well.

There is no fluid leaking that I can detect but I have not looked in depth yet. It feels like that shift fork is not moving all the way in or ouy and I have even done a clutch adjustment. It worked for a few weeks and now it is worse.
If anyone has knowledge about Master and Slave Cylinders please enlighten me and help out. Please... THX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RalcoRZ Short Shift, Atenza Strut Bar, Injen Cold Air, Vision 539 18x8 Rims, BFG G-force KDWS, Eibach Pro-Kit, Red Calipers, Tint, BR Lip, Sport Lower Fog-Lights w/Apexcone 55w 8k HID, Defi Linkmeter BF Gauges, 8k 55w Hid low beams, Vis Invader Hood, R1 Rotors, EBC Redstuff, Racing Beat, Odyssey PC1200. Need that Tuner!!! I hate CELL's!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i had the same problem with my old talon. first things first make sure you do have fluid in your lines, second look to see if you have any leaks, look deep mine was so bad it was leaking into my car so i didnt really see any on the ground but i did find it in my car. and it really isnt that hard to change either one just messy
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 04:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to cbob
If it was my car, I would first try bleeding the clutch due to air getting into the system. This is also the cheapest/easiest thing to do and would rule out if it's air or you really need new parts.
Do you have a 4 cyl or 6? If it's a 4 I have a way to bleed the clutch without jacking up the car.

As for the fluid. How is the level and the color? I'm not that familiar with brake systems regarding the master/slave cylinders, but I believe if the seals are bad the fluid will turn dark really quick.

As with all fliuids, dispose of properly. (call county household hazardous waste)

Edit: The clutch bleeder on my car was the same as the brakes- 8mm.

03 6i MTX. 215/55-16 Kumho ASX, EBC green stuff, custom scored/fracturing rotors. Gutted airbox, crank mod, RPM short throw adapter, 2wheelin's fan mod. Sylfex aux-mod, concealed XM install, brake light mod, Redline 75w-90, Redline water wetter, and speed bleeders.
a half dozen UOAs. Currently on ~10k OCI.
suspect vacuum leak issue.
Note to self: no more adjustable wrenches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

It is a V6 and I can see all the lines. I even checked inside the car for leaks and I can see nor feel any. Wondering if I should just replace the whole dam system? I will be investigating it further today since I have the car in tip top shape to drive from Sac to Seattle at the end of next month.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RalcoRZ Short Shift, Atenza Strut Bar, Injen Cold Air, Vision 539 18x8 Rims, BFG G-force KDWS, Eibach Pro-Kit, Red Calipers, Tint, BR Lip, Sport Lower Fog-Lights w/Apexcone 55w 8k HID, Defi Linkmeter BF Gauges, 8k 55w Hid low beams, Vis Invader Hood, R1 Rotors, EBC Redstuff, Racing Beat, Odyssey PC1200. Need that Tuner!!! I hate CELL's!!!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 06:02 PM

so no air in the lines
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Need to bleed the lines this weekend. Had no time last weekend...

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Bled the slave today and nothing changed., Took the car to my mechanic uncle and he looked at it. then told me that the throw-out bearing needs to be replaced and thet will solve all my probs. Thanks anyways guys.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Changed the throwout bearing and nothing changed. Still have a very hard time shifting. I think it is either where is attaches to the engine or where thye clutch pedal is. Does anyone know what it is called where the pedal adjustment is?

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Learners License

Quote:
Bled the slave today and nothing changed., Took the car to my mechanic uncle and he looked at it. then told me that the throw-out bearing needs to be replaced and thet will solve all my probs. Thanks anyways guys.[/b]
That mechanic just wanted your money.

I've never touched a Mazda, but on my car, and most others i've seen, the master cyl push-rod comes through the firewall, and has a special nut on the end of the rod that connects to the pedal. If this is how your 6 is desined, you can twist the rod itself to move the nut further out, giving the pedal a 'deeper' push into the master cyl. There might also be adjustable bump stops where the pedal is mounted. They're most likely a push button switch, again with an adjustable nut that would allow the pedal a longer swing.

Hope this helps.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 05:44 PM
e4w

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to e4w
Bump for results or similar probs....i got a brand new bled slave cylinder, fluid, new shifter cable and i'm trying not to break it!

[B][SIZE=2]2004 6s MTX/sport clutch/air box mod/de badged/ TB Coolant by-pass /6000K HID/AWR 88D Rear mount/AWR 88D upper trans mount/exh mod

my 6

185.66hp/ 170tq 11/2011

213kmi (Sept 4, 2016) update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page