Mazda 6 Forums banner

So I want to buy a short shifter...

3K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  airpower220 
#1 ·
I want to buy a short shifter and I am interested in the Mazdaspeed one. I know this is the priciest of the three options, but I think I am willing to pay the differece. Where can I go to get a good deal on one? I did not see any for sale in the Buy / Sell forum and I can only find them online for about $150. Any ideas?

#4 ·
#7 ·
Originally posted by Afireinsideme@Aug 29 2005, 08:56 PM
I know, but im going for a subtle look.
[snapback]495298[/snapback]​
Form what I recall reading (although I can't find it at the moment), the Mazdaspeed "short shifter" sits just about the same height as the stock shifter, but it decreases the travel (i.e., makes the shifts shorter, not the shifter shorter.....wow, that's a tongue twister)

I would be inclined to buy the RPM short through shift kit for 40 bucks before spending 150 on this one, although it is probably a very nice piece of equipment as it would have OEM quality. At the same time, I really like where the stock shifter sits, as it is close to my hand when my elbow is resting on the center arm rest. Hmmm, choices...

-steve

#8 ·
Originally posted by sry110@Aug 29 2005, 05:00 PM
Form what I recall reading (although I can't find it at the moment), the Mazdaspeed "short shifter" sits just about the same height as the stock shifter, but it decreases the travel (i.e., makes the shifts shorter, not the shifter shorter.....wow, that's a tongue twister)

I would be inclined to buy the RPM short through shift kit for 40 bucks before spending 150 on this one, although it is probably a very nice piece of equipment as it would have OEM quality.  At the same time, I really like where the stock shifter sits, as it is close to my hand when my elbow is resting on the center arm rest.  Hmmm, choices...

-steve
[snapback]495301[/snapback]​
I know what you mean and Ive taken all that into account. I want to keep the psuedo-lux look inside as I have all black leater. I think a "Shorter" short shifter would detract from the look as well as get in the wat of my 64Oz big gulp. I do like the OEM quality of the Mazdaspeed version and I finally found it for $149.25 shipped. Not a bad price for a product with a 199.99 MSRP. :laugh:

#10 ·
Let me see if I can get you a better price with shipping from my dealer. I have the Mazdaspeed Sport Shifter, it is a really nice piece and the feel is great. I have added TWM's 44 Magnum shift knob, which is adjustable.

It is nearly impossible to miss a shift with this combination, along with the Redline MT-90 tranny fluid.

So give me 24 hours and I wll let you know the cost.

#11 ·
Originally posted by msumlin@Aug 29 2005, 05:26 PM
Let me see if I can get you a better price with shipping from my dealer. I have the Mazdaspeed Sport Shifter, it is a really nice piece and the feel is great. I have added TWM's 44 Magnum shift knob, which is adjustable.

It is nearly impossible to miss a shift with this combination, along with the Redline MT-90 tranny fluid.

So give me 24 hours and I wll let you know the cost.
[snapback]495443[/snapback]​
Yes, I highly recommend both (Mazdaspeed Sport Shifter & Redline MT-90). It makes the 6 much more enjoyable to drive.

#13 ·
Im sorry if this is a stupid question, but can the mazdaspeed short shifter come preinstalled on a loaded 6s? Just wondering because i remember my salesman talking about it durring the test drive but i dont remember it as an option. If theres anyway i can check easily that would help. Thanks

#14 ·
No. But many salesmen refer to the Mazda6s stock shifter as a "short-shifter" even though it's not. Compared to a semi-truck maybe. They're just making crap up to sell you the car.

You can get a dealer to install it for you before you drive it off the lot though. It doesn't take that long to install at all. Only a few minutes. I suppose they could install it beforehand on a demo model, but I can't imagine why they'd want to.

#17 ·
Originally posted by airpower220@Sep 9 2005, 01:00 PM
I got the Mazdaspeed sport shifter yesterday.  Does it really require a dremel cutting tool to instal?
[snapback]503773[/snapback]​

Cutting the pivot tab could be done with either a small saw or a Dremel, though a Dremel is probably easier. It will also be helpful to have someone hold the assembly while you cut or at least use a vise to hold it.

Removal of the old push nut does almost seem to require a Dremel. Otherwise you have to figure out something else, like prying it off with a small, sharp or pointy tool.

Be sure to note the assembled position of the spring on the shifter before removal just to ease re-assembly.

Allow yourself a good hour or so for installation just to be on the safe side.

Enjoy. As others have said, this is a nice upgrade for not a lot of money or effort.

#20 ·
would you say its worth having the dealer put this one in??? i mean i don't like the thought of taking a dremel to my car... even taking the interior apart... i hate rattles...??

#22 ·
No, do it yourself. THe instructions are REALLY good, and the part that you are dremmeling is a metal clip on the shifter itself. It is done after the shifter is removed from the car. There is no way that there can be rattles when installing this.

#25 ·
That's what I've set this weekend aside for. That and changing out the tranny fluid to Redline MT-90. I had found a great deal on ebay for about $6 a quart. (well plus shipping it was like $10 a quart)

#26 ·
Originally posted by airpower220@Sep 9 2005, 02:44 PM
That's what I've set this weekend aside for. That and changing out the tranny fluid to Redline MT-90.  I had found a great deal on ebay for about $6 a quart. (well plus shipping it was like $10 a quart)
[snapback]504210[/snapback]​
www.myoilshop.com

3 quarts for 26 bucks SHIPPED

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.