Adding rear spoiler to 2004 wagon... - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adding rear spoiler to 2004 wagon...

I recently purchased a really clean 2004 wagon and want to add a factory spoiler to the rear. I’ve read many of the posts here about the process and in my search for the actual spoiler locally (there’s one on its own and one that I’d need to pull from a wrecker - both of these would need to be painted to match my car), or I can spend a lot more and buy an entire liftgate from someone parting out their car (this one is conveniently already a color match).

My question for those who have done this is; my car without the spoiler has the body colored cap at the top of the liftgate. I’ve found a picture of a wagon with the spoiler removed that has a slightly different shaped cap (picture attached).

Is the notch circled in the cap necessary for the spoiler to fit properly? The cap on any wagons I’ve seen without the spoiler, including mine, are simply round corners.

If it’s not an issue, I’ll go the cheaper route and buy one of the spoilers on its own (and create a template from the liftgate once the spoiler is removed). If it is an issue I’ll just swap out the entire liftgate - the trade off being more money for less headache.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	067244C7-7B3E-4BFF-986F-984F88ADF084_1538887852966.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	224308  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

@blackerphotos on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Obviously it is "easier" to just swap the whole hatch.

It should be much cheaper to just add the spoiler, should be very simple as well.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Obviously it is "easier" to just swap the whole hatch.

It should be much cheaper to just add the spoiler, should be very simple as well.
No doubt, I’m wondering though if the different corners on the liftgate cap make any difference when installing a factory spoiler onto a non-spoiler car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
What I SHOULD have said was that it is the same hatch, just not setup for a spoiler. Taking a template off another hatch should work brilliant!

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Garage
I don't know if the sport spoilers require drilling or not. Mine came with it but our resident repository for wagon data is @DrFeelGood . I know he has considered adding the sport spoiler so he might have some details for you.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
I don't know if the sport spoilers require drilling or not. Mine came with it but our resident repository for wagon data is @DrFeelGood . I know he has considered adding the sport spoiler so he might have some details for you.
I’m about 97% sure it will require drilling - if you take a look at the picture I posted above of a spoiler car with the spoiler removed, there are mounting holes that don’t exist in the liftgate cap of non-spoiler cars like mine.

I’ll see if @DrFeelGood happens into this thread, otherwise I’ll send a message.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 02:58 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackerphotos View Post
I recently purchased a really clean 2004 wagon and want to add a factory spoiler to the rear. I’ve read many of the posts here about the process and in my search for the actual spoiler locally (there’s one on its own and one that I’d need to pull from a wrecker - both of these would need to be painted to match my car), or I can spend a lot more and buy an entire liftgate from someone parting out their car (this one is conveniently already a color match).

My question for those who have done this is; my car without the spoiler has the body colored cap at the top of the liftgate. I’ve found a picture of a wagon with the spoiler removed that has a slightly different shaped cap (picture attached).

Is the notch circled in the cap necessary for the spoiler to fit properly? The cap on any wagons I’ve seen without the spoiler, including mine, are simply round corners.

If it’s not an issue, I’ll go the cheaper route and buy one of the spoilers on its own
(and create a template from the liftgate once the spoiler is removed). If it is an issue I’ll just swap out the entire liftgate - the trade off being more money for less headache.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Hey there, adding a spoiler is a nice touch and its not that difficult.
There are six threaded attachment points that are under the stock sports spoiler for the wagons that see the u.s. domestic market. The spoiler you have in your picture looks different most notably because it does not appear to have an LED third brake light embedded within it.
The original spoiler uses 6 drill points that are through the hatch, 3M double sided tape, and six rubberized felt washers that sit between the spoiler and the hatch lid. Those rubberized washers also raise the spoiler level a tiny bit off of the hatch so that the rear window wiper does not contact the underside of the spoiler as it passes through its stroke arc. If you grab one from a wrecking yard be sure to grab the connector pigtail that allows you to move from the internal high mount stop lamp to the tail mounted LED.

My spoiler is attached with 3M tape and the two central studs and only 2 of the 4 bolts at the sides and it is quite solid. Having only the rape and central 2 studs would alliw it to vibrate over rough roads. The bolts are specalized with distinct shoulders but I would imagine tgats not as important as correct diameter, depth and thread pitch.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thanks @DrFeelGood. I can’t imagine it’ll be all that difficult - the single biggest point being ‘measure twice, drill once’!

The photo I attached I found online and it looks to me to be a car that had the larger spoiler removed as you can see there are not only holes in the cap but also clear dirt buildup where the spoiler had been.

My main question was whether the differently shaped corners on the cap made any difference when adding the larger spoiler as my car (and I imagine yours) has rounded corners without that circled notch.

I may have time to get to the wrecker next weekend to pull the spoiler they have and see how it sits.

I’ll keep the post...posted on what I find.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 04:45 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks @DrFeelGood. I can’t imagine it’ll be all that difficult - the single biggest point being ‘measure twice, drill once’!

The photo I attached I found online and it looks to me to be a car that had the larger spoiler removed as you can see there are not only holes in the cap but also clear dirt buildup where the spoiler had been.

My main question was whether the differently shaped corners on the cap made any difference when adding the larger spoiler as my car (and I imagine yours) has rounded corners without that circled notch.

I may have time to get to the wrecker next weekend to pull the spoiler they have and see how it sits.

Also keep in mind that if you goof it, the holes drilled into the hatch can be made oblong with a rotary tool and all of it will be hidden from view.
Another point of interest is if you want to change the car to appear factory original the interior trim pieces are different for cars that came with the spoiler originally (no interior third brake lamp). If the upper interior piece from your donor wagon in the salvage yard is the same color as yours, you could pull that piece to replace your inner third brake light. I just hid mine behind tint.

I have a few pics on an image server you can look through for examples if you like.

https://ibb.co/album/eCpOVa

Keep us updated.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

Last edited by DrFeelGood; 10-07-2018 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Updated album link
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Take lots of photos of your process. This is likely something that many wagon folks would be interested in. I know I certainly would if mine didn't already have one. You may even want to add to the knowledge base by creating an in depth DIY of the project!!

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page