Mazda 6 Forums banner

Headrest Modification

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  MadStyle 
#1 ·
I have a 2018 Mazda 6 Signature trim. I would love to modify the driver head rest to come forward towards my head by another inch or two.
Anyone know of a custom shop that could modify this?

I test drove a Ford Fusion Sport back in 2012/13 that had headrest that could be pulled forward. I loved the way I could rest my head without have to recline or adjust all the other angles of my seat. Would love some suggestions on how to accomplish this on my 18’ 6.

#2 ·
I haven't done anything like this, but you could try calling some upholstery shops in your area and asking them. Maybe they could take the leather off, stuff it with more material, and put some new matching leather back on. It would be a permanent change, of course.

If you wanted it to be adjustable that is pretty niche. I'm sure it could be done if you're creative enough. Maybe those Fusion ones will fit the 6, you'd have to measure. Then you could just get it reupholstered to match.

Or you could get some sort of seat cover pillow thing that you could put on and take off.

I personally think the headrest is in the perfect spot. My last car was a Civic and it had the head rest too far forward, it was unusable. This is the only car I've actually used the headrest on.

#3 ·
I have a 2018 Mazda 6 Signature trim. I would love to modify the driver head rest to come forward towards my head by another inch or two.
Anyone know of a custom shop that could modify this?

I test drove a Ford Fusion Sport back in 2012/13 that had headrest that could be pulled forward. I loved the way I could rest my head without have to recline or adjust all the other angles of my seat. Would love some suggestions on how to accomplish this on my 18’ 6.
I haven't done anything like this, but you could try calling some upholstery shops in your area and asking them. Maybe they could take the leather off, stuff it with more material, and put some new matching leather back on. It would be a permanent change, of course.

If you wanted it to be adjustable that is pretty niche. I'm sure it could be done if you're creative enough. Maybe those Fusion ones will fit the 6, you'd have to measure. Then you could just get it reupholstered to match.

Or you could get some sort of seat cover pillow thing that you could put on and take off.

I personally think the headrest is in the perfect spot. My last car was a Civic and it had the head rest too far forward, it was unusable. This is the only car I've actually used the headrest on.
Thanks for the input.
I am hoping there may be a way to have the rods modified slightly so it leans forward about another inch or so. Maybe a machine shop of some sort.

#4 ·
Bending the rods would likely cause the chrome plating to crack and flake off. Heating it would discolor it and would probably damage the upholstery and foam underneath. If the rods are not plated and they’re just polished, then someone might be able to rig up some sort clamp in a vice and bend the rods with a sufficiently large mallet, hopefully without just snapping them off in the process. If the material is hardened at all, they might not want to bend without cracking.

I second the vote for looking at headrests from other cars or maybe an aftermarket part to see if something else might be a better fit for you. I know there are aftermarket headrests out there that are universal fit using adjustable center spacing on the rods, but I can’t say I’ve seen any with adjustable tilt.

#5 ·
I can’t speak to the quality of this thing, but it does say in the description that it offers forward/back tilt adjustment along with adjustable center spacing in the posts. If this thing does it, then others likely do also. But this would give a little multimedia upgrade along with the tilt adjustment you’re looking for. Some say headrest monitors are out of fashion these days. YMMV.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rockvill...MIj5fxgufJ3QIVHZ7ACh2fzAKrEAQYASABEgKGgfD_BwE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.