LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Headrest Modification

I have a 2018 Mazda 6 Signature trim. I would love to modify the driver head rest to come forward towards my head by another inch or two.
Anyone know of a custom shop that could modify this?

I test drove a Ford Fusion Sport back in 2012/13 that had headrest that could be pulled forward. I loved the way I could rest my head without have to recline or adjust all the other angles of my seat. Would love some suggestions on how to accomplish this on my 18’ 6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridasignature View Post
I have a 2018 Mazda 6 Signature trim. I would love to modify the driver head rest to come forward towards my head by another inch or two.

I test drove a Ford Fusion Sport back in 2012/13 that had headrest that could be pulled forward. I loved the way I could rest my head without have to recline or adjust all the other angles of my seat. Would love some suggestions on how to accomplish this on my 18’ 6.
I haven't done anything like this, but you could try calling some upholstery shops in your area and asking them. Maybe they could take the leather off, stuff it with more material, and put some new matching leather back on. It would be a permanent change, of course.

If you wanted it to be adjustable that is pretty niche. I'm sure it could be done if you're creative enough. Maybe those Fusion ones will fit the 6, you'd have to measure. Then you could just get it reupholstered to match.

Or you could get some sort of seat cover pillow thing that you could put on and take off.

I personally think the headrest is in the perfect spot. My last car was a Civic and it had the head rest too far forward, it was unusable. This is the only car I've actually used the headrest on.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamadoorknob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridasignature View Post

I haven't done anything like this, but you could try calling some upholstery shops in your area and asking them. Maybe they could take the leather off, stuff it with more material, and put some new matching leather back on. It would be a permanent change, of course.

If you wanted it to be adjustable that is pretty niche. I'm sure it could be done if you're creative enough. Maybe those Fusion ones will fit the 6, you'd have to measure. Then you could just get it reupholstered to match.

Or you could get some sort of seat cover pillow thing that you could put on and take off.

I personally think the headrest is in the perfect spot. My last car was a Civic and it had the head rest too far forward, it was unusable. This is the only car I've actually used the headrest on.
Thanks for the input.
I am hoping there may be a way to have the rods modified slightly so it leans forward about another inch or so. Maybe a machine shop of some sort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Vipre77 Send a message via Yahoo to Vipre77
Bending the rods would likely cause the chrome plating to crack and flake off. Heating it would discolor it and would probably damage the upholstery and foam underneath. If the rods are not plated and they’re just polished, then someone might be able to rig up some sort clamp in a vice and bend the rods with a sufficiently large mallet, hopefully without just snapping them off in the process. If the material is hardened at all, they might not want to bend without cracking.

I second the vote for looking at headrests from other cars or maybe an aftermarket part to see if something else might be a better fit for you. I know there are aftermarket headrests out there that are universal fit using adjustable center spacing on the rods, but I can’t say I’ve seen any with adjustable tilt.

His: 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport FWD, Reflex Blue
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Vipre77 Send a message via Yahoo to Vipre77
I can’t speak to the quality of this thing, but it does say in the description that it offers forward/back tilt adjustment along with adjustable center spacing in the posts. If this thing does it, then others likely do also. But this would give a little multimedia upgrade along with the tilt adjustment you’re looking for. Some say headrest monitors are out of fashion these days. YMMV.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rockville...SABEgKGgfD_BwE

His: 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport FWD, Reflex Blue
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Garage
Most people with this issue just do a DIY and bend the posts on the headrests.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Appreciate all the tips.
Probably best to just leave it as is.
Don’t want to change it out for after market, or damage the current.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Garage
Perhaps these, I never liked them but some people swear by them..
https://stkcar.com/3d-car-headrest-neck-pillow-cushion/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page