2018 Mazda6 cupholder removal - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
2018 Mazda6 cupholder removal

Hello,

McDonalds graciously sold me a cup of iced coffee this morning with a crack in the side of the cup. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the cup drained 1/2 of the coffee into the cupholder area until I got to work. Most of it seemed to be contained but I think some leaked down through the sprung cup support holes around the sides of the cup holder.

I can not believe my luck with this car.

My wonderful smelling car now smells like coffee :/

Anyone know how to get this part out? I thought it would be similar to the 3's but that doesn't seem to be the case because the padded leather arm rest part goes all the way from back to front on the console (the 3's have a break in the armrest before the shifter area). There seems to be a space all the way around the perimeter of the cupholder part which makes me think it should come out of the console seperately.

Upon looking, it looks like it should lift out but it is in there good...I took the screw out in the bottom of one of the cupholders...I've noticed one of the parts is separate and I am assuming there could be a screw or two under there (see edited pic)..but not sure.

Anyone have any information?

I don't want to break anything, especially knowing my luck, so I thought I would see what the knowledge base is out there.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1924.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	709.9 KB
ID:	222861   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1925.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	222863  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Garage
Well, this is America. Get Lawyer and Sue!!!!

As sarcastic as I was trying to be there are probably people that would.

Aaaaannyway. Sorry to hear this. I haven't really paid much attention to them (cup holders) and the car isn't here right now to go out and see what I could come up with to help. I'll give it a go in the morning if you're looking for help.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrive For This Useful Post:
GTEyes (07-07-2018)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive View Post
Well, this is America. Get Lawyer and Sue!!!!

As sarcastic as I was trying to be there are probably people that would.

Aaaaannyway. Sorry to hear this. I haven't really paid much attention to them (cup holders) and the car isn't here right now to go out and see what I could come up with to help. I'll give it a go in the morning if you're looking for help.
Looking for any help I can get. I am gonna have a look at it again today to see what's what. I am just not a fan of going into this blind and not knowing where the hidden screws are, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a quick search and found this, the center console on the 17 Mazda 3 looks to be nearly identical in the way it is designed as our 18 Mazda 6 consoles, might be able to use the image below as your guide. The main difference is the leather stitched panels on each side, I'm thinking you'd have to unclip them all the way to the center console. Hope it helps!

Last edited by Dougspeed; 07-07-2018 at 02:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dougspeed For This Useful Post:
GTEyes (07-08-2018)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougspeed View Post
I did a quick search and found this, the center console on the 17 Mazda 3 looks to be nearly identical in the way it is designed as our 18 Mazda 6 consoles, might be able to use the image below as your guide. The main difference is the leather stitched panels on each side, I'm thinking you'd have to unclip them all the way to the center console. Hope it helps!

You're correct that they appear to be alike. I took another look at it this morning and attempted to remove the leather panels along the top of the console...I don't think you are meant to be able to remove them first, I think they come off when the entire console is removed.

I am going to abandon this for the time being because I know something is going to end up broken which would be worse than the coffee that is down there and most likely dried at this point.

Going at this blind ends up with broken plastic parts, which I don't want.

Again, thanks for your help.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 01:56 PM

Garage
I couldn't see how to get under the holders. The dealer is closed todaybut will send me the schematic Monday if they have it.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrive For This Useful Post:
GTEyes (07-08-2018)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I couldn't see how to get under the holders. The dealer is closed todaybut will send me the schematic Monday if they have it.
That would be awesome.
I was doing some more digging today. Pretty sure the coffee ran down the hump of the floor as there is a smell coming from floor, as well. I really didn't think that much leaked down. I guess coffee is pretty pungent, though.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Dealer hooked me up with a schematic. Good for future reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	222905   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	222907   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	222909  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTEyes View Post
Dealer hooked me up with a schematic. Good for future reference.
Was just coming on to post this as the parts guy finally sent it to me.

Unfortunately it doesn't come with instructions... have you had a chance to try and remove it yet as it seems the best way is to remove the entire assembly by removing the side panels first. Guessing that will give you the best access as well. If I we can get a cool morning (flippin HOT here right now) I was going to see how easy it might be to take apart. Seems like something that shouldn't be too complicated as I'm sure you're not the first or last to have something spill. Shouldn't be something difficult to access. Might even place a sheet of saran wrap down underneath so it doesn't soak in should (when) it ever happen.

Build Thread:
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Was just coming on to post this as the parts guy finally sent it to me.

Unfortunately it doesn't come with instructions... have you had a chance to try and remove it yet as it seems the best way is to remove the entire assembly by removing the side panels first. Guessing that will give you the best access as well. If I we can get a cool morning (flippin HOT here right now) I was going to see how easy it might be to take apart. Seems like something that shouldn't be too complicated as I'm sure you're not the first or last to have something spill. Shouldn't be something difficult to access. Might even place a sheet of saran wrap down underneath so it doesn't soak in should (when) it ever happen.

Did you get the exact same instructions from your guy?

I am going to have a look at it tonight. There are a few kick panels that so far seem to snap in/out (tried one quickly out in the parking lot at work)...and those need to come off first before I can access the front screws for the arm rests. I am scared to death I am going to break a clip or something on these panels as I don't have any info. on them. I've asked the dealer for more information about those ones.

I noticed this morning that the coffee smell is almost gone. I gave the carpets around the base of the console a scrubbing last night and there was some seepage down there because the white rag had some coffee brown in it when I was done.

Your idea of putting something under the cup holder is a great idea. I will be doing that for sure!

Last edited by GTEyes; 07-11-2018 at 01:20 PM.
The Following User Says NO Thank You to GTEyes For This Un-useful Post:
gulimaes (08-22-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page