2018 Mazda6 cupholder removal - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTEyes View Post
Did you get the exact same instructions from your guy?

I am going to have a look at it tonight. There are a few kick panels that so far seem to snap in/out (tried one quickly out in the parking lot at work)...and those need to come off first before I can access the front screws for the arm rests. I am scared to death I am going to break a clip or something on these panels as I don't have any info. on them. I've asked the dealer for more information about those ones.

I noticed this morning that the coffee smell is almost gone. I gave the carpets around the base of the console a scrubbing last night and there was some seepage down there because the white rag had some coffee brown in it when I was done.

Your idea of putting something under the cup holder is a great idea. I will be doing that for sure!
My man! Your luck with this car is pure rotten! I'd have quite possibly had a meltdown if McDs did that to me. At the end of the day, you're taking in stride though. My hats off to you, as well as my sympathies having had a similar experience with a Chevy years ago. A big hug for you for sure. Keep it going!

And I've had many interior components apart in my 2016 3. The clips are pretty hearty and I never broke one. They go back together quite well too in my experience. That said, I can understand your anxiety in taking your brand new car apart. It's gonna start to lose that mental new car feel before too long here, if not already. Hang in there mate!

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzy J View Post
My man! Your luck with this car is pure rotten! I'd have quite possibly had a meltdown if McDs did that to me. At the end of the day, you're taking in stride though. My hats off to you, as well as my sympathies having had a similar experience with a Chevy years ago. A big hug for you for sure. Keep it going!

And I've had many interior components apart in my 2016 3. The clips are pretty hearty and I never broke one. They go back together quite well too in my experience. That said, I can understand your anxiety in taking your brand new car apart. It's gonna start to lose that mental new car feel before too long here, if not already. Hang in there mate!
I had time to look at this tonight. More information is definitely needed (ie instructions).

Things were going smoothly, I got the leather knee kick panel off (easy, just pops off), 2 screws for leather arm rest, arm rest off (more on that later) and then I felt like I needed to be able to get up underneath the cup holder to remove it as there are a bunch of screws (3 on each side), which, looking at the schematic does seem to be the case. DON'T remove the leather arm rest without taking the screws out from underneath it like the Upper Panel Disassembly figure shows. It's all one part (64-47XZ). It comes apart but I don't think it's supposed to. :/ So don't do what I just explained.

I believe you have to take the side panel off of the centre console before you remove the leather arm rest part...The arm rest has a plastic bracket/reinforcement inside it that, I think, is supposed to come out WITH it. It is screwed into the console with screw heads pointed up, so you can't get to them with the side panel on.

Any info. I have found online has been of an older Mazda6 which has a screw in the side panel, mine does not. There is a pop rivet near the middle that comes out easily and then you can pull the part of the panel off as it is clipped in but it seems to be snugly secured about 1/2 way back, and that is where I stopped. I felt myself getting close to breaking something so I threw the towel in.

I suspect the back of the console pops off, there may be screws behind that and then the whole side panel slides towards the front of the car and off the console.

Chazzy, are you able to get a schematic to remove the side and rear covers of the centre console from the dealer?

All the clips are indeed tough, so none broke. Everything went back together as it should.

The frustrating part is I feel like if the side panels are off the centre console, you can probably clean under the cupholder...D'oh!

That's it for me tonight.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I had time to look at this tonight. More information is definitely needed (ie instructions).

Things were going smoothly, I got the leather knee kick panel off (easy, just pops off), 2 screws for leather arm rest, arm rest off (more on that later) and then I felt like I needed to be able to get up underneath the cup holder to remove it as there are a bunch of screws (3 on each side), which, looking at the schematic does seem to be the case. DON'T remove the leather arm rest without taking the screws out from underneath it like the Upper Panel Disassembly figure shows. It's all one part (64-47XZ). It comes apart but I don't think it's supposed to. :/ So don't do what I just explained.

I believe you have to take the side panel off of the centre console before you remove the leather arm rest part...The arm rest has a plastic bracket/reinforcement inside it that, I think, is supposed to come out WITH it. It is screwed into the console with screw heads pointed up, so you can't get to them with the side panel on.

Any info. I have found online has been of an older Mazda6 which has a screw in the side panel, mine does not. There is a pop rivet near the middle that comes out easily and then you can pull the part of the panel off as it is clipped in but it seems to be snugly secured about 1/2 way back, and that is where I stopped. I felt myself getting close to breaking something so I threw the towel in.

I suspect the back of the console pops off, there may be screws behind that and then the whole side panel slides towards the front of the car and off the console.

Chazzy, are you able to get a schematic to remove the side and rear covers of the centre console from the dealer?

All the clips are indeed tough, so none broke. Everything went back together as it should.

The frustrating part is I feel like if the side panels are off the centre console, you can probably clean under the cupholder...D'oh!

That's it for me tonight.
Looking at this again (I know, I am obsessive).

I think the screw in the bottom of the cupholder comes out, two screws for each front of the leather arm rests and then it should pull straight up and out. So the entire assembly that is shown as grey in the schematic ALL comes out. I am pretty sure I went in way too deep trying to remove it and it just doesn't make sense to have to do that when the previous designs weren't like that.

The coffee smell is 90% gone now so I just don't think there is enough gain to outweigh the risks with me digging around.

I saw a post where someone was putting LEDs in their cupholders and the similarities between the cupholder assemblies was just too much to ignore, hence why I am rethinking the approach.

Having said that there is a sideways clip about where the front of the previous generation cup holder used to stop...I am now wondering if that is where you pop it out, but to do that you must remove the leather arm rest first. There are numerous plastic supports under the leather arm rest which seem to break really really easily.

I've attached a pic of the back of the leather arm rest. Blue things are the clips, red are these strange horizontal supports which look like there were glued into the plastic on the console. I am not really sure what went on with those when it was removed. Green areas are vertical supports for your elbow...be VERY VERY careful when pulling this part out, as the plastic supports in the console are brittle plastic. There is a slight lip which you may need to pull up a bit to clear the plastic support fins that they cover on the console. Of course, you can see the two parts that the main screws go into on the left.

Hopefully this helps someone in the same boat as me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1961.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	222917  

Last edited by GTEyes; 07-13-2018 at 08:18 AM. Reason: More info. and pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Looking at this again (I know, I am obsessive).

I think the screw in the bottom of the cupholder comes out, two screws for each front of the leather arm rests and then it should pull straight up and out. So the entire assembly that is shown as grey in the schematic ALL comes out. I am pretty sure I went in way too deep trying to remove it and it just doesn't make sense to have to do that when the previous designs weren't like that.

The coffee smell is 90% gone now so I just don't think there is enough gain to outweigh the risks with me digging around.

I saw a post where someone was putting LEDs in their cupholders and the similarities between the cupholder assemblies was just too much to ignore, hence why I am rethinking the approach.

Having said that there is a sideways clip about where the front of the previous generation cup holder used to stop...I am now wondering if that is where you pop it out, but to do that you must remove the leather arm rest first. There are numerous plastic supports under the leather arm rest which seem to break really really easily.

I've attached a pic of the back of the leather arm rest. Blue things are the clips, red are these strange horizontal supports which look like there were glued into the plastic on the console. I am not really sure what went on with those when it was removed. Green areas are vertical supports for your elbow...be VERY VERY careful when pulling this part out, as the plastic supports in the console are brittle plastic. There is a slight lip which you may need to pull up a bit to clear the plastic support fins that they cover on the console. Of course, you can see the two parts that the main screws go into on the left.

Hopefully this helps someone in the same boat as me.
Very helpful. I'm sure as that's a major source of armrest, it's helpful to know how to replace it as the padding breaks down and the leather ultimately wears over time. Looks like it's easy enough to pop off and replace when the timing comes. Thanks for sharing mate.

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 05:30 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Hello @GTEyes

Did you manage to remove the rear console?

I am trying to remove the Upper Panel also, and i am not able to.

My version of M6 is 2017, i think is the same than yours.

i send you some pics, if you can give some advice

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180822_091316.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	223406   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180822_091145.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	746.5 KB
ID:	223408   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180822_091149.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	903.3 KB
ID:	223410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180822_091218.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	989.6 KB
ID:	223412  
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulimaes View Post
Hello @GTEyes

Did you manage to remove the rear console?

I am trying to remove the Upper Panel also, and i am not able to.

My version of M6 is 2017, i think is the same than yours.

i send you some pics, if you can give some advice

Thanks

Hi there,

The good news is that your center console is easier to remove than mine. 2017s are different. I was never able to get my 2018 apart all the way. It's a nightmare.

Check out these pictures.

https://forum.mazda6club.com/interio...mpartment.html

There are screws in the bottom of the bin under the arm rest (under the felt bottom cover) and a screw under the cup holder's bottom rubber cover. There are also plastic rivets on the side.
This thread may help, too...it is for a Mazda3 but it's after the update so it has a similar middle console.

https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...lp-please.html

Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page