Custom Bicycle rack - rear mount - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Custom Bicycle rack - rear mount

I had a roof mounted bike rack system on my 6, but I thought it took away from the looks of the car. I decided to figure out a way to take advantage of the stock tow hook mounts in the rear. They are 28" apart.. very close to the 27" spacing of the roof mounted bar positions. There was absolutely no support online trying to figure out the bolt and thread spacing of the tow hooks.

I can definitively tell that they are 20mm bolts with 2.5mm thread pitch spacing.

After a ton of searching, I found a class 12.9 bolt with these specs in a 400mm length. About 16". With a clean 17mm Allen key head and the perfect amount of thread for this application. They were not cheap! About $74 for the two bolts shipped to my house, but worth every penny. I got them from a site called McMaster Carr. They have a great app for shopping and they bolts came in 1 day!

They fit perfectly inside 3/4" black polyethylene sprinkler pipe. Very strong, but flexible pipe. Feels very much like the plastic used in Yakima crossbars. I gave the bolts a couple coats of gloss black rustoleum to slow down the rust from the black oxide treated bolts. Hit the ends with a little anti seize so they would go in and out smoothly.

Once I figured that out it was simple. The bars will work with pretty much any roof mount bike rack. I opted for the Thule Big Mouth. I added some 3M reflective tape for increased visibility.

And before you ask, "why didn't you just get a hitch?" ... I did want to put a hitch on it. Don't like the looks. My setup can be removed in just few minutes, but is theft deterrent from the locked Thule rack. You can't take the Thule rack off when it is locked and you can't take out the bolts when the Thule rack is clamped down.

Now for a few pictures...
Custom Bicycle rack - rear mount-img_0216.jpg

I added some 3M reflective tape in the last picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daddyd302, MazdaRex and txsv_2 like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GTGTGT For This Useful Post:
daddyd302 (03-18-2019), txsv_2 (04-13-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Here is a shot of when I had the roof rack. I just thought it was a little too busy up there with the sleek lines of this car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txsv_2 likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Excellent Idea, I have been wanting to add a bike rack to mine as well.
I will have to try this.

A Miata Soul in a 4 Door Sedan Body..

Current Family Fleet: I may need a bigger driveway...

2016 Mazda 6 Grand Touring (CS Springs, CS Exhaust, Tinted Windows, front plate relocated, Vinyl Wrapped roof, Debagged, Fenders Rolled with 20mm/25mm Spacers)
1990 Miata (wifes summer car)
2003 Lexus rx300 (wifes winter car)
2014 Ford Fiesta ST (oldest kids car)
1989 Skyline R32 ( youngest kids car)
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo (youngest kids other car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
This is brilliant. Coincidentally, I lost one of the covers for the tow eyes and I've been wondering if there's anything to do with the holes. Best idea I had was long bolts and a pipe or 2x4 in between to discourage those who 'park by feel.'

GTGTGT, if we ever meet, drinks are on me.
GTGTGT likes this.

-
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 01:16 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGTGT View Post
Here is a shot of when I had the roof rack.
I have nearly the same roof setup on my 2016 6. I agree, it's too busy, but ultimately I need the ability to haul a canoe and occasional lumber/etc on the roof.

I use the same Yakima setup with round bars, although I've ditched the fairing (didn't like it rubbing on the roof). I pull the bars off whenever I'm not using them. I don't love the four tower pads - they kinda spoil the roofline, but the bars are terribly loud and make a noticeable dent in gas mileage.

LOVE the rear bike rack you've whipped up. If I just needed to haul a bike or two, I'd definitely be looking at that.

2016 Mazda 6 Touring (MT)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter186 View Post
I have nearly the same roof setup on my 2016 6. I agree, it's too busy, but ultimately I need the ability to haul a canoe and occasional lumber/etc on the roof.

I use the same Yakima setup with round bars, although I've ditched the fairing (didn't like it rubbing on the roof). I pull the bars off whenever I'm not using them. I don't love the four tower pads - they kinda spoil the roofline, but the bars are terribly loud and make a noticeable dent in gas mileage.

LOVE the rear bike rack you've whipped up. If I just needed to haul a bike or two, I'd definitely be looking at that.
I agree that the roofline somehow "destroys" the aesthetics of the car. Anyways, I don't haul a lot of things so I don't see a need for it.

If ever I'll have the strength to ride a bike after a long drive, I'll put the same setup.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 12:06 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to zrxsteve62 Send a message via Skype™ to zrxsteve62
GTGTGT. That's a really smart idea and well executed. Very impressed.

Steve

2017 Snowflake White Mazda 6 Grand Touring GT Premium Package.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Well thanks to GTGTGT I also did this method. I might get another bike mount, as this one is leaving too much bike to the driver side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190324_123235.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	966.5 KB
ID:	227080   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190324_123243.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	759.9 KB
ID:	227082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190324_123250.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	937.9 KB
ID:	227084  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by daddyd302; 03-24-2019 at 02:07 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
The notion of using the "shipping eye" locations to mount a bicycle rack is elegant... A very clean look. Now this is solely my opinion: for me it is not strong enough and I believe it could cause damage to the mounting points for those rods. YMMV...

I say this for the following reasons:

- Mazda expressly says (in the owner's manual, if memory serves) that those ports and the eyes that originally were shipped with the car (in fact, they have a form-fitting styrofoam spot in the trunk... and were supplied with the earliest Gen 3 cars) are NOT meant to be used as towing eyes (where the pull-direction will often be off-center)... (I know, I know... one of course would then question why were they initially supplied to customers, and why the cut-outs in the trunk?);

- The reason for those eyes was to allow the vehicles to be held-fast during overseas shipping, where the eyes were fitted and the pull-direction when lashed-in-place was directly along the long-axis of the car... no (lateral) sheer force or bending moment at all;

- When supporting a bicycle (and particularly when said bicycle bounces up and down as bumps on the road are encountered by the car) a "bending moment" and a sheer load is introduced at the mounting points. This IMHO is totally contrary to what I believe was their intended use and more importantly - their strength / design parameters;

- The bending moment is pretty darned considerable, as the "lever-arm" for the mass at the end is long;

- When using a trailer hitch for a bicycle rack mount the hitch manufacturers (almost all) indicate that an assist-strap, or a stabilizing strap is necessary to be used... 'cuz with their hitches, which generally are designed to be pretty stout, they are worried about the undulating / bouncing / moment-inducing weight of the bicycle(s) causing damage to the hitch and the vehicle.

These are my reasons for this opinion. Others may of course vary.

I may indeed be totally wrong; the empirical results may suggest all is fine.

I would suggest, in any case, a stabilizing strap, to (say) the leading edge of the trunk, maybe two of them... each anchored close to its respective (trunk) hinge-point?
daddyd302 likes this.

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada

Last edited by Cdn17Sport6MT; 03-25-2019 at 12:47 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cdn17Sport6MT For This Useful Post:
daddyd302 (03-25-2019)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT View Post
The notion of using the "shipping eye" locations to mount a bicycle rack is elegant... A very clean look. Now this is solely my opinion: for me it is not strong enough and I believe it could cause damage to the mounting points for those rods. YMMV...

I say this for the following reasons:

- Mazda expressly says (in the owner's manual, if memory serves) that those ports and the eyes that originally were shipped with the car (in fact, they have a form-fitting styrofoam spot in the trunk... and were supplied with the earliest Gen 3 cars) are NOT meant to be used as towing eyes (where the pull-direction will often be off-center)... (I know, I know... one of course would then question why were they initially supplied to customers, and why the cut-outs in the trunk?);

- The reason for those eyes was to allow the vehicles to be held-fast during overseas shipping, where the eyes were fitted and the pull-direction when lashed-in-place was directly along the long-axis of the car... no (lateral) sheer force or bending moment at all;

- When supporting a bicycle (and particularly when said bicycle bounces up and down as bumps on the road are encountered by the car) a "bending moment" and a sheer load is introduced at the mounting points. This IMHO is totally contrary to what I believe was their intended use and more importantly - their strength / design parameters;

- The bending moment is pretty darned considerable, as the "lever-arm" for the mass at the end is long;

- When using a trailer hitch for a bicycle rack mount the hitch manufacturers (almost all) indicate that an assist-strap, or a stabilizing strap is necessary to be used... 'cuz with their hitches, which generally are designed to be pretty stout, they are worried about the undulating / bouncing / moment-inducing weight of the bicycle(s) causing damage to the hitch and the vehicle.

These are my reasons for this opinion. Others may of course vary.

I may indeed be totally wrong; the empirical results may suggest all is fine.

I would suggest, in any case, a stabilizing strap, to (say) the leading edge of the trunk, maybe two of them... each anchored close to its respective (trunk) hinge-point?
I now have my second thoughts about this bike rack with what you said.

I've been on a car ship once. I didn't notice where they connect the lashings​ but surely, it is somewhere there.

Anyways, our bikes have been stolen so I need first to have a bike.

Taking the opportunity, I think it is safe to use those "connections" for towing. Am I right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page