3rd Gen Detailing/Car Care Thread! - Page 27 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #261 of 286 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 08:47 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 764 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2768 Post(s)
Thanked 4,011 Times in 2,818 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
Here we go again...
@Byakuya

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by neenwht6 View Post
Yep. Went back and read his other posts. Lives in Florida, asks for instructions, soap box posts, yada, yada, yada

He's baaack!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanson View Post
I can see where you were trying to be helpful, but ended up just coming across as a complete douche. That is unfortunate because there were some good points there.

FYI full-grain leathers (like my red leather seats on my Durango) need something more than wax. Bonded leathers, semi-aniline leathers, full-grain leathers, yeah they all have different requirements. So nothing is a catch-all.

Here's a useful tip from a pro - Optimum Opti Clean 2.0 + a 3:1 ratio with distilled or filtered water + a splash of isopropyl alcohol makes a really good interior cleaner.

OTC products are meant to just buy and go. They aren't bad, they are just fail-safe. Pretty much everything but Armor-All is acceptable, IMO and in my personal detailing experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
You haven't met this guy yet. He has a long history here, despite his current low post count. His handle is pure irony, not lost on me or others. Watch as this unfolds...

Thanks for the mention, Gerry.

Honestly, I have been watching him very closely since he joined the forum. It's very difficult to hide one's mannerisms and habits, especially after I've already banned him 5 times for this exact same behavior.

Each time he comes back to the forum, he begins by trying to get along with everyone, asking harmless-enough questions; and each time I do my best to reply to his questions and help him out.

Then he can't resist posting something like this, as well as the inane plasti-dip one he already put up.

Seiya, @Mazda6Suspension, I knew from the moment you started talking on this forum that you wouldn't be able to help yourself, and would revert to your old habits. I PM'd Brett from CorkSport immediately, telling him to humor you and your rants on his thread, and let me know as soon as you got out of hand.

You have 24 hours to clean up the garbage you continue to strew on this forum, lest you be banned a 6th time.

Though, I'm sure @SubiGT would like that so he can add to his signature.
SubiGT and Zeffer like this.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

The Following User Says Thank You to Byakuya For This Useful Post:
SubiGT (07-25-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 286 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah. How fitting then that I was watching the Internet Trolls South Park episode last night.

2016 Mazda 6 Touring
post #263 of 286 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Ah. How fitting then that I was watching the Internet Trolls South Park episode last night.
Serendipitous, indeed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #264 of 286 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 11:10 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Thanks for the mention, Gerry.

Honestly, I have been watching him very closely since he joined the forum. It's very difficult to hide one's mannerisms and habits, especially after I've already banned him 5 times for this exact same behavior.

Each time he comes back to the forum, he begins by trying to get along with everyone, asking harmless-enough questions; and each time I do my best to reply to his questions and help him out.

Then he can't resist posting something like this, as well as the inane plasti-dip one he already put up.

Seiya, @Mazda6Suspension, I knew from the moment you started talking on this forum that you wouldn't be able to help yourself, and would revert to your old habits. I PM'd Brett from CorkSport immediately, telling him to humor you and your rants on his thread, and let me know as soon as you got out of hand.

You have 24 hours to clean up the garbage you continue to strew on this forum, lest you be banned a 6th time.

Though, I'm sure @SubiGT would like that so he can add to his signature.
Ready!
GerryB likes this.

At least I have chicken- Leeroy Jenkins

v5.0 and counting
post #265 of 286 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Couple quick questions on prepping my white 2015 m6 for cquartz.

I have some light swirl marks, is the mequiars dual action drill attachment and some m205 the best to get those out? Has anyone burned through their clear coat on here? Which pad to use?

I plan to wash twice with dawn, iron x, clay, polish, wash again with dawn. Should I follow up with an isopropyl/microfiber wash as the last thing before the cquartz?
post #266 of 286 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
The drill attachment is something i would not recommend unless you have no other avenue. i.e. if you are without a garage and have no source of electricity, and the only option to polish your car is using a battery drill, then go ahead with the Meguiars drill attachment polisher. If you have a power socket that you can use, buy a rupes duetto or Meguiars DA polisher.

The intent of using a dish washing soap to wash your car is to strip off any previous layers of wax/sealants. I'd just do a regular wash with car shampoo since you are hitting it with iron x and claying it anyways which will remove any previous layers of protection. Once you have cleaned the car and sprayed it with Iron x, do another rinse with just water ( or soap if you have time) before starting to clay. It is not necessary to wash again after claying. After you've clay bar the car, i suggest M105 or Rupes Quarz medium compound with rupes maroon or yellow cutting pad. M205 is a finisher and wont do much to remove deeper swirls. Once you are done compounding and have removed most of the swirls , finish with M205 or rupes ultra fine polish with yellow pad. Now give a final wipe down with isopropyl alcohol to remove the compound/polish agent before applying your choice of protection. Cquartz if you fancy ceramic or even regular synthetic protectant like menzerna should hold good for 6months to an year.
post #267 of 286 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 08:41 PM

I agree with that, get a good DA and you'll be happy. I love the Griot's Garage GG6 for a starter unit, mostly because of the lifetime warranty. Buy direct from Griot's and they usually cover shipping both ways for warranty, I've learned. Also the Harbor Freight DA is great, just replace the grease with something way better (I went with high-temp boat grease, the good red stuff) and it will serve. You need a good backing pad, the HF one is junk. And if you want something that will do more work in less time, the Griot's BOSS (15mm or 21mm) is a great choice because it has the warranty, and has a great backing pad by default. I have a BOSS G15 on a 5.5" pad myself, that's my 100% go-to daily.

2016 Mazda 6 Touring
post #268 of 286 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, budget will only allow the HF DA which should be fine since I only plan on a once a yr polish.
post #269 of 286 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Dixon View Post
Thanks, budget will only allow the HF DA which should be fine since I only plan on a once a yr polish.
You should be fine. Like I said just get a quality backing pad, the HF pad is unacceptable for car polishing. GOOD for car sanding however! The CG flexible pad I use now works great with it. Also with my HF polisher (which is my backup of my backup) I wrapped (with traction tape) the metal around the cup because it gets really hot and its a good place to grab the polisher as long as you're not burning yourself!

If you are on a bit of a budget or just need a good starting point, a safe bet (besides the Griot BOSS polishing/correction creams) is the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Polish. They remain great for what they are, and there are some paints (like the new super-picky GM black) that do better with them that many of other "pro" products I have. And for pads (which is where the real money is spent, lol), Buff N Shine pads work really well with the HF unit. 5-5.5" would be my recommendation, try to stay with a smaller size to increase pressure potential which makes the relatively weak HF unit more effective and easier to wield! I still use the HF unit to do things like scrub really bad carpets (with a brush "pad").

Polish away! Oh and there's a Cobra surfacing pad that can do what clay bars do but on a more powerful level, and faster. There's a great excuse to break out the polisher more often than once a year.

2016 Mazda 6 Touring
post #270 of 286 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
I can see where you were trying to be helpful, but ended up just coming across as a complete douche. That is unfortunate because there were some good points there.

FYI full-grain leathers (like my red leather seats on my Durango) need something more than wax. Bonded leathers, semi-aniline leathers, full-grain leathers, yeah they all have different requirements. So nothing is a catch-all.

Here's a useful tip from a pro - Optimum Opti Clean 2.0 + a 3:1 ratio with distilled or filtered water + a splash of isopropyl alcohol makes a really good interior cleaner.

OTC products are meant to just buy and go. They aren't bad, they are just fail-safe. Pretty much everything but Armor-All is acceptable, IMO and in my personal detailing experience.
Ha, your first line stole the words out of my mouth. I moderate a completely different kind of forum, and we have those kind of knuckleheads too. why do some folks have to call others stupid when giving advice?

It's like telling people that coffee shops don't buy 12oz bags of ground coffee to use in the store. Well, duh. Buy in bulk. For chemicals, if you can buy concentrated stuff and dilute, do it.

I don't have space to have 4-8 different gallon or 5 gallon sized containers sitting around. So, Chemical Bro's and Meguiars does the trick for me. Just can't go crazy with it or you're spending too much money. sometimes just good old soap and water works wonders too. UV light is a big deal, so whatever you can do to minimize the impact also helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page