2014 Mazda6 Roof Rack Options - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hintzy64 View Post
Question for you guys who did the 460R/3069 setup: Are your load bars level from front to back when mounted this way?
based on that attachment method, i dont see how they could be level. i use the fixpoint feet and there are shims basically that make it almost level for both front and back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 Mazda3 Hatch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by biking4jesus View Post
based on that attachment method, i dont see how they could be level. i use the fixpoint feet and there are shims basically that make it almost level for both front and back.
The 1715 kit contains contoured rubber pads that attach to the bottom of the 480R feet and match the curve of the roofline at each mount point. I would have thought they would vary the thickness of the rubber pads (e.g. taper from front to back for the front set) so that the feet would come out level, but they don't. Maybe they do some taper, but can only level it so much for whatever reason.

I'll go check again that I put the correct pads on each corner and didn't mix them up. I also asked Rack Outfitters and they said as long as the fit kit pads & brackets are in the right spots and I measured out the positioning of the load bars correctly (and they said it looked good in the pictures), any remaining tilt is fine. So I'm probably okay, it's just not what I expected.

Hey, as long as I can attach my bike and kayak carriers and stuff doesn't come flying off when I drive, we're good right?

'14 Mazda 6 Grand Touring
'69 BMW 1600-02
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Groans: 2
+1 on as long as it carried your gear!

05 Mazda3 Hatch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 12:32 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groans: 1
I need this info... for a Yakima rack I had on my old speed6 to put onto my current 6... lol. Good to know we have the attachment points - thanks!
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 04:00 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Update: It was bugging me that the front feet were tilted forward like that so, being an insufferably curious engineer, I decided to experiment with putting the rubber fit kit pads on the opposite side from what is indicated in the installation instructions. (i.e. move FL to FR and vice versa) Doing this resulted in a much better fit. When swapped, the thicker end of the pads are now towards the front of the car, which means the feet and load bar sit very nearly level instead of leaning forwards. (pictures below) This configuration makes sense to me. Also, the little lip on the inside edge of the pad where it fits over the edge of the rain gutter actually sits flush against the edge of the gutter now. I previously had to twist the feet outward (pigeon-toed) somewhat to make this fit.

So I'm pretty sure that Thule has a typo in their instructions. I talked with support folks at Rack Outfitters and they agree that the thicker end of the pad should be towards the front and they should be swapped. I also contacted Thule and they asked for pictures of it installed both ways, but I haven't heard anything else back yet.

Anyway, just an FYI for anybody planning to use a Thule 480R/1715 setup on their new 6. I'd recommend putting pad #269 on the front RIGHT and #272 on the front LEFT.

Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swapped_0624141306a.jpg
Views:	1883
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	122529   Click image for larger version

Name:	swapped_closeup_0624141307a.jpg
Views:	1746
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	122537  

'14 Mazda 6 Grand Touring
'69 BMW 1600-02
The Following User Says Thank You to hintzy64 For This Useful Post:
VWGTI123 (06-25-2014)
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 10:52 AM
DVT
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hintzy,

This is great info! We're getting ready to install the same kit on our 2015 Mazda6, and knowing we can flip the feet to get a level bar set is fantastic. Thank you.

Can I ask, how far apart is the spacing on your cross bars, from inner edge to inner edge? Just trying to gauge fit with our existing Thule box.
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Shopping cart - Thule

Can anyone confirm with these foot attachments, I do not require anymore hardware for mounting the rackblades?
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 02:06 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Groans: 8
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinex88 View Post
Shopping cart - Thule

Can anyone confirm with these foot attachments, I do not require anymore hardware for mounting the rackblades?
Link doesn't work!

2014 Mazda6 JBM Sport.
LED Treatment (Red Interior, White Vanity, White Trunk, White License Plate, Rear Turn Signal LEDs)
DDM 55W HIDs
AutoTrim Kick Plates & Mud Flaps
Wishlist: Corksport SRI,
, 25% Tints,
, Chrome Door Handles, Gloss Plastidipped Wheels.

post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 07:15 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 755 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Thanked 4,004 Times in 2,811 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Uhhhh hopefully @biking4jesus or maybe the rack master @Drizzoh can help me out on this one.....

Got an Aeroblade set from Craigslist, good condition. Got the correct 3069 fit kit from eBay, and all of it went seamlessly.

Got a 44" Thule Fairing from Thule themselves and assembled it today.

WTF went wrong and how can I fix it? No matter how tight I tighten the sides or loosen, it keeps flaring up on the sides......

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Drizzoh Send a message via MSN to Drizzoh Send a message via Yahoo to Drizzoh
You're doing it wrong, lol.

The Thule farings are retarded. I don't have a Thule (for no reason other than the Yak looks better, IMO) but it looks like you have the inside and outside mounting pieces switched (if they're different) or you need to adjust the faring where it snaps into the mounts. Middle needs to go further back and/or sides need to come out.

Instructions: http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/orsra...ctions-pdf.pdf

Andrew |

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Drizzoh; 08-12-2014 at 07:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drizzoh For This Useful Post:
Byakuya (08-12-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page