LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation

Hey, I was perusing 6tech and there was a small thread that addressed weight reduction.

I'm starting to get a little more "performance-minded" and was wondering what can be done to increase performance through weight reduction. I'm not talking about CF this or that... but what can be removed from a stock car that can reduce weight, but remain practical... ie: i don't want to remove my seats.... keep in mind... daily driver.

Note that I'm not talking about any optional equipment as I have a completely stock base 6i MTX.

So far all i can think of is:

1) remove spare tire/jack
2) possibly remove AC unit (i don't use it anyway... love the wind in my face)
3) cant think of anything else at the moment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Mazda Gremlyn Send a message via MSN to Mazda Gremlyn
Well when I autox, I remove all the extra stuff in the rear of the car. Otherthan that, theres not much inside the car you'd want to remove on a daily driver. You could make sure to buy lightweight components such as most of the headers are, light wheels and tires. Lighter flywheel unit not only would help revs but also takes those pound off what the car has to carry around, albeit only 10lbs or so, but still weight is weight.

2004 Mazda6s MTX: Gone...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Replaced with a 2011 WRX Hatch!

1988 323 GTX: Need to finish re-rebuilding the engine...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 03:43 PM

You could remove the balance shaft, that's about 18 lbs off the front end total including 6lbs of rotating mass (which means some power recovery as well). I ordered the BS removal kit from Marcy a while ago and haven't heard or received a thing, so who knows.

Also, you could get an Odyssey or similar lightweight battery and there goes another 20lbs from the front end. Or relocate the batt to the trunk to push the car toward a more neutral weight distribution.

Another option is a single exhaust (no Y-pipe, extra tubing or pointless 2nd muffler), but at least several people have been waiting a long time for one to come out. (I was waiting too, but gave up and got the Magnaflow... I wish I was still waiting...)

Definitely remove the spare/jack but don't forget a can of Fix-a-Flat.

Also, get a set of 16's for track days, those 18's ain't gonna help.

And get the true euro tail-lights, that bulge has to weight a ton. Hehe...

2003 Performance White 6i Sedan, MTX Used to have a turbo, now pursuing the DD dream

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 04:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to migueloo Send a message via MSN to migueloo
you can switch to a lighweight battery or remove the power steering

silver 03 6s mtx - Cpe intake, draxas cat-back, d2 coilovers, koni yellows, endless brakes, wagner headers and y pipe, ssr comps, 235/45/17 RE-01R, dg motorsports cf hood, erbuni grill, black euros, folding mirrors, JL audio speakers/amp and 2 10w3.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The biggest change to stretch's car was the 16's. Get the dubs off asap and move to a smaller diameter wheel/tire. Not only are tires significantly cheaper, but you reduce your gear ratios, which makes a massive difference on the 6i. Pulls like a crazy mofo.

Start checking ebay for 16x8 +50 rx7 wheels. They're around 14 or so lbs a piece and pretty inexpensive. (You'll drop almost 50 lbs of unsprung weight off the car). (Run 245/45/16's if otaking's fit)

I'm pretty sure if you chucked the AC you'd throw a check engine light, as there are a few HVAC cel's in the master list.

And don't forget the driver too. Shave off a few lbs yourself, and your car gains the benefits.

The batt's easy to do as well, and weighs in at 15 lbs (for the metal sleeve PC680), which is a good chunk less then stock.

Or you could just buy an old lime green civic for 3000 USD and strip it...and end up with a car thats around 2100 lbs with a superior suspension to the 6's. (Front and rear double wishbone)

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Send a message via AIM to Mazda Gremlyn Send a message via MSN to Mazda Gremlyn
otaking's 245's do fit, with just over 2 degrees of negative rear camber

2004 Mazda6s MTX: Gone...
Replaced with a 2011 WRX Hatch!

1988 323 GTX: Need to finish re-rebuilding the engine...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

hmm.. well... thanks for all the ideas, and i don't want to get into another wheel weight/ diameter discussion... i know smaller/lighter equals better.

I was leaning this thread toward... stock components that can be deleted/modified.... not full on replacements like exhaust/rims.

yeah i might switch to an optima battery... sounds like an easy switch out...

as for shaving some pounds off myself. I'm 5'11 at 150 lbs. A pretty gangly fella if you ask myself. I think i'd still need to be conscious to drive my car around.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 06:19 PM

No optima...odyssey. The optima's only a few lbs light, the PC680's like 20-30 lbs lighter.

0.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile just sitting there waiting to be released...if you just snagged some 16's .

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

yeah yeah...

I think i started a thread about that before... wondering if getting my lightweight 18's (19lbs) would help or decrease my performance from my previous 16" protege 5 rims.

And well, after i've gotten my 18's on... there is a noticeable performance loss. It is there.... but not too significant. I know you're all about performance, but hey... i need to impress the ladies... and all they see is bling bling.... so I'm happy with my 18's.

I will be looking into that odessey battery... although it sits lower, its pretty much like getting a CF hood.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 06:50 PM

Ya...but if you combine it with a CF hood...

Its technically possible to get a 6i MTX to 2650 lbs. You have to rip alot of shit out to do that, but you can get it there.

I'd really leave the AC alone. If you ever decided to trade in the car...man oh man would you take a hit for not having a functioning ac system. I made the mistake of yanking the AC out of my last car. I'd only do it if you really willing on race preping your car. (Aka it would be silly to have 18's and no AC...remember the beautiful babies like to be nice and cool )

Technically its even possible to get a 6s MTX below 3000 lbs too...if you replace the god awful heavy exhaust system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page