Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires For Track Use

Hey Guys,

i want to start tracking my car/auto X this summer and wanted to get a couple people's opinion on what tires etc. i should be looking into.

I have a spare set of 17' alloy Rims that i was using for my winters until i blew a tire last week. I ended up scoring a deal on a set of steel rims and some winter tires that should last me till the end of the season.

I have a set of all seasons on my OEM 18" wheels that i plan on using while i DD the car and i would like to put a decent set of summers on the now spare 17s for track/autoX use.

Any suggestions on size/what tire i should be looking at? Keep in mind this will be my first time on a track and i probably wont benefit from the most expensive tires. Looking for a good bang for buck tire and the best tire size for this situation.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Drizzoh Send a message via MSN to Drizzoh Send a message via Yahoo to Drizzoh
Honestly, man. If you've never tracked before, don't start making changes to the vehicle before you even know what it's capable of. Tracking is totally different than driving on the street (even aggressively). Go out and do 3-4 events minimum before you decide to make any changes to the vehicle, and do a driver day with an instructor if it's offered. Sure, the A/S's will be all slippery out there, but definitely see what you are capable of before you upgrade the ride.

To answer your question though, Hankook RS-3's are a fantastic autocross tire. The size you can run will depend on the wheel width/offset, your suspension setup and what class you want to run in. Wider generally = more grip.
mcbru and kingkhan like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Andrew |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzoh View Post
Honestly, man. If you've never tracked before, don't start making changes to the vehicle before you even know what it's capable of. Tracking is totally different than driving on the street (even aggressively). Go out and do 3-4 events minimum before you decide to make any changes to the vehicle, and do a driver day with an instructor if it's offered. Sure, the A/S's will be all slippery out there, but definitely see what you are capable of before you upgrade the ride.

To answer your question though, Hankook RS-3's are a fantastic autocross tire. The size you can run will depend on the wheel width/offset, your suspension setup and what class you want to run in. Wider generally = more grip.
Thanks for the suggestion and i totally agree. I will likely try out my first event on the All seasons and go from there. The all seasons i have on the oem rims are the general gmax as-03 215/45/R18

As for the tire suggestion, i was thinking of going with 225/50/17 or 225/45/17 (whichever would fit better). Definitely want to go with the wider tire as you said it helps with putting power down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Groans: 15
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:

I get your point, but there is no bad that can come from adding proper tires before the event.

2018 Charger Hellcat
1997 Miata M Edition - Supercharged + lots more. 160 WHP FOR SALE!
2006 MAZDASPEED6 GT #3557 - SOLD!

2007 MAZDASPEED6 GT - SOLD!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 05:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Drizzoh Send a message via MSN to Drizzoh Send a message via Yahoo to Drizzoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkhan View Post
Thanks for the suggestion and i totally agree. I will likely try out my first event on the All seasons and go from there. The all seasons i have on the oem rims are the general gmax as-03 215/45/R18

As for the tire suggestion, i was thinking of going with 225/50/17 or 225/45/17 (whichever would fit better). Definitely want to go with the wider tire as you said it helps with putting power down.
Good luck with it man. Also another reason is to make sure you'll like it and it will be something you'll want to invest in. It's not a cheap sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_MS6 View Post
I get your point, but there is no bad that can come from adding proper tires before the event.
Everyone sees it differently. Case in point there is no better mod than the driver mod. Seat time is the most important thing a driver can have. Surely there are no negatives to running with stickier tires, but it's definitely not necessary to invest a few hundred just to TRY OUT racing. If after a few events the OP really likes it and thinks he'll stick with it, then by all means upgrade the hell out of the ride, but many want to get into it and then realize it will be too expensive or too time consuming and I don't want him to waste a lot of money on something he won't benefit from that much. The OP came looking for advice and as someone that tracked 3-4 seasons (autocross then HPDE), that's the best advice I can give. Mods won't make him faster if he doesn't know how his car drives at the track. It really takes a few events to learn how to drive the car. This is highly recommended before adding to it and changing its handling characteristics.

Andrew |

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Groans: 15
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Good luck with it man. Also another reason is to make sure you'll like it and it will be something you'll want to invest in. It's not a cheap sport.

Everyone sees it differently. Case in point there is no better mod than the driver mod. Seat time is the most important thing a driver can have. Surely there are no negatives to running with stickier tires, but it's definitely not necessary to invest a few hundred just to TRY OUT racing. If after a few events the OP really likes it and thinks he'll stick with it, then by all means upgrade the hell out of the ride, but many want to get into it and then realize it will be too expensive or too time consuming and I don't want him to waste a lot of money on something he won't benefit from that much. The OP came looking for advice and as someone that tracked 3-4 seasons (autocross then HPDE), that's the best advice I can give. Mods won't make him faster if he doesn't know how his car drives at the track. It really takes a few events to learn how to drive the car. This is highly recommended before adding to it and changing its handling characteristics.
Don't forget that if someone has junk/worn out tires etc, they are likely to hurt their car, themselves and/or other drivers/cars. Plenty of tires out there that are fine for boring street driving, but try them on a track & you're sliding or rolling off the track real quick.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_MS6 View Post
Don't forget that if someone has junk/worn out tires etc, they are likely to hurt their car, themselves and/or other drivers/cars. Plenty of tires out there that are fine for boring street driving, but try them on a track & you're sliding or rolling off the track real quick.
Haha that happened to me on my first time out with good tires. 4-5 month old S-Drives and I 270'd my very first corner lol. Those tires were junk on the 6 anyway though. I was much happier on General Exclaim UHP's and then the Hankook V12's I eventually settled on. Those did better on track with the 6 than the Star Specs on my track wheelset.

Andrew |

|
|
|
|
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 08:23 AM
Lowspeed

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Thanked 3,288 Times in 2,155 Posts
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
For first timer AutoX just go with whatever is on the car. First several events actually. You really want to be more worried about not getting lost than you do going fast.

Cause, trust me, your gonna get lost in the sea of cones the first time. And when you're not getting lost, you're going to be over driving it. Then your timing is gonna be all wrong. This is pretty much going to be your first 2-3 events. By this point you'll be either done with it and never going back, or you'll be looking at all kinds of things you can improve and tires may or may not be at the top of the list.

Regardless, depending on your SCCA Region location and the course they run you likely won't be seeing speeds over 40-50 mph or anything beyond 2nd gear. And again, navigation is more of an issue than traction will be.

Do look up your local chapter and go through their "Your First Event" page- this is the one for my chapter- Dixie Region SCCA - Your First Event

Again, in case I haven't said it enough, do a few, then see if you want to invest $$. Lotsa folks find they like the driving part, but not travel, the working and other stuff that goes with an event. You'll spend the day there, rack up maybe 3-5 minutes actual drive time, and spend literally hours chasing cones while other are driving. It's a blast, but not everybody's cup of tea...

Sold 7/2016- Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop, fully bolted & badass

BMW 135i - double the turbos, double the fun!
E82.N54 2009 BSM - MHD S1+ / xHP S2 / PR CP & IC /
WL RSFI, Koni & Eibach / EBC Red's & Firehawk 500's
340 whp / 371 wtq
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Good advice. Work on the driver before the car.

Remember, slow in, fast out.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thanks guys for the advice. I think I'll stick with the All seasons for now as drizzoh suggested. I actually just got the car in december, so im still learning the car's handling characteristics.

If anybody knows of any upcoming events in the Toronto area that would be fantastic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page