About to buy an MS6, some problems... - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
About to buy an MS6, some problems...

Hi,

I've spotted a 2006 Mazda MPS in good condition, completely stock. I drove halfway across the country for a test drive, and got a CEL right after leaving the store. I turned around, they took it in and said it was a faulty plug. They said it was probably because they had washed the engine when they took it in, and would replace the plug the next day.

I drove back home and we agreed they would deliver the car to my home for a 2-day test drive without any obligation to buy it. Sounds good so far.

Well, last night they called and said it now has a CEL for a faulty ignition coil. Apparently the washing has caused this as well, in the same 1st cylinder. I'll be getting more information in the next few days, but i'd like some opinion on whether i should drop the whole thing on the spot.

Should i expect more and more electrical problems later if i go ahead with this?

Last edited by ms6fi; 08-10-2015 at 12:44 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
I'd be walking away.

Find yourself a newer Mazdaspeed 3.

06 MX5 GT - w/ Susp. Package (Bilstein shocks and LSD), Prog. Tech. Springs, Bose/xCarlink/10 Inch Fosgate P2 with Alpine 250w amp, RoadsterSport 2 Muffler, Racing Beat catless midpipe, AEM CAI, RHT
05 6i, Glacier Silver - Traded!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilus View Post
I'd be walking away.

Find yourself a newer Mazdaspeed 3.
Would you care to be more specific as to why? They replaced all the plugs and are (apparently) now going to identify and replace the faulty coil before handing it over for a test drive. What else could have gone bust during the wash?

The MS3 would be nice, but i'm after a 4WD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 12:58 AM

You've been mum about mileage, which is curious, its usually one of the first things mentioned in threads like this.

I'd be walking away mainly because I wouldn't want to deal with any issues that they may have caused in their time with it.

06 MX5 GT - w/ Susp. Package (Bilstein shocks and LSD), Prog. Tech. Springs, Bose/xCarlink/10 Inch Fosgate P2 with Alpine 250w amp, RoadsterSport 2 Muffler, Racing Beat catless midpipe, AEM CAI, RHT
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilus View Post
You've been mum about mileage, which is curious, its usually one of the first things mentioned in threads like this.

I'd be walking away mainly because I wouldn't want to deal with any issues that they may have caused in their time with it.
Sorry, mileage is 160,000 km / some 99,000 miles or thereabouts. As mentioned, the car is completely stock. If i take the test drive offer i will of course be looking for further clues whether it has always been stock or not.

Other than this issue with the plugs/coils, the car appears to be in very good condition. I did a visual check, and during the brief test drive i noticed nothing else out of order. I figured it was a good gesture for them to deliver it to me for a two-day obligation-free test drive so i can check it out better. After all i drove 300 km to check out the car, and another 300 back.

I don't really expect any sort of foul play on their part in this, because they'd have to be complete idiots to risk driving a known faulty car 300 kilometers, hand it over to me for two days, and then drive another 300 km back if i didn't want it.

I'd just like to know if there is serious reason to expect a lot of further trouble, if anyone has had any such experience?

Last edited by ms6fi; 08-10-2015 at 01:06 AM.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 01:09 AM

Of course its a nice gesture.... Remember one thing. Their job is to sell cars, and make money. I'd make sure they get all the bugs worked out before you even think about looking at the car again.

If that means paying a minimum wage porter to drive a used car to your door step, they'll certainly go to that length if it means earning your favor.

100k miles is where you start entering maintenance territory for the speed6. So remember when contemplating the purchase that you will likely have something that needs to be repaired in the near future.

I've seen it thrown about from time to time here, the Speed 6 owners talking about how the Speed 6 requires lots of attention to keep it happy... and attention often also means $$$.

Food for thought.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nihilus For This Useful Post:
SonicNutrition (08-11-2015)
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Indeed, their job is to make money. I do what i can to make sure no money is made by skinning it off of my backside, hence the caution with this. Speaking of money, i'm currently running a 20-year old BMW with 200k miles on it which, understandably since it's an old car, drains cash like nuts, so "some" repairs on the MS6 won't be killing me. Only if there is something seriously messed up with the car's electronics.

If we go off on a limb here and pretend the fault was something serious and constant, I couldn't find any specific info about what could be ruining coils and plugs regularly. Any ideas? Excluding tuning the car of course, which i have zero interest in. I've owned a turbocharged car before and the MS6, if i buy one, will definitely remain stock.

If i'm still considering it (apparently i am...) i will be asking for some sort of a warranty regarding the plugs and coils, in case something else cooks up.

Edit: forgot to mention, they've done compression tests as well as pressurized the turbo if i understood correctly. No leaks or issues. Doesn't mean anything regarding electronics, though, but nice to know.

Last edited by ms6fi; 08-10-2015 at 01:42 AM.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Groans: 15
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
I'd walk away

2018 Charger Hellcat
1999 Corvette - Vortech 623 WHP
2004 Acura TL
2006 MAZDASPEED6 GT #3557 - SOLD!
2007 MAZDASPEED6 GT - SOLD!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Really? Are the electronics on the MS6 that shitty? I can understand water in the plug hole to cause problems, it's the reason i've never washed my engine with nothing but a towel, but if these are sure signs of big issues i should probably look elsewhere.

Last edited by ms6fi; 08-10-2015 at 07:57 AM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Groans: 15
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6fi View Post
Really? Are the electronics on the MS6 that shitty? I can understand water in the plug hole to cause problems, it's the reason i've never washed my engine with nothing but a towel, but if these are sure signs of big issues i should probably look elsewhere.
No, not at all. Just walk from that particular car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page