Mazda 6 Forums banner

About to buy an MS6, some problems...

4K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  Nihilus 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I've spotted a 2006 Mazda MPS in good condition, completely stock. I drove halfway across the country for a test drive, and got a CEL right after leaving the store. I turned around, they took it in and said it was a faulty plug. They said it was probably because they had washed the engine when they took it in, and would replace the plug the next day.

I drove back home and we agreed they would deliver the car to my home for a 2-day test drive without any obligation to buy it. Sounds good so far.

Well, last night they called and said it now has a CEL for a faulty ignition coil. Apparently the washing has caused this as well, in the same 1st cylinder. I'll be getting more information in the next few days, but i'd like some opinion on whether i should drop the whole thing on the spot.

Should i expect more and more electrical problems later if i go ahead with this?

#2 ·
I'd be walking away.

Find yourself a newer Mazdaspeed 3.

#3 ·
Would you care to be more specific as to why? They replaced all the plugs and are (apparently) now going to identify and replace the faulty coil before handing it over for a test drive. What else could have gone bust during the wash?

The MS3 would be nice, but i'm after a 4WD. :wink2:

#4 ·
You've been mum about mileage, which is curious, its usually one of the first things mentioned in threads like this.

I'd be walking away mainly because I wouldn't want to deal with any issues that they may have caused in their time with it.

#5 · (Edited)
Sorry, mileage is 160,000 km / some 99,000 miles or thereabouts. As mentioned, the car is completely stock. If i take the test drive offer i will of course be looking for further clues whether it has always been stock or not.

Other than this issue with the plugs/coils, the car appears to be in very good condition. I did a visual check, and during the brief test drive i noticed nothing else out of order. I figured it was a good gesture for them to deliver it to me for a two-day obligation-free test drive so i can check it out better. After all i drove 300 km to check out the car, and another 300 back.

I don't really expect any sort of foul play on their part in this, because they'd have to be complete idiots to risk driving a known faulty car 300 kilometers, hand it over to me for two days, and then drive another 300 km back if i didn't want it.

I'd just like to know if there is serious reason to expect a lot of further trouble, if anyone has had any such experience?

#6 ·
Of course its a nice gesture.... Remember one thing. Their job is to sell cars, and make money. I'd make sure they get all the bugs worked out before you even think about looking at the car again.

If that means paying a minimum wage porter to drive a used car to your door step, they'll certainly go to that length if it means earning your favor.

100k miles is where you start entering maintenance territory for the speed6. So remember when contemplating the purchase that you will likely have something that needs to be repaired in the near future.

I've seen it thrown about from time to time here, the Speed 6 owners talking about how the Speed 6 requires lots of attention to keep it happy... and attention often also means $$$.

Food for thought.

Reactions: SonicNutrition
#7 · (Edited)
Indeed, their job is to make money. I do what i can to make sure no money is made by skinning it off of my backside, hence the caution with this. Speaking of money, i'm currently running a 20-year old BMW with 200k miles on it which, understandably since it's an old car, drains cash like nuts, so "some" repairs on the MS6 won't be killing me. Only if there is something seriously messed up with the car's electronics.

If we go off on a limb here and pretend the fault was something serious and constant, I couldn't find any specific info about what could be ruining coils and plugs regularly. Any ideas? Excluding tuning the car of course, which i have zero interest in. I've owned a turbocharged car before and the MS6, if i buy one, will definitely remain stock.

If i'm still considering it (apparently i am...) i will be asking for some sort of a warranty regarding the plugs and coils, in case something else cooks up.

Edit: forgot to mention, they've done compression tests as well as pressurized the turbo if i understood correctly. No leaks or issues. Doesn't mean anything regarding electronics, though, but nice to know.

#13 · (Edited)
Do whatever you want to do... Obviously what we're saying is having no effect. No one has first hand experience because we haven't seen or touched this particular vehicle.....

:deadhorse:

It already has issues, the car's had 4 owners which means 4 different people who did fuck knows what with maintenance.... Speed 6's are special cars and they require a lot of care. I highly doubt that all 4 of those owners took extra special care of the car while they owned it.

Today its plugs and wires, tomorrow you'll be back telling us the turbo is smoking....

If i'm still considering it (apparently i am...) i will be asking for some sort of a warranty regarding the plugs and coils, in case something else cooks up.
lol good luck with that

As I said before, you're better off with a newer, less beat on, Speed 3. You say you want AWD, but iirc the Speed 6 is FWD until they slip and then a maximum of 50% of the power goes to the rear wheels. Not much there if you ask me...

#11 ·
Another way to look at it., them driving it out to you is a very good gesture, but it also shows how much they are trying to get rid of the car. Seeing as you have already driven that far for the test drive and are still interested, they likely believe that you will buy the car if it is delivered to you.

Do you know how long they have had it on their lot? The car might have other problems they are not telling you about, which might be why they are trying so hard to rid of it.

#12 · (Edited)
It's been for sale for about two months, coming up to three. Previous history checks out at four owners since 2006.

They checked the coils today and are now replacing all four, even though only one was faulty. Seems excessive to replace them all if they're in a hurry to hand it over as a half-dead POS. They did mention it may not solve the problem, in which case they said we'd forget about the sale since there will likely be bigger issues.

You guys keep telling me to walk away, but i'd still like to hear something more detailed from someone with first-hand experience as to why. No offense to anyone replying, i appreciate all the input i can get. If the coils and plugs are replaced and no further CEL issues or stuttering is present, how big a reason is there to assume it's going to go berserk on my wallet?

edit: For the record there are very, very few MPS/Mazdaspeed6 models for sale in my country. Only 100+ registered total.

#14 ·
It already has issues, the car's had 4 owners which means 4 different people who did fuck knows what with maintenance.... Speed 6's are special cars and they require a lot of care. I highly doubt that all 4 of those owners took extra special care of the car while they owned it.
It couldn't be said any better! That is your "Why?" answer. Remember, there are other cars out there. You never ever get hung up on just one. For me, the 4 owners thing is an absolute deal breaker. A high performance cars in the hands of 4 different people - no thanks.

#16 ·
Alright, keep your pants on Nihilus. What i was after was somebody tech-oriented who has possibly had fried coils and/or plugs due to engine moisture on his MS6. Or maybe seen or heard about another MS6 with such problems. Apparently not? If you haven't, why reply beyond your first stated opinion?

I don't remember asking for Speed3 advertisements or smartass remarks about you having seen the car, which i never suggested you had, but i can live with that. I haven't made up my mind about this particular individual, but i am really interested in it. I have full cash for it, so no need for loans or whatever = easy shopping.

I'll keep looking, thanks Deemo13 & Co.

#21 ·
It's not an advertisement... It's sound advice.

And what do you expect but smart ass remarks when you ask for opinions but disregard them?

Take that cash and buy it, keep us updated...

#18 ·
Buying any used turbo 'sport performance' car (WRX, STi, MS3, MS6, Evo, etc...) second hand is a really BAD idea unless you knew the previous owner, have a lot of cash, or have a lot of time to wrench on your own car.

If they grant you a two day no-obligation test drive, make sure it's a NO-OBLIGATION test drive; not one of those, you break it you buy it deals. After about 70 miles of normal driving, drive the hell out of the car, redline, rev-match, hard corners, figure 8's, etc... Then do a leakdown/compression test, find a local mechanic shop with a lift and look for any leaks, odd sounds, etc... If there is no CEL, or odd noises, then the car is 'okay' to buy if your heart is set on it.

Like others have said, we haven't seen the car so we're just basing our advice off what you tell us (granted there are the Speed6 owners that know better than me). In the end, it's all up to you.

I'm not talking out of my ass, I've done work on a MS6. We replaced the turbo, repaired the driveshaft, and the engine just got rebuilt because seals went bad; and I think piston rings or something crapped out (I wasn't there for the engine rebuild); then there's the regular maintenance of wear and tear items.

Said car. It has less than 70k miles and well kept. I'd buy this one no questions asked because I know the full history.

#20 ·
Buying any used turbo 'sport performance' car (WRX, STi, MS3, MS6, Evo, etc...) second hand is a really BAD idea unless you knew the previous owner, have a lot of cash, or have a lot of time to wrench on your own car.
Buying ANY used car, forget about what car it is, is a gamble if you don't know what you're looking at.

Just b/c it's a performance car doesn't mean you shouldn't buy used. These cars are not made anymore. Just check the car over properly or have a good shop do it & you will be fine.

#27 ·
I haven't read the entire thread but wanted to point out that, at least on the speed6, wet plugs are very, very, very rarely the cause of trouble.

Note the top mount intercooler, with the ducting pulling air in from the front grill. Now think about driving in the rain, and how much water is getting in, through the ducting, through the TMIC and into that channel where the plugs go.

Heck, note particularly the drain holes in that cavity for that very reason.

Bad coil packs happen, not a big deal. But from washing the engine I'd be more worried about the alternator & such than the plugs & coil packs.

#32 ·
Gotta say, I don't know a single Speed6 owner that wants a Speed3, but every Speed3 owner I know wants a Speed6....

#33 ·
There is a very good reason for that. I'm blown away by how much the MS3 is lacking. I miss my MS6 everyday. I had only a Sure RDS-06 in the rear and OEM shock and springs and it still handled better then the MS3 I have now sitting on Eibachs, Koni's, Sure RDS-05 sway bar. It was the perfectly balanced sport sedan.

#35 ·
I'm a sucker for a hatchback that goes choo choo.
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.