About to buy an MS6, some problems... - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Another way to look at it., them driving it out to you is a very good gesture, but it also shows how much they are trying to get rid of the car. Seeing as you have already driven that far for the test drive and are still interested, they likely believe that you will buy the car if it is delivered to you.

Do you know how long they have had it on their lot? The car might have other problems they are not telling you about, which might be why they are trying so hard to rid of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1996 Mazda Miata | Classic Red | PEP | Koni Yellows | Eibach Springs | Corbeau Forza
2014 Mazda6 "Mako" - 72k | 6MT | Magnapack Muffler | H&R Sport Springs | Koni Yellows

1981 RX7 - eh - Sold
2010 Mazda3 - 40k | 2.0L | H&R
Lowering | - Sold
1980 Mercedes-Benz 240D 4MT - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemo13 View Post
Another way to look at it., them driving it out to you is a very good gesture, but it also shows how much they are trying to get rid of the car. Seeing as you have already driven that far for the test drive and are still interested, they likely believe that you will buy the car if it is delivered to you.

Do you know how long they have had it on their lot? The car might have other problems they are not telling you about, which might be why they are trying so hard to rid of it.
It's been for sale for about two months, coming up to three. Previous history checks out at four owners since 2006.

They checked the coils today and are now replacing all four, even though only one was faulty. Seems excessive to replace them all if they're in a hurry to hand it over as a half-dead POS. They did mention it may not solve the problem, in which case they said we'd forget about the sale since there will likely be bigger issues.

You guys keep telling me to walk away, but i'd still like to hear something more detailed from someone with first-hand experience as to why. No offense to anyone replying, i appreciate all the input i can get. If the coils and plugs are replaced and no further CEL issues or stuttering is present, how big a reason is there to assume it's going to go berserk on my wallet?

edit: For the record there are very, very few MPS/Mazdaspeed6 models for sale in my country. Only 100+ registered total.

Last edited by ms6fi; 08-10-2015 at 01:57 PM.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Do whatever you want to do... Obviously what we're saying is having no effect. No one has first hand experience because we haven't seen or touched this particular vehicle.....

It already has issues, the car's had 4 owners which means 4 different people who did fuck knows what with maintenance.... Speed 6's are special cars and they require a lot of care. I highly doubt that all 4 of those owners took extra special care of the car while they owned it.

Today its plugs and wires, tomorrow you'll be back telling us the turbo is smoking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6fi View Post
If i'm still considering it (apparently i am...) i will be asking for some sort of a warranty regarding the plugs and coils, in case something else cooks up.
lol good luck with that

As I said before, you're better off with a newer, less beat on, Speed 3. You say you want AWD, but iirc the Speed 6 is FWD until they slip and then a maximum of 50% of the power goes to the rear wheels. Not much there if you ask me...

06 MX5 GT - w/ Susp. Package (Bilstein shocks and LSD), Prog. Tech. Springs, Bose/xCarlink/10 Inch Fosgate P2 with Alpine 250w amp, RoadsterSport 2 Muffler, Racing Beat catless midpipe, AEM CAI, RHT
05 6i, Glacier Silver - Traded!

Last edited by Nihilus; 08-10-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
It already has issues, the car's had 4 owners which means 4 different people who did fuck knows what with maintenance.... Speed 6's are special cars and they require a lot of care. I highly doubt that all 4 of those owners took extra special care of the car while they owned it.
It couldn't be said any better! That is your "Why?" answer. Remember, there are other cars out there. You never ever get hung up on just one. For me, the 4 owners thing is an absolute deal breaker. A high performance cars in the hands of 4 different people - no thanks.

2003 6i, 2005 3s, 2006 6s.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6fi View Post
It's been for sale for about two months, coming up to three. Previous history checks out at four owners since 2006.

They checked the coils today and are now replacing all four, even though only one was faulty. Seems excessive to replace them all if they're in a hurry to hand it over as a half-dead POS. They did mention it may not solve the problem, in which case they said we'd forget about the sale since there will likely be bigger issues.

You guys keep telling me to walk away, but i'd still like to hear something more detailed from someone with first-hand experience as to why. No offense to anyone replying, i appreciate all the input i can get. If the coils and plugs are replaced and no further CEL issues or stuttering is present, how big a reason is there to assume it's going to go berserk on my wallet?

edit: For the record there are very, very few MPS/Mazdaspeed6 models for sale in my country. Only 100+ registered total.
The thing about us on the forum is that we are seeing the car from the outside based on the things that we are told. We say things based on past experiences on this forum and what we are guessing is wrong with the car based on something similar to an average. A car having those problems would probably not be in good shape according to what you have told.

This is the other side of it. If I were in your shoes, I would likely be right where you are. I would completely agree with you, and I would have probably bought the car already haha. It seems like you have done your research. Two or three months is quite a long time for a car to be sitting on a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1996 Mazda Miata | Classic Red | PEP | Koni Yellows | Eibach Springs | Corbeau Forza
2014 Mazda6 "Mako" - 72k | 6MT | Magnapack Muffler | H&R Sport Springs | Koni Yellows

1981 RX7 - eh - Sold
2010 Mazda3 - 40k | 2.0L | H&R
Lowering | - Sold
1980 Mercedes-Benz 240D 4MT - Sold
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Alright, keep your pants on Nihilus. What i was after was somebody tech-oriented who has possibly had fried coils and/or plugs due to engine moisture on his MS6. Or maybe seen or heard about another MS6 with such problems. Apparently not? If you haven't, why reply beyond your first stated opinion?

I don't remember asking for Speed3 advertisements or smartass remarks about you having seen the car, which i never suggested you had, but i can live with that. I haven't made up my mind about this particular individual, but i am really interested in it. I have full cash for it, so no need for loans or whatever = easy shopping.

I'll keep looking, thanks Deemo13 & Co.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's one you should buy and have shipped to you:

2007 MazdaSpeed6 Built Motor

2003 6i, 2005 3s, 2006 6s.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Buying any used turbo 'sport performance' car (WRX, STi, MS3, MS6, Evo, etc...) second hand is a really BAD idea unless you knew the previous owner, have a lot of cash, or have a lot of time to wrench on your own car.

If they grant you a two day no-obligation test drive, make sure it's a NO-OBLIGATION test drive; not one of those, you break it you buy it deals. After about 70 miles of normal driving, drive the hell out of the car, redline, rev-match, hard corners, figure 8's, etc... Then do a leakdown/compression test, find a local mechanic shop with a lift and look for any leaks, odd sounds, etc... If there is no CEL, or odd noises, then the car is 'okay' to buy if your heart is set on it.

Like others have said, we haven't seen the car so we're just basing our advice off what you tell us (granted there are the Speed6 owners that know better than me). In the end, it's all up to you.

I'm not talking out of my ass, I've done work on a MS6. We replaced the turbo, repaired the driveshaft, and the engine just got rebuilt because seals went bad; and I think piston rings or something crapped out (I wasn't there for the engine rebuild); then there's the regular maintenance of wear and tear items.

Said car. It has less than 70k miles and well kept. I'd buy this one no questions asked because I know the full history.
TxGolfer likes this.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Groans: 15
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHas6 View Post
It couldn't be said any better! That is your "Why?" answer. Remember, there are other cars out there. You never ever get hung up on just one. For me, the 4 owners thing is an absolute deal breaker. A high performance cars in the hands of 4 different people - no thanks.
That's silly IMO. I'm now the 3rd owner of my Z06 & the car is heavily modified & is in mint condition with no issues.

2018 Charger Hellcat
1999 Corvette - Vortech 623 WHP
2004 Acura TL
2006 MAZDASPEED6 GT #3557 - SOLD!
2007 MAZDASPEED6 GT - SOLD!
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Groans: 15
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutoyy View Post
Buying any used turbo 'sport performance' car (WRX, STi, MS3, MS6, Evo, etc...) second hand is a really BAD idea unless you knew the previous owner, have a lot of cash, or have a lot of time to wrench on your own car.
Buying ANY used car, forget about what car it is, is a gamble if you don't know what you're looking at.

Just b/c it's a performance car doesn't mean you shouldn't buy used. These cars are not made anymore. Just check the car over properly or have a good shop do it & you will be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page