Mazda 6 Forums banner

Average Mpg for ur speed6??

20K views 100 replies 28 participants last post by  prdracing 
#1 ·
So i have been getting about 200mpg to a half tank, when im driving like granny.
What do you guys/girls get??

#44 ·
uhh youre definitely doing something wrong...or you just pulled those numbers out of your ass.

Reactions: Rainmens
#45 ·
@slow6
What the fuck is a matter with you!!

Attachments

#46 ·
#48 ·
Yeah, he mentioned his Speed being for sale in another thread, looks like fluffing the post count so he can hit the classifieds

#54 ·
lolz, if I wanted good mileage I would've purchased a car that wasn't so performance oriented.

The window sticker said 19 city
I get 19 city

I'm putting down ~150 hp more than stock & use the hell out of it (225 up to 370)

Needless to say I'm perfectly content... :) :thumbup:

#55 ·
Same here... If you buy an AWD vehicle that is 5+ years old your gonna get crappy mileage, comparatively speaking..

#57 ·
Thats true a good example is Subaru they are probably the only car manufacturer that offers full time AWD, and people getting them didnt care about mpgs since they were going for the AWD capability. The only way Subaru was able to improve their mpgs was by adding a CVT and with a new 2.0 boxer..

When you look at the AWD market more than 90% of the cars are on deman AWD/4WD meaning that they are either front/rear wheel drive all the times except when they detect wheel slip/loss of traction.

#58 ·
Watch the youtube test for awd. Most cars fail basic test one would assume awd could handle. Wonder if our car would pass.

#59 ·
I just looked at the first one that came up in a google search, and the failures were all from lack of a limited slip rear end.

We'd pass with flying colors.

Our AWD system is actually very good.

Reactions: f15ms6 and jm211
#61 ·
While I agree the system is good (powered me in and out of my parents unplowed driveway today without even a slip), I don't think we would pass that type of test.

There is not as much resistance as one may think in the limited slip portion of our diff to prevent one wheel from spinning faster than the other... The only vehicles that will pass a test where both wheels on one side are on rollers are vehicles that have true ability to transfer power from one side to another (via active braking systems, diff locker, or otherwise). Our system does not do that.

#60 · (Edited)
I purchased the MS6 because it was the best combination of performance, comfort, AWD and fuel economy available at the time and for the money I was willing to spend.

I average about 22-23mpg in the city with my current setup, and easily manage 29-30mpg on the highway in the winter with crap gas, and over 32mpg in the summer. I drive at between 68 and 72mph on the highway. The best I've ever done was drafting a semi for a significant chunk of a tank of gas (he was going 71mph), and managed 37.5mpg.

Basically, the mileage is there if you're willing to seek it out. The issues are primarily that you have to learn how to drive your car efficiently AND, it certainly helps to have a tune that gives you a little extra economy at low load on the highway.

I should also mention, I hand-calculate my mileage. The AP is worthless for that except as an indicator for deltas between one tank and another, and so forth.

#62 ·
Someone up for a roller test?

#66 ·
Snow tires on honda civic > MS6 with all season.

#70 ·
It's only shitty if you've been doing a lot of highway driving and haven't been going more than 75mph. If some/most of that has been city driving, it's about on par with what I would see. Projected out, that's still over 20mpg if you keep it up.

#69 ·
I haven't gotten gas since i filled up 2 Thursdays ago :) (December 26), and i am at or just a hair below 1/2 tank.

#71 ·
LOL, well that's only impressive if you have a long commute :p

#73 ·
A tank lasts me about 1.5 months. Im more worried about it going stale!

#75 ·
lol so you dont drive that often? lol have shorts highway commutes?

#76 ·
I work from home.
The car is a grocery getter and on-ramp widow maker!

#77 ·
That explains everything! I while it will be nice to work from home I am sure it can get boring after a while lol

#78 ·
Its ok. I def. Get more work done than b4 when i lived in fla amd worked in the office.

My neighbors must think im a bum...

#79 ·
Bradenton to Wausau must have been quite an adjustment. I wouldn't go outside either, for fear I'd turn into a fricken ice cube!

#80 · (Edited)
Ya, lol.

Im originally from up here. Went there to "explore" and get out of the sticks. Lived in Fl. For 3-4 yrs.

A great experience. Just packed up my geo prizm and drive down there - no job, no apartment.

Came back and i have a degree, a 230k house, car paid in full, a wife, a job. Im 25.

Overall, a sucess.

Edit: -55 windschill is bullshit.

Reactions: myarbro1
#81 ·
Lol at the edit. Good thing you don't have to get out much working from home. This is -16 real temp only -35 windchill from yesterday.Took forever to warm up.

Reactions: jm211
#82 ·
~24 MPG with a random mix of city and highway. It's pretty consistent.
I live in Utah and tend to stay out of boost unless I'm getting onto the freeway or the occasional twisty back road.
When I drove to Northern California in the summer I averaged about 80mph and got between 25-26 mpg.
Calculated by doing the old miles traveled/gas used formula.

#86 · (Edited)
How are people getting so much MPG? are you guys tracking the total miles per gas tank? If so, are you guys getting 400 miles per tank? Am I the only one who knows that the Speed6 is 15.9 gallon tank? that means that if I got 500miles per tank my MPG is 31.4. So how are people getting like 35MPG? That would mean they traveled 556 miles.

#87 · (Edited)
Yeah the Speed6 have a 15.9gl tank, its a good question but some say they use cruise control doing 55-60mph and I think I read that some of them have done it using a custom tune with the AP while doing an all highway road trip.

#88 ·
Im not nor has anyone suggested an AVG on 35mpg on a full tank.

If thats an average, youd see peaks of 40 and lows of 20.

Ive peaked an average of 30mpg, say over 100 miles. Mix driving in city, idle and i get 24ish.

My normal fillup is about 23-25 mpg avg over an entire tank. Why? Because 18psi!!!

#93 · (Edited)
That's not strictly accurate. I did suggest precisely that sort of mileage. The tank where I averaged 37.5mpg between fill-ups was the one where I posted the picture of my trip at ~352miles and just below 1/2 tank. It was a highway trip and I was drafting a semi most of the trip at ~70-71mph. A light foot and a decent tune for low load situations can do wonders for fuel economy.

The longest I've managed to stretch a tank out until I was worried about running out of fuel was around 517 miles, and I put in about 15.3 gallons, so I was really running on fumes at that point.

FWIW, I'm running a tune with 18.5psi, and most bolt-ons except for intake mani/exhaust mani, and turbo.

f15ms6 said:
Yeah the Speed6 have a 15.9gl tank, its a good question but some say they use cruise control doing 55-60mph and I think I read that some of them have done it using a custom tune with the AP while doing an all highway road trip.
Cruise control is only a decent hypermiling solution if you're on flat ground or headed downhill. You can usually beat it by using the pulse and glide technique though. I'm not recommending this though, as I'm not that serious a hypermiler. It only makes sense to drive like that on extremely long drives where there aren't a lot of other people on the road.

#90 ·
More boost does mean more fuel.

Google hypermiling and other techniques to squeeze more.

Standard driving yields standard mileage.

Note: i dont focus on mpg unless longer trip, then i do all i can to conserve fuel. Hypermiling is for eco pussies. Not to offend.

#91 ·
I have done it long trips too, when I had my Civic and while it worth it because I saved $$ its not fun at all and at times it was painful lol.. With the speed6 I just try to not get into boost, when driving in stop and go traffic.

#92 ·
Gosh. I LOVE 2nd gear. I pull the shit out of minivans. My wife HATES second gear - she thinks we will die. I'm like, babe, AWD.

This thread has turned into a shoot-the-shit thread.

I like it.

Reactions: myarbro1
#94 ·
I average 22 MPG consistently. Consisting of some city, some highway, and some spirited driving. The Lowest I've ever averaged was 18 MPG that was a lot of fun time during vacation from work. The highest I've ever gotten was 25mpg. That was right after I got my Spec Stage 2+ Clutch and drove like a grandma for 500 miles.

#95 ·
I see you are in the Poconos? Whats your average in the winter? I am getting 18-19mpg Mixed City Highway driving

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.