strange feeling through all pedals. - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
strange feeling through all pedals.

Ok, I have an almost bizzare question and I can't seem to find any posts on it specifically even for other car brands. Maybe I didn't use the right key words. It's one of those things that makes you wonder if it's you or the car that's the issue. Anyways, here it is:

When I am driving my 2007 MS6 I feel some pin and needles (tingling) in my feet and legs sometimes. This doesn't happen when I drive other vehicles including my honda accord. What I did notice is that this feeling seems to go away for the most part when I take my feet off the pedals (when on cruise control for example). I say for the most part because I think that if there is any tingling left, it is probably the residue from when I had my feet touching the pedals.

I've only put about 1300kms (800 miles) on the car. Bought it recently used and it has a total of 61,000km (38000 miles). Everything is stock except for the wheels and tires. I currently have 17" wheels (couldn't tell youthe brand) with winter tires (Nokian hakkapellita).

The funny thing is that my wife who also drives the car, can't feel any pins and needles. So what I did is that I sat in the car without turning the engine on and I can't feel anything either. So it's not my sitting position as a friend suggested to me. I also sat in the passenger side when my wife was driving and can't feel anything there either. It looks like it only happens when the car is moving and when I am touching the pedals. When idling, it is sometimes there and sometimes not.

I know there's been posts about clutch vibrations and things like that but it seems to "affect" all three pedals for me. It almost feels like there is an electric current that is passing through the pedals.

Otherwise, the car drives very smoothly and does not vibrate abnormally as far as I can tell.

Could it be some sort of vibration from the engine being transferred to the pedals (engine mounts, bushings, rear differential, etc...???).

I'll even try a stupid question here: could it be some sort of electric current being transferred to the pedals?

Or maybe I am hyper sensitive to vibrations....

I am not a car expert but there must be a way to at least dampen that feeling I have through the pedals.

Anybody can help me figure this out. It's really weird.
jmwan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Registered User
 
FORZDA 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gloucester, VA
Posts: 2,746
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 430
Thanked 820 Times in 435 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwan View Post
Ok, I have an almost bizzare question and I can't seem to find any posts on it specifically even for other car brands. Maybe I didn't use the right key words. It's one of those things that makes you wonder if it's you or the car that's the issue. Anyways, here it is:

When I am driving my 2007 MS6 I feel some pin and needles (tingling) in my feet and legs sometimes. This doesn't happen when I drive other vehicles including my honda accord. What I did notice is that this feeling seems to go away for the most part when I take my feet off the pedals (when on cruise control for example). I say for the most part because I think that if there is any tingling left, it is probably the residue from when I had my feet touching the pedals.

I've only put about 1300kms (800 miles) on the car. Bought it recently used and it has a total of 61,000km (38000 miles). Everything is stock except for the wheels and tires. I currently have 17" wheels (couldn't tell youthe brand) with winter tires (Nokian hakkapellita).

The funny thing is that my wife who also drives the car, can't feel any pins and needles. So what I did is that I sat in the car without turning the engine on and I can't feel anything either. So it's not my sitting position as a friend suggested to me. I also sat in the passenger side when my wife was driving and can't feel anything there either. It looks like it only happens when the car is moving and when I am touching the pedals. When idling, it is sometimes there and sometimes not.

I know there's been posts about clutch vibrations and things like that but it seems to "affect" all three pedals for me. It almost feels like there is an electric current that is passing through the pedals.

Otherwise, the car drives very smoothly and does not vibrate abnormally as far as I can tell.

Could it be some sort of vibration from the engine being transferred to the pedals (engine mounts, bushings, rear differential, etc...???).

I'll even try a stupid question here: could it be some sort of electric current being transferred to the pedals?

Or maybe I am hyper sensitive to vibrations....

I am not a car expert but there must be a way to at least dampen that feeling I have through the pedals.

Anybody can help me figure this out. It's really weird.
Well, it sure sounds like you have at least one bent connecting rod. This is the precursor to a rod collapse and resulting catastophic engine failure. My guess is that this car was modded and run hard without proper tuning prior to trade-in.

`07 Speed6 Sport Titanium Gray w/Cobb; ETS; CorkSport; TXS; M2Perf; BNR S3; DNP; MAP; Perrin; KMD; F2; SM; Labonte... Yeah, I really like Mazda... ZOOM! freakin' ZOOOOOM!

`11 Ducati 1198SP Red

`12 Ducati 1100SP EVO Corse Hypermotard

`12 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
FORZDA 1 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORZDA 1 View Post
Well, it sure sounds like you have at least one bent connecting rod. This is the precursor to a rod collapse and resulting catastophic engine failure. My guess is that this car was modded and run hard without proper tuning prior to trade-in.
FORDZA, thanks for the reply. What do you recommend if that is the case? Is this something that can be easily checked for?
jmwan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Registered User
 
FORZDA 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gloucester, VA
Posts: 2,746
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 430
Thanked 820 Times in 435 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwan View Post
FORDZA, thanks for the reply. What do you recommend if that is the case? Is this something that can be easily checked for?
Yes, there are steps to check to make sure the rods are not bent and the crankshaft id not oscillating end-to-end while running. Definitely not a DIY unless you're experienced.

`07 Speed6 Sport Titanium Gray w/Cobb; ETS; CorkSport; TXS; M2Perf; BNR S3; DNP; MAP; Perrin; KMD; F2; SM; Labonte... Yeah, I really like Mazda... ZOOM! freakin' ZOOOOOM!

`11 Ducati 1198SP Red

`12 Ducati 1100SP EVO Corse Hypermotard

`12 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
FORZDA 1 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORZDA 1 View Post
Yes, there are steps to check to make sure the rods are not bent and the crankshaft id not oscillating end-to-end while running. Definitely not a DIY unless you're experienced.
I guess I have to take it back to the dealership so they can check. I am certainly not capable of doing that.

Would it not make some sort of noise if the connecting rod was bent? I can't seem to hear any noise at all.

thanks.
jmwan is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Registered User
 
FORZDA 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gloucester, VA
Posts: 2,746
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 430
Thanked 820 Times in 435 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwan View Post
Would it not make some sort of noise if the connecting rod was bent? I can't seem to hear any noise at all..
It won't make noise until it is pretty badly bent. You MAY be lucky and only have a problem with the clutch or engine mounts, but all are expensive unless you have warranty. Make SURE you get documention that you brought the car in for this problem.

`07 Speed6 Sport Titanium Gray w/Cobb; ETS; CorkSport; TXS; M2Perf; BNR S3; DNP; MAP; Perrin; KMD; F2; SM; Labonte... Yeah, I really like Mazda... ZOOM! freakin' ZOOOOOM!

`11 Ducati 1198SP Red

`12 Ducati 1100SP EVO Corse Hypermotard

`12 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
FORZDA 1 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORZDA 1 View Post
It won't make noise until it is pretty badly bent. You MAY be lucky and only have a problem with the clutch or engine mounts, but all are expensive unless you have warranty. Make SURE you get documention that you brought the car in for this problem.

Will do!! Thanks. I've already booked an appointment for Next Monday. I'll have them check the engine mounts too. I do have 3 years warranty left.

Thanks FORDZA
jmwan is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jmwan For This Useful Post:
FORZDA 1 (01-27-2011)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Ok so the dealership called me and said that it is the spring coils and rubber mounts that need to be replaced. Unfortunately I don't know much about this but does that make sense to anybody?
jmwan is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Registered User
 
FORZDA 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gloucester, VA
Posts: 2,746
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 430
Thanked 820 Times in 435 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwan View Post
Ok so the dealership called me and said that it is the spring coils and rubber mounts that need to be replaced. Unfortunately I don't know much about this but does that make sense to anybody?
Hmmm? Well it doesn't make much sense to me either. Can you get a better detailed description of what they "think" it is? I could see there may be a connection between your vibration issues and the engine mounts, especially the passenger side mount, but I can't fathom ANY connection to "springs". Maybe something is lost in the translation?

`07 Speed6 Sport Titanium Gray w/Cobb; ETS; CorkSport; TXS; M2Perf; BNR S3; DNP; MAP; Perrin; KMD; F2; SM; Labonte... Yeah, I really like Mazda... ZOOM! freakin' ZOOOOOM!

`11 Ducati 1198SP Red

`12 Ducati 1100SP EVO Corse Hypermotard

`12 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
FORZDA 1 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Registered User
 
FORZDA 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gloucester, VA
Posts: 2,746
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 430
Thanked 820 Times in 435 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
If this is all covered under warranty, then you'll likely need to let them go ahead and swap out all the parts they want, but beware they might want to charge YOU for their poor troubleshooting. FYI, the OEMs do NOT allow them their shop time for this so they tend to pass the cost on to the customer disguised as other services they did or did not perform.

`07 Speed6 Sport Titanium Gray w/Cobb; ETS; CorkSport; TXS; M2Perf; BNR S3; DNP; MAP; Perrin; KMD; F2; SM; Labonte... Yeah, I really like Mazda... ZOOM! freakin' ZOOOOOM!

`11 Ducati 1198SP Red

`12 Ducati 1100SP EVO Corse Hypermotard

`12 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
FORZDA 1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome