How-To Replace HVAC Light bulbs - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to chisss Send a message via MSN to chisss
Many members here including myself have had this problem where the lights in the HVAC controls go out. Here is a step by step on how to replace them

Tools needed:
- Phillips Screw Driver
- 10mm Socket
- socket wrench extension
- Socket wrench
- Pliers
- Light bulb replacement

Ok So first remove the trim starting from the cupholders. Pull up on one corner and work your way around. When you get to the part where it splits right behind the shifter just pull it up.

Then unscrew the shift knob and remove it. Then pull the trim starting from the side that is now open. the part that mates with the radio/hvac control is not clipped, you just move the trim towars the back of the car and it comes off, you'll see it.

Now, remove the 2 Phillips head screws at the bottom of the HVAC control. One on each side.

Now remove the glove box

Open it and undo the string that is attached on the right side of it and then push on the top sides of the glove box to remove it. It comes down and slides out. It's ok the let the string go, it rolls back in but you can still get it back later with no problems

Now get the 10mm socket with the extension and hook it to here:

Be careful not to drop it!

Here is a wider angle shoot so you can see whereabouts it is. It's attached to the stereo so you have an idea. (unfortunately in this pic the bolt is hidden behind that plastic piece, you can kinda see a little bit of it)

Now, Once that is removed pull on the stereo from the bottom of the HVAC control and from one of the vents, jiggle it and pull it towards you, It unclips and comes out.
***NOTE*** PUT THE SHIFT KNOB BACK ON SO YOU DON'T SCRATCH THE PLASTIC FROM THE STEREO (Don't ask me how I know this... )

Now that the radio is off proceed to disconnect the wires behind the stereo, also unplug that clip that is holding a big bundle of wires and is attached to the stereo. Just push it in on one of the sides and jiggle it out.

The harness attached to the stereo has a clip, feel it and push it in and pull the harness out. It's a PITA but that's how it is. Also unplug the antenna (thick black cable on the left when you look at it from the top of the stereo) Just pull it out, there is no clip. WATCH THE KNUCKLES! lol

Once the harness is off unplug the harness on the HVAC controls, also have clips, feel them and push them in and jiggle them out. There are 2, one on each side.

Now that that is removed and you are less frustrated turn it around and look at the HVAC controls. There are 6 screws holding the module. 2 attached to the module itself on the sides and 4 attached to that metal clip. Remove them all and take the module out.
** At this point you may be able to get those really thin needle nose pliers and unscrew the bulbs out and not do the next steps, I haven't tried it so I am not sure, if not the next steps are not bad anyway**

Now look at the module, there are 4 screws, take them out and then unclip the back starting from the side that has 2 clips, it's easier but BE CAREFUL NOT TO BREAK THEM. I used my nails to lift them, they are not that hard so be careful.

Now that it's removed you can see where the bulbs are, Mine has that hole because I had removed it to get the light bulb. it' clips/unclips by twisting it to the left or right.

If it's hard you need to use pliers, make sure it's clipped all the way, you can see all of them are facing the same way, so keep it that way. The little holes in the bulbs are up and down.

Once it's in, reverse the steps on putting everything back together and you are all set!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chisss For This Useful Post:
cfdp (03-04-2010), DrFeelGood (12-24-2018), elvc (10-23-2013), Final Impact (09-12-2012), gtatimz (11-28-2014), rommazz (03-17-2014), SonicNutrition (05-03-2012), xxxxxxxxJDW1 (05-03-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice write up! Just when I thought I was the only one with a light out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 MAZDASPEED6

FREEKTUNED @ 20PSI // COBB AP V3 // CPE TMIC // COBB SF // PG TIH // DENSO ITV22s // AUTOTECH INTERNALS // SURE TP // MAGNAFLOW CATBACK // JBR OCC // JBR IM SPACER // JBR PASSENGER & TRANNY MOUNT // SURE RMM // H&R SPRINGS // XXR 530 18X8.75 +35 // CAR LED TAILS // CPE REAR DIF MOUNT // TURBINE TECH FRONT DIF MOUNT // CPE TOW HOOK // 35% TINT // 3M DINOC WRAPPED ROOF // AUTOEXE CARBON FIBER BADGELESS GRILL
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WTF! That write up sucks. You didnt tell me how to unlock and get into my car!

2006 Liquid Platinum Mazdaspeed 6
13.8@97mph
Megan springs, black rear badge, black powdercoated OEM wheels, HD Front Lip, AutoExe CF grill, AWD disable switch, STRI 60mm Boost Gauge
LED Tail lights, Hawk brake pads, Nokya JDM yellow fogs, Shorty antenna, cp-e 3" catback, cp-e intake, SU test pipe, BSD</span></span></span></span></span> </span></span></span></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Groans: 3
QUOTE (cincySVT @ Apr 2 2009, 09:47 PM)
Quote:
WTF! That write up sucks. You didnt tell me how to unlock and get into my car! [/b]

2006 MAZDASPEED6

FREEKTUNED @ 20PSI // COBB AP V3 // CPE TMIC // COBB SF // PG TIH // DENSO ITV22s // AUTOTECH INTERNALS // SURE TP // MAGNAFLOW CATBACK // JBR OCC // JBR IM SPACER // JBR PASSENGER & TRANNY MOUNT // SURE RMM // H&R SPRINGS // XXR 530 18X8.75 +35 // CAR LED TAILS // CPE REAR DIF MOUNT // TURBINE TECH FRONT DIF MOUNT // CPE TOW HOOK // 35% TINT // 3M DINOC WRAPPED ROOF // AUTOEXE CARBON FIBER BADGELESS GRILL
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Groans: 9
QUOTE (cincySVT @ Apr 2 2009, 09:47 PM)
Quote:
WTF! That write up sucks. You didnt tell me how to unlock and get into my car! [/b]
Quote:
Wow................ what an ASS [/b]

2006 Mazdaspeed6: Gone

Need the pod for your gauge? Read here ======>
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

hahahaha ok, carefully take your key out and push on the... ah screw it... Take a brick and .... lol

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
QUOTE (chisss @ Apr 2 2009, 10:21 PM)
Quote:
hahahaha ok, carefully take your key out and push on the... ah screw it... Take a brick and .... lol[/b]
Agreed!! lol Nice write up!! Im sure this will be used by several members here!! i just sent to aviator79 to add to index of links and faq

06 speed6, COBB AP, Denso ITV22, Fujita CAI, Greddy Oil Catch Can, HKS Blowoff Valve, AWD Switch, Autometer boost Gauge in vent Pod, Spin-On Oil Filter, ETS 3.5 intercooler, DashHawk, Turbine Tech Rear Differential Front Mount, Corksport Catback Exhaust, CP-E rear differential mount, GT3071R w 38mm Tail external wg, Autotec HPFP internals, DNP Manifold, ASA AR1 with 225/40R-18 KUMHO ASX

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 11:06 PM

QUOTE (joespeed6 @ Apr 2 2009, 06:52 PM)
Quote:
Agreed!! lol Nice write up!! Im sure this will be used by several members here!! i just sent to aviator79 to add to index of links and faq[/b]
Wow you guys are retards if you didnt see the sarcasm in my post. Drrr I was the op of the thread that inturn turned into this thread so... :P

13.8@97mph
Megan springs, black rear badge, black powdercoated OEM wheels, HD Front Lip, AutoExe CF grill, AWD disable switch, STRI 60mm Boost Gauge
LED Tail lights, Hawk brake pads, Nokya JDM yellow fogs, Shorty antenna, cp-e 3" catback, cp-e intake, SU test pipe, BSD</span></span></span></span></span> </span></span></span></span>
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

hehe thanks
Quote:
Wow you guys are retards if you didnt see the sarcasm in my post. Drrr I was the op of the thread that inturn turned into this thread so...[/b]
We are kidding,

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 11:17 PM

QUOTE (chisss @ Apr 2 2009, 07:10 PM)
Quote:
hehe thanks

We are kidding, [/b]

To late...my feelings are hurt!
No really, this is a great walk through. I was thinking about doing the same thing but a video for all my mods I install. Slap it on youtube, easy step by step for members.

Btw I will be doing mine this weekend hopefully. Im excited to be fully lit again. Sticky this shit.

13.8@97mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page