40k miles. Going for a brake check up soon. Anything else I should ask to be checked? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By OceanMetTheSky

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
40k miles. Going for a brake check up soon. Anything else I should ask to be checked?

I am taking my car in for an oil change at 40k miles. I have been noticing a hesitation with braking. The brake pads have not been replaced so i am going to assume that is one thing. The car also seems to struggle to accelerate after stops lately.

At this mileage, what other things should I generally be asking for them to check into or look at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Garage
The OEM brake pads and rotors are soft and wear fast. Almost every GJ Mazda 6 has this issue. They will mostly likely recommend replacement. I would recommend to not go back with oem rotors or pads.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

*2014 M6GT, Maxie G, stock as she can be.
*2009 Mazda 3 Sport - Sold
*1993 Mazda Protégé, Sell Pending*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Damn... the rotors too? I dont mind replacing the brake pads because that isn't too costly, but its pretty ridiculous to have to replace the rotors this early. They dont look warped. I know they still may be but damn i hope not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMetTheSky View Post
Damn... the rotors too? I dont mind replacing the brake pads because that isn't too costly, but its pretty ridiculous to have to replace the rotors this early. They dont look warped. I know they still may be but damn i hope not.
Even when people get them resurfaced they still warped in a short amount of time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Do you have any brand recommendations? Not sure what the shop i go to will have in stock but i am curious. I also see conflicting rotor/brake pad and installation costs as a general number. Seems to really vary.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

So this is a follow up to this thread: I must've been one of the lucky ones when it comes to the pads and rotors because they told me neither needed to be replaced. The cabin filter was completely dirty so they changed that and a few more filters. Brake fluid was good, coolant was good, etc.

They did have to reseal the portion of my car the drains accumulated water from the moon roof.
But other than that, everything is running smoothly now, so maybe it was just the filter!
idrive and 93blkongreenpro like this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMetTheSky View Post
So this is a follow up to this thread: I must've been one of the lucky ones when it comes to the pads and rotors because they told me neither needed to be replaced. The cabin filter was completely dirty so they changed that and a few more filters. Brake fluid was good, coolant was good, etc.

They did have to reseal the portion of my car the drains accumulated water from the moon roof.
But other than that, everything is running smoothly now, so maybe it was just the filter!
Good to know!

I bought my car used, 4 years old with 52xxx miles. The cabin filter had to be original, which is weird bc the carfac shows they went to the same dealership for all services. By time I changed it, it was black and my thoughts were confirmed on why the car smelled musty upon start up.

On brakes, I always try to do brembo blank or centric rotors and my go too pads are Wagner oex. They are a good combo, dont break the bank and have good reliable consistant stopping power.

The Following User Says Thank You to 93blkongreenpro For This Useful Post:
OceanMetTheSky (06-06-2019)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thanks for the information! When it comes time for replacing, I will resort back to this thread and look into the rotors and pads.

The portion they resealed relating to the moon roof, they checked this out because of a sound I was hearing towards the rear of the car. It sounded like it was coming from the trunk area, like things moving around. I do keep things in the trunk but i've never heard that sound before so i knew it wasn't that. I could hear it at random times, usually slower speeds over bumps and turns but not every time. It sounded like something sliding around. I didn't hear it the day i got my car back and they said they thought thats what was causing the noise, the drainage portion for the moon roof in the trunk. I started hearing it about a day later. I haven't even brought my car back because i doubt they could trouble shoot it since they originally looked for hours.

Day before yesterday, I unlatched both of the back seats and slammed them down back in place. I didn't hear the sound that entire day. Then began to hear it the next day and it sounds like it is still coming from that general trunk area, but in a different area than the passenger rear area. So I am wondering if there isnt something small that is stuck/lodged/moving around the area that is under the seats that you can't really reach considering it seems to stop whenever i slam the seats in tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page